Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Grand Prix HUD in my Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Grand Prix HUD in my Firebird

First, I'd like to say a few things:

1) The V6 site hasn't been much help in this department, even though many of their cars came with HUD's and the wiring for it.

2) I haven't done it yet.

3) I have pinouts for the Grand Prix HUD components ( http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/7529/cd2sr2.jpg )

4) The PCM on my 3.8 V6 F-body is likely an identical match (has the same 4000 PPM VSS signal output as the Grand Prix's) and PCMforless lists the 97-05 V6 PCM's as being the same between the Firebird and the Grand Prix. Pinouts are similar if not the same.

Anybody want to help me in figuring out what wires go where?

Also, I need to know where all potential gaps are in the top dashboard of a 4th gen F-body to know if I should even make an attempt. I know it's very tight in there. If need be, I can try and fab up a custom dash pad - which would be another project altogether..

Heads up displays are awesome. Here's the link to my post on the V6 forum if anybody is interested: http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...d.php?p=671381

Last edited by ZexGX; 10-01-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most non technical part of this could be the crippler to the equation! GM uses a higher quality of windshield ( much better glass for the image reflection needed for you to see your HUD un distorted and brightly enough ) and I dont believe you can find a windshield of that caliber for our cars.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

An LS1tech member has used a Defi unit thats reflected off of his f-body windshield. I looked at the pictures and it looked perfectly acceptable. If it isn't, I can always put a strip of reflective tint where the HUD is projected. People with non-HUD Vettes install the HUD components into their cars and use the non-HUD windshield. It works just fine...
Old 10-06-2008, 01:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my dad has 2 Grand prixs if you need to see one for reference.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nhra-trans-am
my dad has 2 Grand prixs if you need to see one for reference.
Thanks, I'll let you know if I do. There's a few local junkyards I need to check out first. The ones I went to on Saturday were way up north, not to mention they were closed.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:17 PM

What info do you need again? I am trying to retrofit one of these into my Subaru.

There are two wiring diagrams that I used to determine what wires were what.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8601/cd1uw6.jpg

and

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/7529/cd2sr2.jpg

the second one has the HUD wires in the lower left. When you hit a junkyard make sure you get the siwtch and some wires for each plug. You'll have to cut the wires. If you need info on how to get to the HUD let me know. It's very easy. I was able to harvest a HUD, switch, and wires with just a screwdriver and razor blade.

I'm interested to know what you figure out with the VSS. I tested mine last night and the HUD stayed at 0mph. The Subaru VSS is ~4,103 PPM where as the Pontiac is 4,000 PPM. I'm not sure how/if the differences conflict. Any idea?
Old 10-08-2008, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks! I still have to check around the junkyards. TBH this is a low-priority project and I have lots of other things going on right now, but it's still on my to-do list.

Originally Posted by toddlamp
I am trying to retrofit one of these into my Subaru.

I'm interested to know what you figure out with the VSS. I tested mine last night and the HUD stayed at 0mph. The Subaru VSS is ~4,103 PPM where as the Pontiac is 4,000 PPM. I'm not sure how/if the differences conflict. Any idea?
The GM PCM's output the VSS signal as sine waves and use a combination of gearing info and VSS inputs to calculate and output the VSS signal... I have no idea in regards to how Subaru PCM's work. At the very least I guess make sure the wire is connected at some point between the PCM to the gauge cluster rather than the transmission to the PCM. Someone had a problem with an LSx swap where they used the VSS HIGH output from the transmission instead of the VSS OUT from the PCM - got power and everything but the gauge read zero, when in fact it was receiving a ton of bad information that it wasn't expecting (the automatic trans wouldn't shift up into the next gear because they're VSS based)... I think with some tuning you can get the VSS to 4,000 PPM, but then that would likely screw up your gauge cluster... I suppose you could use an aftermarket speedometer gauge but where's the fun in that??
Old 10-08-2008, 04:38 PM

Based on a rough calculation it seems that there would be a very small difference between the HUD and OEM gauge cluster. Something like 2-3% off. And seeing that my OEM cluster is analog, I doubt that I wouldn't notice any difference when I glance at it.

I am going to check my connections tonight to see that i've tapped in at the right place. I am into the wire harness behind the front dash but I might not be far enough along. When I tested the VSS wire sans car, it went crazy. What I mean by that is I tapped the VSS wire from the HUD to the (-) terminal on the battery I was powering the HUD with on my work bench. It would jump around so I know that it can interrupt a signal at least.

As far as getting everything else to work it's just a matter of grounding or applying 12v power to the lines. These should be easily accomplished my soldering them in to point directly on the gauge cluster. If/when you do get around to testing one out i'd be interested in knowing your progress.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Friday night I was able to take a look at a Grand Prix with an HUD and it looks like the windshield angle and dashboard area is actually close to that of an F-body. After I get my suspension sorted out, I'll start digging into project a little deeper.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any progress? Wiring the HUD into your car is the easy part. Mounting it and making the dash look like it's factory is the hard part. Don't worry about the windshield, it will look fine.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just to clarify hwo it will look in a normal windshield... it will be fine.. i had a grand prix and my windshwield had cracked bad... and i got a regular windshield replaced because the special one was like 100 more... its a lil distorted, but not that noticable...hope that helps

Quick Reply: Grand Prix HUD in my Firebird