Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bypassing stock components for aftermarket...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bypassing stock components for aftermarket...

How do I do this? Do I just cut the factory tweets off, leave the wires, and run the wires which ran to the factory 6.5 into the aftermarket crossover and then out from there to the new speakers?

Am I missing something here?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your gonna need to run the tweeter line to the tweeter and the 6.5 woofer line to the woofer

poss run the tweeter through the crossover
Old 04-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
your gonna need to run the tweeter line to the tweeter and the 6.5 woofer line to the woofer

poss run the tweeter through the crossover
Really? Because I've heard otherwise. Wouldn't you want to run the crossover that comes with the set for optimum sound instead of the factory crossover?

Can someone else clarify this?

Would what I mentioned not even work?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

You have to bring your own amp (or use the output from an aftermarket HU) to do it right in our cars. The stock amp has a low quality crossover in it meant to be used with the stock low quality speakers.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have 2 options. First option, is to just run the stock wires to the aftermarket speakers as they are. Tweeter wires to the tweeter using the stock crossover. This would simply require you to cut the factory tweeter off and attach it to the new tweeter, then put it back in place. After this attach your midbass wires to the new midbass connector. Either way you want to use the stock connectors from the old speaker/tweeter and use them to plug into the stock harness.
Option 2.
If you want to use the aftermarket crossover you can only use it for one or the other (tweeter or midbass) not both if you retain the factory amp. Personally I would use it for the tweeter (not the midbass) and cut out the stock tweeter xover. It is easy to do. It is the black foam covered thing that is clipped to the stock speaker mounting basket. Simply cut the connector off and run it with some speaker wire to the aftermarket xover. Then on the tweeter output from the xover to the tweeter. You cannot hook both sets of wires (midbass and tweeter) to the input on the aftermarket xover. Just one pair.
Either way works though whether you use the factory or aftermarket xover assuming the stocker is ok still. I had problems with my factory crossovers for the tweeters (made the tweeters pop and crackle) so I cut them out when I still had my stock Monsoon amp years ago.
This is the long version of what Pentavolvo said.
Dragonrage also touched on the quality of the stock crossovers.
Camaros are a little different when it comes to the wiring.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Er, no. Crossovers have SO many different design parameters. You've got the crossover frequencies, which can be different for the woofer and tweeter sometimes. You've got the order, which controls how steep the crossover is. You've got zobel filters to control impedance, you've got level matching, you've got notch, bandpass, lowpass, highpass, shelving lowpass, shelving highpass.... The stock crossover can not be used with good results. Ever. Period.

For those of you that think your aftermarket speakers sound fine with the stock Monsoon crossovers, I will say that most people think their completely stock audio setup is fine, and that most people think their 150hp (or lower) car is fast enough.

Edit to note: If you have metal-coned speakers, it is ESPECIALLY important that you don't use the stock crossover. Paper speakers won't be AS bad generally.

Last edited by dragonrage; 04-03-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragonrage
For those of you that think your aftermarket speakers sound fine with the stock Monsoon crossovers, I will say that most people think their completely stock audio setup is fine, and that most people think their 150hp (or lower) car is fast enough.
I agree with you. When my buddy bought his TA it had aftermarket components wired off the stock monsoon and it sounded horriable, worse then factory monsoon would have IMO.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It dismays me sometimes to see some people express opinions as absolute, indisputable fact. To use the analogy already presented...I have no engine modifications and feel that my car is certainly fast enough since I have no intention of competing and it can already exceed legal limits easily. I also have aftermarket head unit and speakers connected to the factory amp and wiring and feel that it is certainly good enough (much better than stock). Again, I have no intentions of competing so I don't need any more volume and it can already reach threshold of pain levels.

Ian is correct, you can use the stock filters or you can use the aftermarket crossover on only one channel. But I would try the factory configuration first because even if you install the aftermarket crossover, the factory filters are still in the circuit as long as you're using the Monsoon amp (except for the tweeters in a Firebird).
Old 04-03-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

It is a fact that using the Monsoon crossovers instead of bringing your amp is the wrong way to do it. Having said that, I'm not going to come to your house and throw eggs at you because you didn't do it correctly.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dragonrage
It is a fact that using the Monsoon crossovers instead of bringing your amp is the wrong way to do it. Having said that, I'm not going to come to your house and throw eggs at you because you didn't do it correctly.
This guy has been just about 100% correct in this thread. Do it the right way the first time.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It is your opinion that using the Monsoon filters is the wrong way. Since there is no mention of replacing the factory amp, the factory filtering will be active anyway. There is more than one way to skin a cat. What works for you is great but others may prefer doing it differently. As long as nothing will be damaged, there is no right or wrong way - just what each person prefers to hear. (Kind of like the front stage vs. surround sound debate.)
Old 04-03-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

I dare you to try it with aluminum-coned speakers like my Rainbows. Your ears will forever hurt because of distortion caused by bad crossovers.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I have no doubt that is true. However, I don't have the coin (nor the desire) to install such high-end equipment. And I agree, if you're going to go high end like that then don't spoil it with cheap factory equipment. But there are a lot of people (like me) that aren't looking for audiophile quality - especially in a fairly noisy car. For them, sometimes the simpler (and less expensive) solution is better. Not everyone can play polo - some of us have to settle for bowling.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Banned

Actually what I meant by: "Dragonrage also touched on the quality of the stock crossovers" I was actually meaning the lack of quality he refered to in the post #4....not that the stockers were good quality...just to clarify in case there was any doubt about that.
In any case the aftermarket crossover is always the better choice because it is usually matched to that particular speaker and tweeter. If you are not changing the stock amp or anything then your choices are basically limited to the 2 options I gave previously. Not optimal but it will work ok.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Heres how you do it. I had 2400 watt system running off stock head unit. I dont know if these are still amde but a product called OEM-1 would create 2 RCA jacks off a factory monsoon or whatever radio. Run an aftermarket amp with built in crossovers. I have a spare OEM -1 PM me if your interested. I ran a w7 sub with an alpine component amp and it was competition quality through a stock radio, got the top of the line alpine and lost sound quality (beleive it or not) until I tuned it for months.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Teching In

^^It's called a line-out converter. You quality would of increased if you properly set your gains immediatley.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Banned

We are all aware that you can run an aftermarket amp off the stock HU although why you would do so is questionable if you were going to the trouble of upgrading.
The original question was how does he wire in aftermarket components to the stock system and what to do with the crossovers that come with the aftermarket components.