Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

PAC SWI-X pictures?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default PAC SWI-X pictures?

Im thinking of either going with this or the JACK my headunit is suppose to work with both fine, its a Alpine 9883. Anyways this one has a infared I heard on it which menas it has to be visible for the steering wheel.. Does anyone have these to show me how big this is that id have to get it to stick out somewhere and how it looks in the dash? Thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

The SWI-JACK and the SWI-X do basically the same thing except that the SWI-JACK plugs in directly to the head unit without requiring an IR emitter. The only advantage to the SWI-X in this case would be if you want to change the function of the steering wheel controls. The SWI-X allows you to program almost any function to each switch.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

I know that, thats why im asking if anyone has the SWI-X installed that they can show some pics on where they put the IR emitter so I can know how big it is and what it looks like placed in the car
Old 02-01-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one in my car when I bought it.. the IR emitter is small, like 1/4" diameter. But, it was fried, I think the P/O attached the lead to the power antenna lead. I saw one or 2 pics here, but honestly, it's almost invisible. The best one I saw was mounted on the radio surround trim, flushed in.

Anyway, I just bought a SWI-JACK, and fortunately, any button that's on my RUE-4202 remote is also available through the SWI-JACK.

I suppose those with the NAV units would be better served with the SWI-X since those remotes have a multitude of functions.

Don't forget, if your head unit doesn't come with an infrared remote, you cannot use the SWI-X.

I set SWI-JACK up pretty much normal, though the "play" button is the "Source" button, and the "preset up" and "AM/FM" buttons are now set to be the up and down arrows on the remote, with the "Seek up / down" large buttons being the left and right buttons. So there is some flexibility, which I wasn't sure of until I read the manual..
Old 02-02-2008, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

Well i heard the SWI-x was more responsive with buttons, u can config them anyway u want, and i just wondered about the IR where everyone put theres before i buy
Old 02-02-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the IR transmitter for mine in the notch to the side of the cupholder...you cannot see it at all, nobody ever notices it. My Alpine's spot for it's reciever is on the right hand side, so nothing blocks the eye either, when I had a Kenwood the reciever was slightly to the left and occassionally in 6th gear it wouldn't work. Cups in the cupholder don't hang into the notch, so they don't block the thing either.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fccs
Well i heard the SWI-x was more responsive with buttons, u can config them anyway u want, and i just wondered about the IR where everyone put theres before i buy
It's not any more responsive, they both work the same way. Also, if you want the SWI-X, you'd have to buy the IR remote control for your CDA-9883.

I know you've heard that you can configure it anyway you want, I had said it.. But the options given by the JACK cover every button on the remote. Plus you never have to worry about blocking the IR eye.

But it's your money, the SWI-X is going to be more expensive in the end.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:43 AM
12 Second Club

oh..lol I didnt know i needed the IR remote control for it since i figured it came with it cause i got a remote with it. in that case maybe the jack one is better for me
Old 02-03-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your head unit came with a remote, thats all you need for the SWI-X to work. It's just used to teach the SWI-X. You'll hit volume up on the steering wheel, then volume up on the remote...without the remote that came with the head unit, you won't be able to teach it.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 9883 doesn't come with a remote control, that was my point.. but some sellers toss one in there as a package deal..