Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

which HU... Rockford Fosgate RFX9420 or Alpine CDA-9835 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default which HU... Rockford Fosgate RFX9420 or Alpine CDA-9835 ?

as title says.

Which of the 2 would you chose and why ?
I'm looking for SQ.

Alpine CDA-9835:

Rockford Fosgate RFX9420:
Old 12-10-2004, 03:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I have an Alpine head unit very similar to that one and I love it. Alpine is just pure quality, period. Rockford Fosgate is cheaper, but you get what you pay for. And, on top of that, other head units may claim to output more power to the speakers, but Alpine is the only one that ACTUALLY outputs the wattage that they claim. Others claim much higher than they actually put out. Plus, you can fine tune things much better with its built in equalizer and crossover settings (and you can even download settings from Alpine's site onto cd, then just put the cd into your head unit and it sets everything to how you specified).... no contest I would go with Alpine any day of the week. Of course this is just my two cents (although I have basically a completely alpine system as stated in my sig and it's absolutely kick *** and never had an ounce of a problem)
Old 12-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Banned

i have the alpine 9835 and i love it. in my truck i had the rockford 9220 and i didnt like it you couldnt really control your speakers or subs, all there was, was bass treble and how loud you want your sub. with my 9835 you can control freq, and hertz. you can also have it say anything you want when you turn it on with the Ipersonilize and with the time correction it sounds awesome
Old 12-10-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Personally I have an Alpine head unit very similar to that one and I love it. Alpine is just pure quality, period. Rockford Fosgate is cheaper, but you get what you pay for. And, on top of that, other head units may claim to output more power to the speakers, but Alpine is the only one that ACTUALLY outputs the wattage that they claim. Others claim much higher than they actually put out. Plus, you can fine tune things much better with its built in equalizer and crossover settings (and you can even download settings from Alpine's site onto cd, then just put the cd into your head unit and it sets everything to how you specified).... no contest I would go with Alpine any day of the week. Of course this is just my two cents (although I have basically a completely alpine system as stated in my sig and it's absolutely kick *** and never had an ounce of a problem)
Actually, power output is not an issue.
Actually, if you look at the RF HU, you'll notice that it does not include any amp in it... only pre-amp output... and is more expensive than the Alpine 9835.
The RF HU in question is supposed to be better than the 9220, and I heard both the Alpine and RF, but the 9831 and 9220 models respectively, and the RF sounded better... both systems went through the same amp (t-series of RF) and same speakers (Focal K2P)

Since I don't care about the integrated amp, since I'll be running ext. amps, I was thinking the RF was of better quality.
:dunno:
Old 12-10-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

i vote alpine, you get time correction, parametric eq, 3 or 2 way digital 6 position xover, etc

the rf does have 8v preouts tho...
Old 12-10-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by badhoopty
i vote alpine, you get time correction, parametric eq, 3 or 2 way digital 6 position xover, etc

the rf does have 8v preouts tho...
Exactly, that's what i was trying to get at. You have much more control than with the RF, however the 8v pre-outs are better if you're gonna run amps and subs. But, I think I'd rather be able to extremely fine tune my sound. Like I said, it's all up to personal opinion. I just have never met someone with an Alpine head unit that has not absolutely loved it. And I am sort of biased agianst RF because of the mulitude of crappy amps and subs crowding stereo sections in places like Best Buy . And, I have been through a couple head units myself of various brands, but nothin compares to my Alpine. Just tryin to provide a bit of insight. Good luck though.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i am gonna be running through ext amps (1 for the speakers, and 1 for the subs.. both RF-t8002) The speakers will be Focals Utopias 165W front, no rear speakers.
I love both HU
but just want to get the best SQ out of the system... heck, I don't even care if the HU would not support MP3 formats... I hate the format... lower q.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Banned

im now selling my Alpine 9835 for $350. i decided to go with an alpine dvd player and i must get rid of this one first email me at tschmidt098@hotmail.com if interested
Old 12-13-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry... made my mind on this unit:
get best of both worlds:
Clarion DRZ-9255

Thanks,
Old 12-31-2004, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

the best thing i noticed about the apline is you have 522 color range for the display
i found red and it blends right in

Last edited by utahws6; 12-31-2004 at 09:01 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 01-01-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

No question Alpine over RF... the RF units are manufactured by Jensen, and lower quality.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:02 AM
On The Tree

The alpine is going to sound a lot cleaner than the RF unit, but that clarion is a really sweet deck too, just very basic feature wise, and very expensive.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Clarion is awesome I've always been a fan, their sound quality is always great. sometimes though their build quality has left something to be desired. be gentle with it and you'll have many years of happy audio motoring!

Quick Reply: which HU... Rockford Fosgate RFX9420 or Alpine CDA-9835 ?