Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HELP.. JL Audio TR650-CSI's

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP.. JL Audio TR650-CSI's

Hey guys, I just received the JL Audio TR650-CSI's that i purchased for my car... I ordered to pair.. front/back.... I have two questions..

1. They don't come with crossovers, how do i install them with the tweeter... as you all know tweeters only do highs... if i connect positive and negative... won't they blow right away?? They're called "in-line" crossovers... so if anybody has any idea thx

2. I heard it makes no sense to use tweeters in the back aswell... I heard it ruins my "imaging?"..

thx for all the help guys.. -mike
Old 01-23-2007, 06:00 AM
On The Tree

Default by the way

im connecting them to a 4 channel Amp... not the H/U
Old 01-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First look at the tweeter. Is there a little capaciter soldered into the positive connection. Looks like a little cylinder. That's your "crossover" for the tweeter. It will block any low or midrange frequencies from getting to the tweeter. If it doesn't have one and there isn't one anywhere else...then yea you don't want that hooked up to anything without a crossover. Basically an inline crossover is an inline capaciter that only allows for certain frequencies to get through. It should be placed between your speaker and its source...in this case your amps speaker output on the positive wire. Most if they don't have a seperate crossover will have one soldered in place. As far as your imaging goes, basically you want the sound to come from the front. Imagine your at a concert and you have this awesome wall of sound coming at you. Hence the name soundstage. You want your car stereo to do the same. In fact, ultimately if you could put your subs in the front doors or in the dash by the floor, that would almost be optimal. Unfortunately, there just isn't room for that so you do what you can by putting your mid bass and highs in the front "soundstage". By putting tweeters or highs behind you it draws your soundstage to the rear. This is what is would "ruin" your imaging. Rear fill is really for passengers and if you do the front speakers correctly you really wouldn't need it. Running off a 4 channel amp is a step in the right direction. My suggestion is run your JL's in the doors off the amp just like you planned. Then get a pair of mid woofers. Basically a component woofer without the tweeter. Put that in the rear sail. It fills in nicely without taking away from the front stage. If you have speakers in the hatch...just disconnect them. You really won't miss or hear them after you have the others hooked up. Hope this helped some.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Default Great...

Thank you very much... you were extremely helpful.

Quick Reply: HELP.. JL Audio TR650-CSI's