Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

disabled automatic headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disabled automatic headlights...

Well, everyone knows how "cool" it is to drive with just the ambers and fogs on right at sunset....so I went ahead and attempted disabling the automatic headlights and let me say, it was by far the easiest mod I have done to the car yet.

I lifted up the dash panel where the defroster vent is and cut the sensor off, twisted the two wires together with a twist cap. Then wrapped some electrical tape around it just to be safe and badabam-badabing, done!

This is by far worth the 3 1/2 minutes of time it takes to do. I have had nothing unusal electrically yet for the last few days and have full control of my exterior lights now. Very easy to do for anyone thinking about it.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Having a Trans Am made this "feature" even more annoying (pop up headlights...).

I took a slightly more involved route, simply because I wanted to make the mod completely transparently reversible (why? beats the crap out of me... I guess the car was still on warranty back then and I didn't want to hack anything).

I removed the radio bezel and pulled out either the radio or climate control (can't recall) to get access to the light module. Using a pinout I found online, I found which two wires at the plug were in fact the same two wires that go to the sensor up at the dash top. Using a small sewing needle or pin, I released the contacts for those two wires and slid them out of the connector plug. I secured these out of the way.

Using two separate 'contact' pins obtained from the dealer, I crimped one to each end of a small 1 or 2 inch long strip of wire, and then re-inserted these two new contacts into the holes of the connector where the sensor wires had been coming out. Result: instant short across those two pins at the light module.

If I ever needed to go back to stock without ANY signs of tampering, I would have just needed to extract the 2 added pins and re-insert the original pins with the wires going to the sensor. But I haven't had to.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Sticky:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....61&postcount=8
Old 08-15-2007, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

Yup I did the !DRL and !AHL
Old 08-16-2007, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did the mine the way of cutting the orange wire connected to the headlight switch, took like 2 mins