Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

so you want to replace your cluster with aftermarket gauges??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default so you want to replace your cluster with aftermarket gauges??

here's a little guide I put together. maybe somebody can make this a stickey or tell me if its in the wrong forum...

I tried to figure out the easiest way to wire into the stock wiring harness that goes to the gauge cluster itself. turns out you can't use it for much

Oil pressure sensor - you can tap in a use the existing wiring (pin B14 tan), BUT you have to use the autometer sending unit (comes with the gauge) and get a 16X1.5mm to 1/8 NPT adapter (p/n 2268). Just take out the stock sending unit and screw the autometer one in its place. the pcm does not use this information for anything so you can use the stock wiring. just cut out the old sender and wire the new one in its place. obviously you can also just run a wire from the sender through the firewall straight to the gauge.

water temp sensor - the information to the gauge cluster is in serial data, so you cannot tap into it. you can not use the temp gauge on the driver side head as it is used by the PCM (99+ LS1's). one option is to use the plug on rear of the passenger side head, BUT you need to get an adapter that does not come with the autometer gauge. this is autometer p/n 2277 1/8NPT to 12X1.5mm, but you must also drill out to fit sender. you can then use the existing location towards the back of the passenger head to screw in the sending unit. BE CAREFUL as it is easy to break. you will then have to run a wire to the gauge through the firewall from there.
there are other adapters that are the same thread out there, but they are CRAP. they break very easily. I broke two before i got the autometer adapter.

speedometer - you must tap into the VSS signal that goes from the transmission to the PCM. you can NOT tap into the line from the PCM to the gauge cluster as it is a square wave. the autometer gauge requires the sine wave of the VSS circuit. on 99's this is pin 50 dark green/white vehicle speed output circuit, lower (red) connector.

voltmeter - simply apply power and ground to it, you can use pin A10 orange as power and B15 black/white as ground.

fuel level - you can not tap into the wiring as it is serial data to the cluster. The LS1 sending unit is 40-240 ohm and the signal is sent to the PCM. The PCM then sends the info to the cluster. You need to tap into the line that goes from the sender to the PCM. on 99's its pin 54 (purple) on the lower (red) connector. Autometer makes gauges that work from 33-240ohm, BUT this gauge will only work if you send it back to autometer and have the sweep reversed!!! this only costs about $12 to do.

tach - you can not tap into the gauge cluster as it is serial data. you have to tap into the PCM just like a shift light with a single wire. 99-02 should locate the number ten (10) pin white and tap into it (lower connector), 98 locate the number 35 pin (upper connector) and the wire should be white in color.

for gauge power you can use pin A3 pink and/or pin B5 purple/white. they are both a fused ignition feed. use pn B15 blk/wht for ground.

for gauge lighting you can use the stock lighting power, B9 gray.

here's where you can find the pinout information for the PCM of your year LS1
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/312119-ls1-swap-faqs.html

here's all the pinout information for the plug I'm talking about. it goes right into the back of the gauge cluster.

Pin color use
A1-2-not used
A3---pink------fused ignition feed
A4---not used
A5---tan/wht--brake warning indicator lamp input
A6-7-not used
A8---brwn/wht-SES light
A9---not used
A10--orn-------fused battery feed
A11--not used
A12--lt blu------left turn input
A13--ppl/wht---seat belt indicator
A14-16-not used
A17--lt grn------high beam indicator

B1---brn--------park lamp feed
B2---not used
B3---gry--------security indicator input
B4---not used
B5---ppl/wht----fused ignition feed
B6---gry--------Class 2 Serial Data ***********
B7---orn/blk-----rear compartment lid ajar indicator
B8---dk grn/wht--vehicle speed signal
B9---gry---------instrument cluster lamp feed
B10--dk blu------right turn indicator input
B11--blk----ground
B12-13--not used
B14--tan---------oil pressure gauge input
B15--blk wht------ground
B16-17- not used

Last edited by 383ss; 06-23-2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's the scans, thanks to roughneck427 for the sheets.
Attached Thumbnails so you want to replace your cluster with aftermarket gauges??-instrument_cluster2_small.jpg   so you want to replace your cluster with aftermarket gauges??-instrument_cluster1_small.jpg  
Old 03-04-2006, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

EDIT: corrected adapter needed for water temp sender.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

make this a sticky!
Old 03-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

x2. Definitely sticky worthy.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

x3 for the Sticky. Great information here. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

added some info for the fuel level. I'll install mine next week and see how it works. ordering from summit today
Old 03-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Teching In

hey, it's a newbie here. does anyone know if the color codes for the wires match up on the 94 models? i know the pin config doesn't (found that out the hard way). i'm trying to convert my whole interior to a 98- up and i need to change the config of the wires in the plug. i know the color codes were different for the second gear start button, so i can't assume that won't happen with this. any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jedi1025; 03-05-2006 at 09:08 PM. Reason: missed a word or two
Old 04-07-2006, 10:51 AM
10 Second Club

have not got the fuel gauge to work yet. will update when I do. I'm getting 85 ohms to the gauge, but its stuck on E.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

Sticky?
Old 04-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Teching In

i have a hvac and instrument lighting problem any help? happened when i was changing hvac bulb. blew whole system? its not a fuse multimeter says no power to light socket yellow and grey wire. instrument panel i have no idea.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

can you tell me where i can find this same info for a LT1? I am sure its about the same as the LS1's and I guess I cannot use that much.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Teching In

i have fixed my problem with the help of some friends thanks.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Any info for LT1's?

Does the LT1 use the same fuel level sending unit as the LS1's and does the same apply for the water temp sensor?

I am thinking about doing the switch over to autometer gauges, but am wondering if the information is the same.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Launching!

One more question, was looking and this autometer gauge has a 240 empty to 33 ohm full, would this work as the sending unit you said was 240 to 40 ohm for the LS1 sending unit? http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Not sure if it does, would me nice though.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96blkform
One more question, was looking and this autometer gauge has a 240 empty to 33 ohm full, would this work as the sending unit you said was 240 to 40 ohm for the LS1 sending unit? http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Not sure if it does, would me nice though.
that is what I am trying to get to work. I have just not had time to mess with it though
Old 05-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Did anyone get there speedo to work I called autometer, and they told me to tap into I believe it is pin 21 (purple/white) vss high speed signal. When I did this my transmission would not shift out of second gear. I switched to pin 50 (dark green) stated above, and my transmission stated shifting right again, but when I try to calibrate the gauge, I do like the directions say, and it still will not register any thing. I have run out of ideas. My water temp gauge bounces back and forth really fast, and as far as the fuel level gauge, I had to send it to autometer, and they said it had to be programed for my car (2001 camaro). I have just installed it, and it stays on full.
Don't really know what else to try. If anyone has got these gauges to working, then please help me out.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jks hugger orange ss
Did anyone get there speedo to work I called autometer, and they told me to tap into I believe it is pin 21 (purple/white) vss high speed signal. When I did this my transmission would not shift out of second gear. I switched to pin 50 (dark green) stated above, and my transmission stated shifting right again, but when I try to calibrate the gauge, I do like the directions say, and it still will not register any thing. I have run out of ideas. My water temp gauge bounces back and forth really fast, and as far as the fuel level gauge, I had to send it to autometer, and they said it had to be programed for my car (2001 camaro). I have just installed it, and it stays on full.
Don't really know what else to try. If anyone has got these gauges to working, then please help me out.
all of my guages work except the fuel. are you sure you followed the directions right for the speedometer?? hold the rest button in, start the car, drive 2 miles and press the rest button again. that is all there is too it.
where is your water temp sensor mounted?
Old 05-04-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 383ss
here's a little guide I put together. maybe somebody can make this a stickey or tell me if its in the wrong forum...

I tried to figure out the easiest way to wire into the stock wiring harness that goes to the gauge cluster itself. turns out you can't use it for much

Oil pressure sensor - you can tap in a use the existing wiring (pin B14 tan), BUT you have to use the autometer sending unit (comes with the gauge) and get a 16X1.5mm to 1/8 NPT adapter (p/n 2268). Just take out the stock sending unit and screw the autometer one in its place. the pcm does not use this information for anything so you can use the stock wiring. just cut out the old sender and wire the new one in its place. obviously you can also just run a wire from the sender through the firewall straight to the gauge.

water temp sensor - the information to the gauge cluster is in serial data, so you cannot tap into it. you can not use the temp gauge on the driver side head as it is used by the PCM (99+ LS1's) you need to get a different adapter (autometer p/n 2277 1/8NPT to 12X1.5mm, you must drill out to fit sender) and use the sending unit with the water temp gauge. you can then use the existing location towards the back of the passenger head to screw in the sending unit. you will then have to run a wire to the gauge through the firewall from there.

speedometer - you must tap into the VSS signal that goes from the transmission to the PCM. you can NOT tap into the line from the PCM to the gauge cluster as it is a square wave. the autometer gauge requires the sine wave of the VSS circuit. on 99's this is pin 50 dark green/white vehicle speed output circuit, lower (red) connector.

voltmeter - simply apply power and ground to it, you can use pin A10 orange as power and B15 black/white as ground.

fuel level - you can not tap into the wiring as it is serial data to the cluster. The LS1 sending unit is 40-240 ohm and the signal is sent to the PCM. The PCM then sends the info to the cluster. You need to tap into the line that goes from the sender to the PCM. on 99's its pin 54 (purple) on the lower (red) connector. Autometer makes gauges that work from 33-240ohm. these should work fine. (I'll update next week when I wire mine to confirm, just got this info)

tach - you can not tap into the gauge cluster as it is serial data. you have to tap into the PCM just like a shift light with a single wire. 99-02 should locate the number ten (10) pin white and tap into it (lower connector), 98 locate the number 35 pin (upper connector) and the wire should be white in color.

for gauge power you can use pin A3 pink and/or pin B5 purple/white. they are both a fused ignition feed. use pn B15 blk/wht for ground.

for gauge lighting you can use the stock lighting power, B9 gray.

here's where you can find the pinout information for the PCM of your year LS1
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312119

here's all the pinout information for the plug I'm talking about. it goes right into the back of the gauge cluster.

Pin color use
A1-2-not used
A3---pink------fused ignition feed
A4---not used
A5---tan/wht--brake warning indicator lamp input
A6-7-not used
A8---brwn/wht-SES light
A9---not used
A10--orn-------fused battery feed
A11--not used
A12--lt blu------left turn input
A13--ppl/wht---seat belt indicator
A14-16-not used
A17--lt grn------high beam indicator

B1---brn--------park lamp feed
B2---not used
B3---gry--------security indicator input
B4---not used
B5---ppl/wht----fused ignition feed
B6---gry--------Class 2 Serial Data ***********
B7---orn/blk-----rear compartment lid ajar indicator
B8---dk grn/wht--vehicle speed signal
B9---gry---------instrument cluster lamp feed
B10--dk blu------right turn indicator input
B11--blk----ground
B12-13--not used
B14--tan---------oil pressure gauge input
B15--blk wht------ground
B16-17- not used

What about using mechanical gauges..for the oil pressure and the water temp..just bought some gauges and now wondering what I'll have to do to get them to work...where can I put the sending unit for the water temp and is there anything special about the oil pressure sending unit..

I just went back to the shop and checked on a engine that was out of a car. There is a allen head plug on the pass side where you can screw in your temp gauge sending unit and as far as the oil pressure goes. If you look down by your oil filter there is a plate just above and to the right of the filter. On the Corvettes that plate is not there. That is where the fitting for the oil temp sending unit goes for the Vettes. I am just going to get that GM part and screw my oil pressure fitting into it and be done with it...it is a whole lot easier to get to than the one located up behind the intake.

Last edited by slt200mph; 05-04-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 383ss
all of my guages work except the fuel. are you sure you followed the directions right for the speedometer?? hold the rest button in, start the car, drive 2 miles and press the rest button again. that is all there is too it.
where is your water temp sensor mounted?
So you are tapped into pin 50 dark green wire right? When I go to calibrate, I hold in the reset button and start the car. The spedo goes to 160 and stays. When I am ready to start my to miles I stop the car, press the reset button again, and the spedo then registers 80 and stays there during my 2 mile distance. After reaching 2 miles, I stop the car press the reset button again, and the spedo then goes to 0. It will then bounce to 80 again and then back to 0. It then will still not register any thing. I have tapped into the:
vss signal pin 50 dark green
vss high signal 21 pur/wht
vss low signal 20 green/pur.
None of these has worked for me so far.

Quick Reply: so you want to replace your cluster with aftermarket gauges??