Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bazooka 6 1/4" 4 Ohm DVC Sail Panel Install w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 07:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by cam94z28
Also, I would assume those Bazooka's would also work on a Camaro, if wired properly for 2 ohms?
Yes. Wire the dual voice coils in parallel to produce a nominal 2-ohm load and they work very well in a Camaro.

Originally Posted by cam94z28
Also, wondering if these would be worth a try, while they're on closeout for 5 bucks. The 2.875" mounting depth might be too much, though
I guess we're not allowed to post non-sponsor links, so they are the Parts Express 299-609
I wouldn't use those. They have only a 1" voice coil, are rated at only 30W RMS and 60W peak, and their frequency range is more mid than mid-bass (50Hz - 6,000Hz). Besides, they are designed for sealed enclosure and the sail panels are considered infinite baffle rather than sealed.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet I need me some bazooka's!

Are these still available?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 11-19-2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 11-26-2014, 02:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I would have seen this before I redid mine. Went with Memphis units all the way around from a local shop. Sounds alright but they were a pain to get in correctly. This looks way easier.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike TA
Wish I would have seen this before I redid mine. Went with Memphis units all the way around from a local shop. Sounds alright but they were a pain to get in correctly. This looks way easier.
Be sure to also look at the Monsoon sticky in this section for information on the subs. If you are using a stock Monsoon amp and do not have DVC speakers, your sound won't be as good as it should be.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Install questions::

I just wonder after reading this over, and over for a few days if OP used connectors to connect the wires to the bazookas, or if they were soldered on? I also plan on using the original red/black harness that was attached to the delco speakers. Is it safe to think that the red wires are positive, and the black wires are negative? And does it matter which pair get wired to which coil on the sub? Sorry so many questions, I just want to do this right the first time, and I'm pretty sure Santa's bringing me some speakers for Christmas.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Nate_C
I just wonder after reading this over, and over for a few days if OP used connectors to connect the wires to the bazookas, or if they were soldered on?
I made my own custom connectors and soldered them on. No particular reason why. I pretty much did it because I could and wanted to experiment with the terminals and crimps. The old connectors are more than adequate.

Is it safe to think that the red wires are positive, and the black wires are negative?
Yep.

And does it matter which pair get wired to which coil on the sub?
I'm not sure but would expect, yes. I hooked the red and black up in pairs on the new speaker just like the old speaker - so the wires for each voice coil are kept together.

As you solder one new speaker, I suggest you keep the other old one as-is so you can compare.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Default Bazooka 6.5 install

I did my Bazooka install today, it was much easier than I thought it was going to be and they sound great! Here's a few pictures of the process. I can't wait to go for a drive in the spring and have some good tunes!

New Bazooka all soldered up and ready on the left, stock speaker on the right.

These are the new speed nuts I bought (on the left) They were tight enough that I didn't need to tape them.

Ready for installation!

All done!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Save the manuals!

I did my Bazooka install today, it was much easier than I thought it was going to be and they sound great! Here's a few pictures of the process. I can't wait to go for a drive in the spring and have some good tunes!
Nice Job!

It looks like you haven't addressed the sail panel TSB yet. It's attached to this thread. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-interior.html

BTW - You can see where the screw hole is in my original pictures. (The extra screw is not in place.)
Old 12-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Teching In

I was JUST talking about fixing that funny gap today, I didn't have any idea that it was a common issue. I have gotten so much good information from here! Thanks =)

Originally Posted by wssix99
Nice Job!

It looks like you haven't addressed the sail panel TSB yet. It's attached to this thread. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-interior.html

BTW - You can see where the screw hole is in my original pictures. (The extra screw is not in place.)
Old 01-02-2015, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the new photos! I still want to do this in my car, maybe in the spring.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good!!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 years and I never realized that panel gap wasn't natural. Not sure if there is always something new to learn or......I'm just a dumbass
Old 01-22-2015, 01:39 PM
Teching In

What are the odds that you have a picture of, or dimensions for that screw? I'm assuming it's just a sheet metal screw, right? I bet I have a couple laying around. It's warm (24*) here today, and I feel like an garage project maybe this afternoon.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Save the manuals!

What are the odds that you have a picture of, or dimensions for that screw? I'm assuming it's just a sheet metal screw, right? I bet I have a couple laying around. It's warm (24*) here today, and I feel like an garage project maybe this afternoon.

Any she's metal screw will do. The GM one is something like a #8 x 3/4", I'd guess.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Any she's metal screw will do. The GM one is something like a #8 x 3/4", I'd guess.
... So, I promise, this is my last question about this. I feel like when I push that back where it's supposed to be, that it's very close to the foam surround on the speaker. Is that going to be an issue? I'd hate for that bottom middle speaker grille cover to cut in to that foam, I feel like it would be bad news!

Quick Reply: Bazooka 6 1/4" 4 Ohm DVC Sail Panel Install w/ pics