Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp turn-on delay, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp turn-on delay, any ideas?

I recently installed a complete stereo system in my 99 TA and it worked great for a few weeks, but lately it is giving me trouble. Let me start by describing my components, and then I will describe the problem. I have a pioneer deck, MB Quart components, a JL 450/4 amp for the MB's, and a JL 500/1 powering a 10" sub in a sub-thump stealth box. When you first turn on the car, it takes about 5 seconds for the sub amp to turn on, and once on, if the volume on the radio goes below about level 10, the sub amp turns off and won't come back on until the volume goes above about 10. It works perfectly other than this, anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

how is the amplifier hooked up? I assume rcas are directly connected with the Headunit, remote input on the amp is hooked to the remote output of the headunit?

The problem you have would be more common when an amp has a SMART engage system, which senses when RCA's recieve voltage signal. In this system, the remote wire would not be used with the amplifier.

OTHERwise, if it is hooked up as in EX 1, it would point to 2 possible problems. First would the radio. If your nonfading preouts are toast or on their way out, your radio is not sending any signal at the lower volume. Problem 2 would be an internal problem with the amplifier.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Yes, RCA's directly to the amp, and amp turn on from deck to amp. What confuses me is that it worked perfectly for a few weeks. It is kinda frustrating after spending so much time and money on what I thought was a good install!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevinm2112
I recently installed a complete stereo system in my 99 TA and it worked great for a few weeks, but lately it is giving me trouble. Let me start by describing my components, and then I will describe the problem. I have a pioneer deck, MB Quart components, a JL 450/4 amp for the MB's, and a JL 500/1 powering a 10" sub in a sub-thump stealth box. When you first turn on the car, it takes about 5 seconds for the sub amp to turn on, and once on, if the volume on the radio goes below about level 10, the sub amp turns off and won't come back on until the volume goes above about 10. It works perfectly other than this, anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
if you can make it happen all the time by lowering the volume to below 10, try measuring the voltage at the remote turn on terminal/wire. it could be possible that the head unit is dropping the voltage.

If the voltage does drop at that terminal when this happens, try disconnecting one amp at a time and lower the volume to see if it happens with only one amplifier hooked up. If it doesnt, you may need a relay in between the head unit and amplifier.