Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replace Monsoon Amp & Keep factory HU?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Monsoon Amp & Keep factory HU?

Is it possible to wire up a new amp to the factory HU and get rid of the monsoon amp? I would like to keep my HU but replace all the speakers and amp. Someone please let me know if this is possible and if it has been done before. Thanks alot!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:27 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by grimm2420
Is it possible to wire up a new amp to the factory HU and get rid of the monsoon amp? I would like to keep my HU but replace all the speakers and amp. Someone please let me know if this is possible and if it has been done before. Thanks alot!
Yes, you can replace the factory amp and speakers while still keeping the original head unit. You will need a line level adapter to convert the speaker level output of the HU to line level input for the amp. You'll want to replace the speakers at the same time because the Monsoon original speakers are 2-ohm and not great quality. You'll also want to run your own wiring - the factory wiring isn't designed to handle much power.