Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alternator wires? Ground strap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 01:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator wires? Ground strap?

Finishing my project of putting a 382 Stroker '03 LS6 into a '98 SS. Had no motor, no tranny to start out with. I'm to the point of hooking up the alternator. I see the stock harness has a small two wire plug with just one wire going to it (Looks like the previous owner spliced it this way with two or three pieces of short, different sized wire???) The alternator I ended up getting is from a Corvette, I think, and it has a four wire plug to it.
What do I need to do to hook this up?
Also I seen on my friends Camaro what looked like a ground strap going to the alternator. Does this in fact go to the alternator, and where does it bolt to?
To sum up...I can figure out the big wire easy, but what about the ground strap and the four wire plug???
Thanks in advance guys!
Dan
Old 07-30-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

The alternator on a '98 F-Body does not have a separate ground strap attached to it. It's ground is through the three mounting points. Who knows why it's there.

The 4 port weatherpack is for the exciter wire.This "tells" the alternator to begin charging.On a '98 this is a switched 12v signal.

There are instructions somewhere on this site for jumpering the harness wires for a corvette alternator. Search the Conversions section OR do what I did and have your alternator converted to a one wire set-up
Old 07-30-2004, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Default Alternator

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
The alternator on a '98 F-Body does not have a separate ground strap attached to it. It's ground is through the three mounting points. Who knows why it's there.

The 4 port weatherpack is for the exciter wire.This "tells" the alternator to begin charging.On a '98 this is a switched 12v signal.

There are instructions somewhere on this site for jumpering the harness wires for a corvette alternator. Search the Conversions section OR do what I did and have your alternator converted to a one wire set-up
Thanks Chad, I'll have to check. I'm pretty sure I have seen that on here somewhere.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:23 AM
I can shift faster than you.

The ground strap attaches to the block behind alternator. As mentioned above, the alternator is grounded by the bolts attaching it to the block.