Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

12 disc changer problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 disc changer problem

this is silly but i dont know how to take the cartridge out of the changer. i slide the door open like it says but nothing happens. i dont know anything about these but whoever had the car before me left cds in there i guess for a reason, cause they couldnt get them out. is this thing broken or am i just retarded?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Resident

Completey close the door after you push the cartridge back in a little, wait like 4 seconds then slide the door back open real fast... works everytime!

Dont be afraid to jiggle stuff around...
Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok so i got the cartridge out. took all of the discs out, put mine in, reloaded the cartridge, turn on the accessory power, press tape/play (it has the gay cassette unit) and NOTHING happens. the radio doesnt even flinch to switch to the changer. if i push in on the cartridge and hold it then slam the door shut it will make a weak mechanical noise, and a little cd display will flash on the radio clock, then when i press the tape/play button then, it goes into what seems to want to play the discs, but after about a minute it switches itself back to the radio....god im so confused!!!!
Old 07-03-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

1st off make sure all the disks are loaded upside down.

2nd The tape/play buttons are not used for cd playing. CD's load and play automatically.

3rd(ly) That (CD) icon needs to be solid not blinking. The button, (I think it says "AUX") is in the top righ-hand corner. Also make sure the radio is powered on. When its ready to play the display will read: 1-17 <-- last number will be #of songs on the bottom disc.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

1st: yes, and that's a common mistake because it's opposite of the way most other changers get loaded.

2nd: No, you must press the Tape/Play button (or CD/Play on CD head units) to switch between music sources. A CD inserted into a CD head unit will play automatically but the external CD changer won't start unless you switch to it.

3rd: yes and no. The button is labeled AUX on Camaros but it's labeled Tape/Play or CD/Play on Firebirds

If the changer is working properly, you should hear it cycle though the discs when you first insert the cartridge (regardless of whether the radio is on).
Old 07-03-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
1st: yes, and that's a common mistake because it's opposite of the way most other changers get loaded.

2nd: No, you must press the Tape/Play button (or CD/Play on CD head units) to switch between music sources. A CD inserted into a CD head unit will play automatically but the external CD changer won't start unless you switch to it.

3rd: yes and no. The button is labeled AUX on Camaros but it's labeled Tape/Play or CD/Play on Firebirds

If the changer is working properly, you should hear it cycle though the discs when you first insert the cartridge (regardless of whether the radio is on).
Yes, you are correct.

I didnt know there was a difference in the Camaro and Firebird head units. Mine says "Tape/Aux"

And the CD icon will blink while it cycles thru the disks