Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can't find answer to this speaker wiring question..

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't find answer to this speaker wiring question..

My rear factory 4x6 2 way's are blown and I have a new set of Alpine 2 way 4x6's to go back in. I pull the factory speakers out and there are 4 wires going to them. I try 2 of them on the drivers side and 2 of them on the pass. side and now I have 2 completely different sounding speakers, both of which sound like crap. Can anyone tell me what combination of these wires is the right choice?

There's just a + and a - for the Alpine's, they must have a passive x-over built in.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The four wires are 2 for the woofer and 2 for the tweeter.

Look at your factory speakers to see which two went where.

Then hook your alpines up the same way (it will require modding them). Hopefully the tweeters have separate wiring and a cap you can see.

If there is no way to bi-wire them then you can't use them.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are we talking about rear hatch speakers in the Monsoon setup? Is there 4 wires to each speaker?

There is a link somewhere around to the actually wiring diagram for the Monsoon system in the T/A.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
Are we talking about rear hatch speakers in the Monsoon setup? Is there 4 wires to each speaker?

There is a link somewhere around to the actually wiring diagram for the Monsoon system in the T/A.

I don't have the Monsoon system, that's the problem. I can't find anything saying what the stock wire colors are in the rears. There are still 4 wires on each plate speaker, but I have no idea what's what since I pulled them out without thinking a few months back. Didn't realize I'd need to ID 4 wires, just thought it would have been 2 and there's only 2 ways to hook up 2 wires, lol...so if anyone knows what color is woofer + and - and tweeter + and - please let me know...
Old 11-12-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Beats me. I was lost as soon as you said "4x6 2-ways". lol
Old 11-14-2005, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

The size of the speaker place is 4x6 and they have 2 drivers in them. Anyone know?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The four wires should be color coded as pairs. So all you really need to do is figure out which two are for the tweeter, and which two are for the woofer.

This should be farily obvious if you just hook the wires up to a full range speaker, or even just the midrange of your 4x6. Hook one set up, if it plays only treble, then that is your tweeter wire set. If it plays no treble, then that's your woofer set. Still plenty easy.

Don't do this with a tweeter unless it has a crossover in it. Just use your midrange or any other full range speaker you have around.