Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

need help with strange noise = (

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default need help with strange noise = (

Installed component speakers last night

-- during the routing of the wires through the doors on the driver's side - there was just one wire that did not want to go through, and at one point a OEM wire got caught up on my coat hanger while I was pulling pretty hard (I believe it was lighter tan or pink).

-- only other problem I had was when I was wiring up a relay that was grounded with two other OEM grounds, almost in line vertically with the hood release (under the dash) on the driver's side (sorry, no pic.). I forgot I had my battery hooked up and accidentally touched a wire coming from BATT in the fuse panel to a ground wire I had hooked up here with the other two OEM wires. Didn't think anything was effected until I tried plugging in my radar detector on the way to work and it didn't power on. In addition to this, neither did my manual fan switch (can't remember where I grounded -- probably in place of the cigar lighter) -- so anyways, replaced the CIGAR/ACCY fuse once I got to work.

-- I do not think the second problem listed above contributes to my noise because the noise happened without the fuse repaired.

=> So, this noise is just an increasing buzz-like tone through my speakers that lasts about 2 seconds whenever I close the door (or whenever that button that senses whether or not the door is closed is pushed in and held). After the 2 secs, it goes away completely. Even if wires to/from that button/sensor were damaged -- I'm not sure how that is giving me the noise I hear or why there would be some sort of a signal when the door is closed only for two seconds.....I would think it would be shorter or for the entire time the door is closed?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

(I will be able to trace wires, etc. later but just wanted some more ideas to think about while I'm at work all day wondering if I will solve this.)

Last edited by fredmr39; 06-20-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just ran out to the car to test some things... fading the HU doesn't effect where the noise comes out -- equally from both fron speakers. (remember -- this is only when the button is held for 2 seconds..then it stops -- so only for 2 seconds after I close the door while the stereo is playing).

I hope this isn't ratained power/BCM related somehow...
Old 06-20-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you try taking the relay off the remote wire and seeing what happens yet? could be getting noise through the relay somehow.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
did you try taking the relay off the remote wire and seeing what happens yet? could be getting noise through the relay somehow.
Yea tried getting rid of the relay (disconnected relay AND removed all wires associated with it) -- same issue. There are times it does not make the noise -- not sure if it was coincidence or what though....most the time it does.

The noise does come through the hatch speakers as well (they're disconnected, but I plugged them back in to try to narrow the problem down).

It also occurs when the passenger side door sensor is pushed in (door closed)...which makes me think it might not have been a wire I pulled or damaged on the driver's side.. But will not happen when BOTH doors are open and ONE side is closed only -- just the last door to be closed while the car is in either the IGNITION or ACCESSORY position, or running.

-- I just wonder what is happening during those 2 or 3 seconds....why isn't the signal constant when the door is closed? What possibilities are there besides this being a problem with the retained power system/BCM? Isn't that the only relation between doors moving and the stereo system? I'm not sure it relates to that though, since the only issues I had were: possible pulling of wires/damageing with coat hanger on driver's side, and accidentally touching a power line coming from BATT in the fuse panel to ground (but I think I had door noise before this as well..).