Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Trouble..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monsoon Trouble..

All of a sudden my stereo has no bass, it works, but has lost all its punch. I guess I lost the monsoon amp/sub?..I checked all the fuses at the dash and underhood...where elsedo I need to look...where should I start to troubleshoot these systems??
Old 07-12-2007, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Post up the details of your stereo. What is stock, what isn't. If it's not all stock, how do you have it wired (bypassing the stock amp? using an aftermarket amp?).

Do you have any bass coming out of the door panels at all? Is there any sound coming out of the sail panels?

Give more details.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

100% stock monsoon....all speakers play including sail panels....but the bass is gone in comparison to before. It used to have some thump now its non existant. Its as though you took an aftermarket amp and just turned the gain waaaay down.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Did you do something to the car when this all started up? Is your fader still set to center and your eq adjusted to not kill all the bass?

That's definitely odd to suddenly lose bass like that with out completely losing (disconnecting) the sail panel speakers.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be anything -- blown speakers, bad amp channel, etc. etc......and could come back from anything -- waiting, replacing speakers (even if not blown), swapping side to side.....who knows -- try another speaker there see if you get low freqs out of it.

This is the most annoying part of our system because nobody seems to know exactly what causes this stuff at the times it happens (after installs, randomly, etc).

Also, this seems to come up more and more recently..
Old 07-12-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

I'd say double check the wiring behind the HU (assuming you're still on the stock Delco HU). Sometimes the wiring can wiggle loose a little and make a world of difference.

Also, did you take a look at your amp? By that i mean is everything in place?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Stupid Q for ya....where is the damn amp?...And yea I am on the stock HU...I agree its odd to just lose it, and yea I have faded/ballanced to one speak at a time and none have thump...it sucks...I thought it sounded respectable...now I dont even wanna turn it on.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

The amp is in the rear passenger side hidden by the access panel for the spare tire. Remove the access panel and look near the top of the wheel hump. You'll see the back of the amp.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Teching In

the amp isn't always right there. I do car stereo for a living and ive seen them mostly up underneth the passenger dash. I'll let u know now it isnt going to be easy to find or bypass. i had to do it on mine too.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlackedOutSS
the amp isn't always right there. I do car stereo for a living and ive seen them mostly up underneth the passenger dash. I'll let u know now it isnt going to be easy to find or bypass. i had to do it on mine too.
The amp is ALWAYS where VIP1 said on any 97-02 F-body equipped with a Monsoon system.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Here is a picture I took a while back.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Are there any fusable links or anything to look for back there?...I am lost as to why it just took a crap on me.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

I don't think you've blown a fuse because if you did, you'd have no sound (no stereo at all maybe?). The amp drives 8 out of the 10 speakers in a TransAm and it drives either all, or all but 2 in a Camaro. If you're going to look for an easy fix on the amp, check the wiring harness and make sure it's plugged all the way in (and I'd suggest the same for the head unit).

As we've seen in other threads, tracking down loss of bass in these systems can be a pain.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Ok.. I have checked the plug in at the Amp and the HU...and ALL fuses in the car....I am totally stumped...I refuse to pay people to do this stuff....I just dont know where to look now...Its not like I have spare parts to throw at it..
Old 07-18-2007, 07:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I would suspect that the sail panel subs are the problem. They aren't made of the best materials and they will literally crumble in your hands when they get old enough. It's easy enough to take the grille off and check for damaged speakers. Or, if you have a friend with a Camaro, try swapping one of his speakers and see if that fixes the problem.

It can't be a fuse or complete amp failure because, as JustinID said, the Monsoon amp powers all the speakers in a Camaro - you'd have no sound at all. It is possible that just the two sub channels in the amp have a problem but that's very unlikely since you still have some sound from them.