Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Raptor Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Raptor Install Question

Real quick one guys,

I just got my Raptor shift light in and will be doing the install this weekend. I searched around and found the Harlan install at installuniversity. I'm just going to go by what they have since it is all basically the same.

My question:

In their install they get about 6 feet of 22 guage wire to run to the PCM, power, and ground. But the Raptor has got a good 8 feet wire coming off it (red, green, black). Do I need to get a few feet of 22 guage or will the 8 feet I've got be enough?

Also, The wire running to the PCM is going through the firewall gromet into the engine compartment. Do I need to wrap this wire up, or will it be safe under the hood?

Thanks for any help guys, and any install tips for a first timer would be appreciated.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

bump.

Anyone? I hope to do the install tomorrow...
Old 06-29-2007, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the supplied cord with the raptor will be plenty, you may end up even cutting it down like i did.

running through the grommet id fine, its just going right there to the pcm so no prob. Plus it has its own loom over the three wires anyway.

just ground it, get the 12v switch, and get the tach signal and your done
Old 06-29-2007, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used about 4 feet of wire from the PCM to my Raptor. I didn't want to cut the loom that was around it. I tapped power from my TCS switch, and grounded near my radio chassis. Since that was the central meeting point, any excess wire is rolled up and neatly zip tied and underneath the front of the center console.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
I used about 4 feet of wire from the PCM to my Raptor. I didn't want to cut the loom that was around it. I tapped power from my TCS switch, and grounded near my radio chassis. Since that was the central meeting point, any excess wire is rolled up and neatly zip tied and underneath the front of the center console.
Thanks guys for the help.

What guage wire did you use for the extension to the PCM? Did you wrap the wire under the hood? I don't think it is necessary because I just don't see it getting that hot or the PCM wouldn't be mounted there in the first place, but I'm the kind of guy that gets all OCD about little things like that. I want to make sure it is done right.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used 18 guage wire and no need to wrap it. Just run it through the grommet as is.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

I just installed mine today in the drivers side A-pillar (2000 Formula) and I used the install guide to an extent...

Their are a few KEY parts in there. One, the solid pink wires are 12v when the key is on. Every 1999 and up this is true for. Two, use the wire taps as they suggest. I bought a package from Radio Shack for about $2 and they work awesome.

The way I did mine was pull the drivers side A-pillar off and cut a hole in the defrost tube. I ran the wire through the hole in the tube and down the door jam in between the fuse box cover and the door to body seal. From there, I went under the kick panel, under the center console, then behind the panel on the passenger side they tell you to remove to access the grommet. Up through the grommet went all three wires. For the power I used pin #19 on the blue harness. The Tach signal obviously the #10 pin on the red harness. And the ground wire went under the PCM plastic holder and was fastened down by the bolt you removed to get the holder out to start with.

Hope this helps you out!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

Well, finally got it on tonight. I was delayed a week because my mom had to have surgery last weekend, but got it taken care of today.

The install was a snap! Thanks guys for the tips and info.

I basically followed the install university guide to the Harlan light and it went together quite easily! No problems whatsoever, and I really enjoy the light
Old 07-08-2007, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

Why not tap the tac signal inside the car?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bigblueturtle
Why not tap the tac signal inside the car?
It probably took a total of 15 minutes to pull the PCM, pop the panel underneath the glovebox, and run some 22 guage through the firewall gromet. For me it was really easy to do it this way.