Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

blown or loose sub?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown or loose sub?

i played a song last night with more bass than i thought my system could ever have - bone/thugs crossroads. as soon as i stopped the car and listened, i heard serious vibrations - not rattles, but it sounded like the sub. sure enough, i got out of the car, and opened the hatch and watched the sub. on the big notes that had so much bass, the sub seems to be vibrating (something???) and it didn't seem normal.

i played other songs and they had no problem, so i really didn't think i had blown the sub; also there were no pops, and i thought blown meant there were usually pops. i went back to that song and tried pressing the sub down a little better on the box, and it *seemed* like it did something.

i only have 4 screws holding that sub down - is that not enough? if i need to, i can definitely put the other 4 in there also. let me know what you think i should do.

how do you blow a sub anyway? and if i do have a blown sub, how'd i do it? heh...
Old 09-24-2004, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would say, start by putting all the screws on it. If that doesnt clear it up. I would turn the stereo and lightly press EVENLY on the cone to see if it rubs. If it does you probably blew your voice coil. If it doesnt i would check to make sure the wire that goes to your voice coil from the terminal is not hitting the spider or the cone.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have already done the rub test, and it is definitely not rubbing or making any sound whatsoever when i push in on it.

is 4 screws usually considered enough in this kind of application (200 watts, 4 ohms)??

Last edited by tuffluck; 09-24-2004 at 02:14 AM.