Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

6x9 in sail panels.. anyone done it

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6x9 in sail panels.. anyone done it

well the other day i got 2 sets of 6.5 and a set of 6x9 speakers for my trans am well in the sail panel i didnt look to see what i had and they arent 6x9 so i was wondering if anyone put it some 6x9 in their sail panels with out doing something crazy looking i want the stock look to it.... if anyone has a suggestions or pics that would be appreiciated thanks
Old 08-19-2008, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

a buddy of mine put them in his... he had to cut the metal away to fit them in and looked like ****.... when u popped the covers off.... but just go buy some 6 1/4 coaxles and be done with it
Old 08-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6.25" coaxials???? Sorry my friend, those won't work in that location as is. First, they're the wrong size. The sail panel speakers are "oversize" 6.5" AKA 6.75". Secondly they are subwoofers not regular speakers. To top it off they are also dual voice coil subwoofers in the Firebird/Trans Am version of the Monsoon, 2ohm single voice coil in the Camaro. The Monsoon amp sends bass only frequency to the sails so a coaxial is useless....unless....you unhook the rear hatch speakers and wire them to the sail panel area. Then you would get full range sound while still using the stock amp.
As far as 6x9's go those are kinda like tape decks as far as technology goes. You'd be taking a step backward by doing that. Stick with a good set of 6.5" woofers, you'll keep from cutting up your car and have better sound. Most of the guys with 6x9's stock in their vehicles (ie: 3rd gens) are using adapters to fit a 6.5" or 5.25" round speaker in the same location.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine in the back are 4 ohms
Old 08-20-2008, 07:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The 4" mids in the hatch area are 4-ohm and the 6.5" subs in the sail panels are 4-ohm DVC (dual voice coil - two 4-ohm connections on each speaker) in your Firebird - Camaros are different.

Ian (Kee Audio) is correct - you shouldn't butcher your panels to fit 6x9 speakers that will have inferior sound compared to a decent round speaker - unless you're planning to put an 8-track player in the dash.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

hmm then why did they fit DIRECTLY in my car, and yes they are woofers in there stock that blow. splice the wires in the back of the head unit and run wires directly to the speaker. or just go buy some JL ZR's or JBL power series with a 4 chanell amp and throw 250 watts to each speaker

btw KEE AUDIO please dont tell me what will and will not work in my vehical that IS working as we speak K thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by whitew01ws6
hmm then why did they fit DIRECTLY in my car
Since none of the major brands make 6.25" speakers, you must actually have 6.5" speakers that would fit the opening as Kee Audio said.

btw KEE AUDIO please dont tell me what will and will not work in my vehical that IS working as we speak K thanks
Somebody has to tell you... because you obviously don't know.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm then why did they fit DIRECTLY in my car, and yes they are woofers in there stock that blow. splice the wires in the back of the head unit and run wires directly to the speaker. or just go buy some JL ZR's or JBL power series with a 4 chanell amp and throw 250 watts to each speaker

I meant no offense by my previous post. If you got a 6.25" speaker to fit in there more power to you! The stock speaker size is not a 6.25" speaker though and I was refering my recommendation using the stock Monsoon amplifier, not running off the HU which does require a little more work in wiring. Obviously that can be done as well but if you have an amp already why not use it? Most CD players don't push a whole lot of power compared to an exterior amplifier. With the combination of a decent aftermarket HU and upgraded speakers the stock Monsoon amp does pretty well. Much better then running of the radios power alone.
I have years of experience with these vehicles and have been doing audio systems since I was 16. That was 20 years ago. Again, I meant no disrespect to you personally, I just wanted to make sure that the right speakers were used and the 6.25" you mentioned is 1/4" in diameter too small without some sort of adapter normally. I carry a few 6.25" speakers and generally they are used in import cars (ie: some make Honda doors). I have used them in F-bodies but with an adapter to make them work with the stock locations when the customer had less funds as they are generally less expensive then a comparable 6.5" for some reason.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
6.25" coaxials???? Sorry my friend, those won't work in that location as is. First, they're the wrong size. The sail panel speakers are "oversize" 6.5" AKA 6.75". Secondly they are subwoofers not regular speakers. To top it off they are also dual voice coil subwoofers in the Firebird/Trans Am version of the Monsoon, 2ohm single voice coil in the Camaro. The Monsoon amp sends bass only frequency to the sails so a coaxial is useless....unless....you unhook the rear hatch speakers and wire them to the sail panel area. Then you would get full range sound while still using the stock amp.
As far as 6x9's go those are kinda like tape decks as far as technology goes. You'd be taking a step backward by doing that. Stick with a good set of 6.5" woofers, you'll keep from cutting up your car and have better sound. Most of the guys with 6x9's stock in their vehicles (ie: 3rd gens) are using adapters to fit a 6.5" or 5.25" round speaker in the same location.
the lord has spoken!!

Quick Reply: 6x9 in sail panels.. anyone done it