Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2 Mustangs vs. - 96 Vert(stockish) - '96 Cobra and 99+ New Edge

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 Mustangs vs. - 96 Vert(stockish) - '96 Cobra and 99+ New Edge

This is a multipart story - told in chronological order. On the way in to work yesterday I found myself behind a 99+ new edge GT 'Stang, exhaust, unknown other mods. We were following some slow traffic, roads were wet, it was just drying up from raining yesterday. We both took a left onto a wide open country road, and I decided it was time to pass the Stang. As we turned on, I shifted down to first, and started getting on it as we straigthend up. He spotted me, and pounded down, so I went for it too. Well, it was just too wet, both cars fought traction in 1st and 2nd, after a lot of pedal on my part, and banging the rev limiter on his part, we both decided it was too wet for that kind of shanagigans and called it quites. Few more roads later, he turns of to go his way. Hope I'd catch him again - least he thinks he won that race.

Crusing home from work yesterday, topless, I came upon a early 4th Gen Mustang - 1996ish - Cobra. We were on the freeway, I was closing up in the left lane just crusing along at about 85mph. He spotted me come up, dropped a gear or two and put it down, I dropped to 4th and hammered down. We were pulling up a pretty good grade, and we just stayed right in place, no pull either way. We both let out about the time I topped 4th. He had an exhaust for sure, probably not much else. It was a nice pull - I'd like to have had the top up - it probably hurts aerodynamics at those speeds. A good stand-off for sure. Cool guy as well, gave each other nods before parting ways.

Driving in again today, looking for the New Edge I played with yesterday. Well whatdoyaknow I ended up behind him again, little further along than the day pervious. Wet again this morning, but drying off decently, figured we'd give this another shot. He makes his left for his turn off, and its down a nice straight road with a good line of sight - no cars, kids, or puppies anywhere, figure we'd go for it again. He's ready and waiting in first as we round the turn, I roll into first as hard/fast as a darn w/ the still damp surface. I start to draw along side, he's full on at this point, and I'm thinking we're good, didn't break it loose hardly at all getting into it. Grab second as I'm dead next to him and pulling, car jumps out sidesways a good bit - drifting away from him - not towards, but I was planning on some steering on that shift - I stay mostways in the pedal till she hooks back up, and then just stay hammered down. I'm just past him on my 2-3 shift, and merged back into my lane by the 3-4 shift.

Good times with both, probably both near stock examples, but still fun none the less.