Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Questions concerning Monsoon and convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions concerning Monsoon and convertible

I recently bought a 2000 SS ragtop. The previous owner had an aftermarket deck in it and put the stock Monsoon CD player back in when he sold it. First, the front speakers aren't working. Dealer said they're probably unhooked at the back of the deck, I think I can fix that myself. Second, I'd like to add a set of subs, I have a set of MTX 8' boxes. I believe the Monsoon came with an amp but I wasn't able to locate it in the trunk area, found the spare and fuel pump I think but no amp. So where is the amp, if I have one, and can I hook up a set of subs to it? Thanks for the help, I searched but didn't find anything specific to ragtops.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:36 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the coupes , it is on the right side just in front of the antenna in the rear 1/4 panel, should be the same in the 'verts . remove the inner panel like you were going to remove the spare tire and you should see it .it looks like a black panel because the heat sinks are facing the fender .
Old 06-27-2004, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

ok, I'll do that. I had stopped looking once I saw the spare. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no prob , dude, glad to help
Old 07-29-2004, 07:29 AM
Teching In

This does not necessarily relate to the aforementioned post, but certainly concerning the Monsoon system and a convertible (2000 SS).

Yesterday I attempted to replace the stock door panel speakers with the Alpine 170A units. I've hooked up the speakers exactly as directed in the sticky post, but I get some distortion from the passenger side speaker when the volume is kicked up. Thinking that there was something wrong that with that particular speaker, I switched the driver side and passenger side speakers and the same distortion was coming out of the different speaker (i.e., the problem does not lie within the speaker).

Could my amp or head unit be messed up? Is the wiring different because this is a convertible? How should I wire the speakers?

I seem to have eliminated the distortion when I connected only the mid bass wires—what does that mean?

Thanks for any help you can provide.