Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Audio guys inside, i need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Audio guys inside, i need your help!

MANY MANY QUESTIONS regarding a 99 z28

what are my options for the space that will fill in where my stock head unit was? a giant black peice would be kind of lame. i plan on buying this headunit.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099388650551

(plz dont lock cuz best buy isnt a sponsor, not trying to be a smartass either)

**Link below** since the thread was stickied about 2 yrs ago, is there a new version of the alpine speakers that was in the FAQ sticky for number 11 (upgrading the stock door speakers?) what size are the door speakers anyways, 6.5"? i have some infinitis from the previous owner for the ones behind the seats so i wont need those.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/105043-attn-people-who-want-replace-upgrade-monsoon-speakers.html

also where would i get the products listed below to install the aftermarket head unit? a GM parts dealer or same place i bought the head unit? why is the last item recommended, what does it do to make it so great?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....20&postcount=5

thank you very much, thats a whole lot of stuff

P.S. Is the viper 791vx a good alarm? what is your input on the product?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apline SP170A's are still available and are a good budget replacement running off h/u power, monsoon amp power, or a lower power aftermarket amp. Shop around the net for them, they can be had for under $60 a pair.

Check out crutchfield for your head unit. Thier prices (crutchfield) tend to be a little high, but on a head unit they include the wiring harness, mounting kit, and antenna adapter which are going to set you back $30-40 when purchased alone. So for h/units around $200 or less their prices are actually pretty good.

If you decide to buy separate Scosche makes some of the nicest installation gear.

If you want to keep your steering wheel controls working, you'll need a SWI unit at about $50-100 depending upon where you get it. See the FAQ.

If your car is still setup factory, then the h/u install is 100% typical according to the harness wiring, and you'll need to bi-wire mod the aplines like in the write up. Other than that it's 100% plug and play. You do have an option to bypass the monsoon amp altogether and power the speakers off the head unit... but if you do not plan on upgrading the amplifier then I would not recommend this. The monsoon amp is stronger than typical 20watt rms h/u amps, and most of the distortion of the factory system comes from the crappy speakers and h/u... the amp itself is pretty decent.

A good head unit, 4x Aplines, and a SWI for steering wheel control retention can be had for under $400 if you shop around, and sounds really nice.

Toss in a self-amplified sub (tube) tapped off of the rear speaker wires and it makes for a very nice sounding budget setup.

Last edited by todddchi; 11-29-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome thank you very much.

hmmmm does anyone know if best buy will pricematch the crutchfield stuff, cuz i really wanna get rid of this best buy gift card