Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

factory radio lousy reception

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory radio lousy reception

Hi guys! I have the factory monsoon system in my 2002 SS, no aftermarket accessories. Anyways, each year, i carefully remove the antenna for winter storage. Well, this year, after i put it back on, the one radio station that i listen to in my area comes in like poopoo while i'm driving........the "ST" light keeps blinking on the display. I get in my other car, a 2000 grand am GT (all factory) and it comes in perfect. anyone know what could be the cause of this? its diving me nuts cuz i have to keep changing it to other stations in order to listen to the radio .......short of popping in a CD.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it could have something to do with the Monsoon amp going bad/loose something shorting out/whatever... I had ALL kinds of problems, including: HU dying completely/shutting off/having to be reset, CD player not working at all (radio continued to work with poor reception), awful reception in general, etc. until I recently became dependent on pre-amp outputs and only using the Monsoon for the sails to help with the mid-bass a little -- all of those previous problems vanished completely (I know it could be internal problems with my HU...but who knows - just throwing it out there).
Old 06-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Because it's just a reception problem on a car where the antenna is regularly removed and reinstalled, I think it's probably either a bad connection or a bad ground at the antenna. A quick test for antenna problems is to see if the reception improves when you hold the antenna with a couple of fingers while standing next to it.

Check that the Motorola connector is quite tight where it plugs into the antenna cable - it should take considerable effort to pull the connector out. If it doesn't, use a flat-blade screwdriver or similar tool to expand the barbs on the side of the male connector to make it fit tighter. Also check that the casing of the antenna is securely grounded at the mounting bolt.

If those things don't solve the problem then you probably need a new antenna.