Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Independence Day Race Against My Brother

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Independence Day Race Against My Brother

I've raced him from a few rolls and digs a while ago but just for fun and never an alotted distance. This time we marked out the quarter mile exactly for our final show down. First, My car...

2000 Trans Am WS.6
-Debaffled Hood
-K&N Air Filter
-SLP Lid
-SLP Smooth Bellow
-P&P Throttle Body
-Magnaflow CatBack
-UMI Short Stick
-Strano Springs
-Koni 4/4's

-VS-

2001 Trans Am
-SLP CAI w/ extension
-K&N Air Filter
-SLP Lid
-Descreened Maf
-SLP Smooth Bellow
-P&P Throttle Body
-Gutted Cats
-SLP CatBack
-BMR Springs

Race 1

He yells go, I work the clutch off the line at about 2800 rpms and get a nice launch. He shadows my launch and we are dead even to the top of first. I slam it into second as he does and he begins to gain a lead. At the top of second my nose is at his door and as we both shift to third I hear him miss the gear and I fly past him.

Race 2

He yells go again, I get to nervous and bog a little off the line but he spins. Again we are nose to nose at the top of first. Through second gear he starts to pull me again. At the top of second my car's nose is at his door (or about a half a car length.) Through third he is still pulling. At the top of third my car's nose is at his rear bumper. We both switch to fourth gear moments before cross the end of the quarter. He beats me by a car length.

So my question is. How much faster is he time wise if my nose is at his rear bumper at the finish line of the quarter. Is that like 2/10ths of a second or something? Like if he is running a 13.1 then I'm running a 13.3?

I wonder what mods I need to make up that car length or better yet put a car length on him? ? The last performance items on my list are American Racing Headers, LS6 intake, and dyno tune. My guess is the long tubes will give me a half a car on him at the finish line and the LS6 intake and dyno tune will give me a car and a quarter on him at the finish line.

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 07-07-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good races! I'd guess that there's probably about a tenth between you both at the track. Honestly, drag radials will more than make up that distance, but if you want to beat him on sheer horsepower then I'd guess that any one of those three mods (LT's, LS6 intake, or tune) will at least even it up or put you ahead. Getting all three will give you a commanding lead and then adding drag radials and he'll wonder what's going on, lol.

Just curious about the Firehawk emblems on your brother's car?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good races! I'd guess that there's probably about a tenth between you both at the track. Honestly, drag radials will more than make up that distance, but if you want to beat him on sheer horsepower then I'd guess that any one of those three mods (LT's, LS6 intake, or tune) will at least even it up or put you ahead. Getting all three will give you a commanding lead and then adding drag radials and he'll wonder what's going on, lol.

Just curious about the Firehawk emblems on your brother's car?
He is in the process of converting his car into a Firehawk replica.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

That half a car could simply be shift point. I always found that running it out to 6100-6200 gave the quickest times and a lot of times I could gain on others here. It could also be he has a stronger running car.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think he beat you because he already has a LS6 intake. When I put on my LS6 intake on I could feel a difference up top
Old 07-08-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CoastieWS6
I think he beat you because he already has a LS6 intake. When I put on my LS6 intake on I could feel a difference up top
I think that as well. The combination of him having the LS6 intake plus gutted cats is letting him get air in faster and get it out faster. My LS1 intake doesn't flow as well and is choking my engine, then the engine has to struggle to get push the exhaust through my old and probably clogged up cats.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I think that as well. The combination of him having the LS6 intake plus gutted cats is letting him get air in faster and get it out faster. My LS1 intake doesn't flow as well and is choking my engine, then the engine has to struggle to get push the exhaust through my old and probably clogged up cats.
Your cats are probably fine. My '02 walked away from a pre-01 car w/ full exhaust and the usual bolt-ons. My car runs pretty strong but the stock exhaust system is pretty good on these cars. W/ LTs i've outrun a car w/ 4.10s, LTs, bolt-ons etc. as well. A good driver and a strong car will really help. I think the LS6 intake will help you out.