Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon vs. aftermarket unit - sound quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monsoon vs. aftermarket unit - sound quality

How does the Monsoon unit compare to an aftermarket deck as far as output quality is concerned? I've heard from some people (not necessarily reputable) that aftermarket units always produce "better" sound but they had no reasonable way of measuring it.

Assuming line-level output was taken from each deck and driven through the same amp(s), speakers, and spatial setup, would the Monsoon deck be noticably poorer in reproduction quality than any other unit?

The reason I ask is because I like the way the stock unit looks in the dash but don't want to keep the stock speakers/amp. I don't need any extra features (CD changer, iPod support), I just want to know if the Monsoon has higher THD or the DAC is bad or anything that would cause it to be inferior to a reasonably priced head unit.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Unless your taking a RTA its hard to measure sound quality. To my ear its not near as good as a good aftermarket unit with a high S/N ratio.

One option that you may look into is called the JL Clean sweep.
JL makes great products but I have yet to see the results from that particular unit.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched from the Monsoon to an Alpine CDA-D857 and it was night and day difference. The signals coming out of an aftermarket HU will be cleaner and will be low level. I noticed things with various CD's with my Alpine that I never heard with the Monsoon HU. Plus, the BBE Processing adds another dimension to the sound quality. Since the Monsoon HU doesn't have low level output, you will be using high level and there will be more distortion involved. Since the HU is the source, it needs to have clean output signals and you will be happier in the long run.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

WIll an aftermarket head unit produce better sound than the Monsoon? Yes. Do I care enough to swap the HU out? No. I'm not that much of a stereo aficionado to really be bother by the inferior sound of the stock system. I have replaced my door speakers out of necessity. And I'm waiting on some replacement speaker for the sail panels.