Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question about replacing factory head unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about replacing factory head unit

If I replace the factory head unit do I also need to replace the speakers? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have to but the 2 weakest parts of the Monsoon system are the stock radio and the speakers. Upgrading those would be beneficial.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I plan on changing out the speakers very soon, just wanted to know if I could get by with out it for a couple of weeks.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all you need is a wiring adapter, which makes it to where all the wires in the stock harness of the car plug in to the correct wires of the new cd player... and you can find a diagram either online, or i think some of the harness adapters even come with diagrams that say what wires go to what speakers... its not hard, but can be a nerve racking job if you are scared of cutting and splicing wiring... but as long as you take your time and make sure you know what you are planning on doing before you start cutting, everything will be fine
Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by 02pewterZ
Cool. Thanks for the advice. I plan on changing out the speakers very soon, just wanted to know if I could get by with out it for a couple of weeks.
Yes u can.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

In my 2001 Camaro, I have the monsoon setup. I replaced the stock radio with a unit from JVC, the KD-AVX33. A great unit with a 4 inch DVD screen, bluetooth and so on... I love the way it sounds. The thing that amazes me is the crystal clear sound that it gives with the factory speakers and the fact that you can turn it up almost all the way without any distortion. Very loud! I made a mistake before that of replacing the factory speakers with aftermarket ones, and I hated it. It sounded horrible, very thin sounding. Just get yourself a wire harness from ebay for like $7 and you can replace the head unit without cutting any wires. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Banned

I have them for $4.99 plus shipping. I also carry 2 different mount adapters and the antenna adapter. I can put it all together for you: harness adapter, radio mount, and antenna adapter for $29.99 shipped. This would be everything you need to install it yourself.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I have them for $4.99 plus shipping. I also carry 2 different mount adapters and the antenna adapter. I can put it all together for you: harness adapter, radio mount, and antenna adapter for $29.99 shipped. This would be everything you need to install it yourself.
Does your set-up perserve the steering wheel radio controls?

Any comments of quality of JVC KD-G230, or KD-PDR50? I know these are much cheaper units, but they fit my budget better and I don't need a fancy display. I want the kind of sound Phantom WS6 is talking about from my Monsoon system, retain steering wheel controls, and easy input for my XM portable receiver. Can this be achieved with one of those models and your $29.99 package?

Last edited by Raleigh TA; 01-09-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friday bump
Old 01-11-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

RaleighTA - Hi neighbor..

TO answer your question, the steering wheel controls will require another box, I've seen them from about $50 on up to $80 for the same thing. You'll still need Kee's package, and that's a good deal for everything in one shot.

For the head, personally, I'd go with the KD-PDR30. It has the input for your XM, but the 4-way rocker will be really good if you ever go with an Ipod.. (I swore I never would, but I have been converted)

Since your T/A wears the same wheels I had made for my previous Audi, I might even help ya put it in, it'll be a quick & easy process.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Banned

The only way to retain factory steering controls is as mentioned above using a PAC or other adapter that uses either the aftermarket radios remote control system or a rear CD changer control/wired remote system that is built into the HU. This allows you to retain the factory steering controls and would depend mostly on which aftermarket HU you chose as to whcih adapter would be needed. Most can be controlled by using the PAC SWI-X or the PAC SWI-JACK. There are some other companies that make interfaces but those are the 2 that are used the most with good success.