Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

DRL question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DRL question

I just noticed that my blinkers, no longer turn on when i start my car, the DRL's, how can i fix this? is it like a relay or module or something that turns them on? if so where is it?
thanks
jimmy
Old 07-27-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bulbs might be burnt out?
Old 07-27-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

If the indicators stay solid inside the dash pod the bulbs are done, if the DRLs won't go on at all are the headlights going on instead? Also the DRL system I heard from the dealer has a lot of problems, same place is where my problem lays. I am replacing the module tomorrow to actually get my headlights back. Also check in the vent on top and see if there is anything blocking the sensor area for the DRL (it's near the alarm light)
Old 07-28-2004, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

let me give some more info...

about 3 years ago, i disabled the automatic headlights, but the orange ones (the blinkers) always stayed on. Now the blinkers work, so its not the bulbs, but they are not on at all times anymore.

any ideas now??

thanks
jimmy
Old 07-28-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could still be the bulbs, there are 2 filaments in each of the "orange" bulbs.

They are easy to pull out and look at, if anything, just to eliminate the easy stuff first.

Paul
Originally Posted by jimmy 2 Times
let me give some more info...

about 3 years ago, i disabled the automatic headlights, but the orange ones (the blinkers) always stayed on. Now the blinkers work, so its not the bulbs, but they are not on at all times anymore.

any ideas now??

thanks
jimmy
Old 07-29-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

The DRL module behind the stereo may be trying to switch over to the headlights but with the relay blown it may not work. Do you hear any snapping sound or anything from behind the stereo or over near the headlight switch?
Old 07-29-2004, 07:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman
Could still be the bulbs, there are 2 filaments in each of the "orange" bulbs.

They are easy to pull out and look at, if anything, just to eliminate the easy stuff first.

Paul
If the turn signals work then it's not the bulbs. The DRLs and turn signals both use the bright filament in the bulbs. The running lights are what uses the other filament in the bulbs.

How about this - how did you disable the automatic headlights? Did you do the usual "short the sensor wires" mod? It's possible that the resistor or shorting wire that you connected the sensor leads with has broken or come loose. That would make the system think it's always dark so your headlights would come on instead of the DRLs.

Another possibility is the parking brake switch. The DRLs won't come on if the parking brake is engaged. That is determined by a grounding switch at the lever. If the switch is bad or the circuit is grounded someplace else then the DRLs would not come on.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I stand corrected...
Old 07-29-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

My DRL Module crapped out and needed to be replaced. Tell tale sign was headlight's came on even though parking brake had not been released. So just to lend credence to the thought that there may be problems w/ the DRL modules on these cars...