Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

S281 Saleen 05-08 vert Vs 98 SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Default S281 Saleen 05-08 vert Vs 98 SS

INTRO
Its almost winter but I decided not to garage the car already for an unknown reason..The last months, and summer were pretty boring for street action. Nothing really happened in fact.

So I was going back home when I see this beautiful blue Mach1 with nice and wide wheels. I was ready to see if Machs were fast after all I lined up slowly with him and put the car in 3rd on the highway. He slows a bit to match my speed. I wait and wait, n wait, but nothing happen so I gun the car and still no action.

THE ENCOUNTER
But here's when the Saleen come in place. He came from nowhere and gets behind me really close after the Mach thing; I know he was game. The car is a Saleen S281 black vert. I couldnt hear the car but a friend following us told me he had a mean sound. Which I confirmed the next day.

We had to wait almost 20km to get to a good place with low traffic. We finally get on a turnpike to get some empty road. I was following the car 2 cars behind. I knew there was only one chance to do it, which was right out the turnpike.
I was in second in a sweet spot, I gun the car right out the turn and the Saleen obviously gun it too cause I dont gain on the car quickly. No big jump for anyone for sure. I proceed to get back nose to nose at the end of third(at this point I had no idea how fast those Saleen were!), shift to 4th and proceed to put a car slowly on him when we had to let off due to traffic at top of 4th or so.

We had to let off because of some punk in a Seville(clean and surprisingly fast but no match and an obstacle to a rare race for me more of a traffic waver) in front of the Saleen. Maybe the Saleen let off somewhere in the end, but I can tell I was still gaining slowly but always at the same pace on him..

The guy was cool about it and give me thumbs up, which I couldnt return because of seeing it too late

Unknown mods on the S281 but I saw him the next day in a different car and the exhaust tone was really agressive. I'd say at least catback. Nice looking car except for some ricer sticker on the side...

CLIFF NOTES;
-In a 2nd gear roll, I started 2 cars behind the Saleen S281 05-08 vert and manage to put 1 car on him to almost top of 4th.
-Wasnt a honk race but the guy obviously guned it because when I punched it, I sure wasnt reeling hard on him. No big jump for anyone.
-Guy was cool about the whole thing and gave me the thumbs up
-I didnt know S281 were fast before that!

***edit, I think theres no way of telling diff easily between 05-08 S281, so it could have been a 05-08.**

Last edited by Johnnystock; 10-19-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you spray him?...good kill on a pretty quick car
Old 10-19-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Figured you would pull harder on him if you are HCI, but it could have had a few mods. Good kill.

My buddy had a 99-04 S281. He had headers, and straight 3inch pipes. That car was one of the best sounding cars I have ever heard, but it wasn't nearly as impressive as you would think a car that expensive should be. It looked cool though.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:42 AM

Good kill. What did the guy in the Seville do that made him a punk?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

nice kill! whats your H/C combo and i'm assuming you didn't spray
Old 10-19-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PowershifterNC
did you spray him?...good kill on a pretty quick car
No spray!! thanks

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Figured you would pull harder on him if you are HCI, but it could have had a few mods. Good kill.
3 cars sound pretty good for me against a stock 465hp(or the 435hp version which had to be modded..) car with unknown mods!

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good kill. What did the guy in the Seville do that made him a punk?
The Seville went off like crazy when he just saw us and cut traffic, then cut the Saleen after to get in front, like if it was a battle for the 1st place. In the turnpike, he was taking the corner really hard to keep in front. He was driving dangerously for nothing while we were waiting for a straight and empty place...
Old 10-19-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
3 cars sound pretty good for me against a stock 465hp(or the 435hp version which had to be modded..) car with unknown mods!
I wasn't aware that the newer versions made that much power. I know the extremes make pretty good power, but those are few and far between.

I guess I was wrong... doesn't happen very often
Old 10-21-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
At no point in your story did you say it was the S/C version. Nor did you confirm it. PLease explain how any one is supposed to know it was an S281SC and not an S281. In fact, in your OP, you stated "S281"

Originally Posted by Juicy J
I wasn't aware that the newer versions made that much power. I know the extremes make pretty good power, but those are few and far between.

I guess I was wrong... doesn't happen very often
See above.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by King Nothing
nice kill! whats your H/C combo and i'm assuming you didn't spray
so no info on your h/c combo?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ponygt65
At no point in your story did you say it was the S/C version. Nor did you confirm it. PLease explain how any one is supposed to know it was an S281SC and not an S281. In fact, in your OP, you stated "S281"

See above.
No way a S281 not SC would stay that close to me unless every boltons and a niceshot of nitrous My mistake to write S281 and not S281sc.

Originally Posted by King Nothing
so no info on your h/c combo?
Stage 3 cnc 243s and a mild TR cam.