Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

remote start instructions??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Remote Start Instructions??

Well I had a Viper 791 installled, but no remote start ... so I have to do it myself (I know the risks and etc.). I have a question or two, I was hoping someone would answer...

1. Where can I find a connection for the tachometer input wire?

2. Where do I connect the neutral safety switch input (should I just ground it? or hook it up to the ebrake?)

3. How do I bypass the clutch to let it start?

If anyone can provide some technical advice or links to tutorials for the f-body and M6remote start.

Thank you SOO much for your help.

Last edited by SteelBallz; 09-15-2004 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Launching!

ttt...

Also, I want this done as safely as possible so Does anyone know any tricks to only let it start like when the ebrake is on or when it is only in neutral.. Could I use my hoodswith to control some additional safety feature (ebrake)? If someone could help out that would be AWESOME.

I don't want it to be too involved, because I have only limited experience with electrical circuits.

Last edited by SteelBallz; 09-15-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Help me....
Old 09-16-2004, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Thanks sooo much to WhiteBird00 and TA TED for answering my questions!

I got all the info that I need now...
Old 09-17-2004, 06:36 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

mind posting that info here? PleasE?
Old 09-18-2004, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
1. There are two connectors to the PCM under the hood on the right side firewall - a red one and a blue one. The tach signal wire is the white wire in position 10 of the red connector. Be careful - there are two white wires in the red connector and they're only three pins apart. The one you want is the one that is farther away from the center of the connector (where the attaching screw goes).

2. Connect the neutral wire to the parking brake switch (light blue wire) under the console at the base of the parking brake lever. DO NOT just ground the wire! That parking brake connection may be the only thing that keeps your M6 from going into a wall if you try to remote start with it in gear. With the parking brake on you shouldn't have a problem - the remote start won't be able to get enough RPM because it can't move the car so it will give up. I had that happen a few times - the car rocks forward but doesn't go anywhere. Without the parking brake the starter could drive the car forward several feet.

3. On the clutch pedal bracket there are two switches (if you have cruise control). The one you want has only two wires - purple with white stripe and dark green. Connect those two wires together and the car will start without the clutch depressed.

Be careful! The reason the shop wouldn't connect the remote starter is safety and liability concerns with the M6 transmission. I used it for years without problems on my M6 but I never tried to remote start unless I was within sight of the car and I made sure the parking brake was on at all times.

Good luck.
There ya go.... if you wanna know how to bypass the VATS then WhiteBird00 told me how to do that also...
Old 09-18-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

About the safety switch... I have MANY TIMES pulled the Ebrake, remote started the car, and it WILL NOT DIE. THE CAR WILL KEEP GOING...

His brakes are better then all the diff cars ive tested this on...
Old 09-18-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteelBallz
There ya go.... if you wanna know how to bypass the VATS then WhiteBird00 told me how to do that also...
go get a resistor that matches the one on your key
Old 09-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
About the safety switch... I have MANY TIMES pulled the Ebrake, remote started the car, and it WILL NOT DIE. THE CAR WILL KEEP GOING...

His brakes are better then all the diff cars ive tested this on...
The DEI remote start systems can be programmed to give up if the proper RPM reading isn't achieved in a set time period. With the car in gear, the engine will never reach that speed. So the parking brake is used just to keep the starter motor from moving the car when it attempts to start. If your parking brake can't hold the car against the starter motor then perhaps it needs adjusting. Hell, my parking brake will stall the motor if I don't give it extra gas. Also, keep the RPM check time down to the shortest time necessary to get the car started so as not to burn out your starter motor.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The DEI remote start systems can be programmed to give up if the proper RPM reading isn't achieved in a set time period. With the car in gear, the engine will never reach that speed. So the parking brake is used just to keep the starter motor from moving the car when it attempts to start. If your parking brake can't hold the car against the starter motor then perhaps it needs adjusting. Hell, my parking brake will stall the motor if I don't give it extra gas. Also, keep the RPM check time down to the shortest time necessary to get the car started so as not to burn out your starter motor.

ahh good call man. Sometimes when you install all the time you dont ever get to reading the manual to find the little (yet important) options