Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Puppy kicked a 71' nova

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Felix C
I read PHR, Hot Rod and Car Craft religiously in the early-mid 1980s and do not recall wheel dynos in their articles.

No one at the track ever spoke in terms of rear wheel power and we had no means to measure locally. No shop in my area ever had one.
Agreed. It's not that I didn't know about and/or hear about wheel dyno's, it's just that very few V8 muscle car guys ran there cars on them, and even back then we all knew there numbers were BS and varied wildly dyno to dyno. Basically, only the big turbo hondas and supras made a habit of hitting the rear wheel dyno's.

Us V8 carbed guys (and the magazines that were devoted to us) didn't give much of a rats *** about a rearwheel dyno. Why? Because when dealing with old school muscle any kind of decent POWER build involves a ENGINE build, not like today where a cam only, or more radical cam and heads is considered a stout street build. Heck, I used to swap out cams every weekend and traded them like some guys traded baseball cards in an effort to find the best power with my various setups.

When you build a old school carbed build, you really need to have a engine dyno done to set the carburetor jetting/accelerator pump/ 1" carb spacer needed or not/ vacuum advance curve and mechanical advance curves set/ oil leaks fixed/ valves adjusted/ to verify oil pressure to the top end is 'just right'/ and a host of other little things done that will literally save you weeks of chasing issues and trial and error.

Most of that can be done on a engine dyno much faster, cheaper, and easier then on a chassis dyno. And all of that time and effort dialing in the engine was just for the baseline tune! Hit the 1/4 mile up and there goes another chunk of your life spent doing dozens of runs trying to dial in the engine AND the no-two-are-ever-alike chassis those old engines came in. Best bring a spare set of plugs, a set of hotter and colder plugs, spare set of wires, too, cuz you probably will burn a set up on your headers during all the wrenching.

God help you if you don't have a quick change spring set in your vacuum secondaries and the magical quick-jet-change float bowls... ask me how many times I've chased after those little cork vacuum secondary washers and how many cars on fire I've seen after dumped fuel hits a red hot header... including mine on at least a couple occasions...
Old 06-26-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1dirtybird
good kill... I'd take yer money

But just because its an iron vortec headed sbc don't mean its slow... my car dips into the 10's on a 100 shot. Its nothing more then a great basic combo with a lot of time in making it work. I get people telling me that their old muscle car went 10's. All I do is politely tell them "no it didn't, maybe in the 1/8th"
I don't understand how your car is so fast with the mods listed..."
70 Nova (Barney) 355, carbed, juice, th400, 3.8k verter, 12 bolt..11.89@113.66 1.70 60ft All motor 320rwhp 306rwtq" I have the wrong engine my car if all I need is a carb and stall to go 11.89@113.66 in the 1/4 and 10's on the spray! From what I've read over the years is that the LS powered engines out perform the older carbbed 350's all day. What I get from your sig is that you have a 3.8k verter on spray that is stock running 11's! I'm sorry to say but I call BS or teach me something new that I've never seen before.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wicked383lt1
I don't understand how your car is so fast with the mods listed..."
70 Nova (Barney) 355, carbed, juice, th400, 3.8k verter, 12 bolt..11.89@113.66 1.70 60ft All motor 320rwhp 306rwtq" I have the wrong engine my car if all I need is a carb and stall to go 11.89@113.66 in the 1/4 and 10's on the spray! From what I've read over the years is that the LS powered engines out perform the older carbbed 350's all day. What I get from your sig is that you have a 3.8k verter on spray that is stock running 11's! I'm sorry to say but I call BS or teach me something new that I've never seen before.
I can make your ls1 car do magical things too worry about weight, suspension, converter, tire and gearing 1st then hp.

Also from what i have seen it takes an LSX 30~50 more hp to do the same thing as a sbc. I have built alot of both.

And i have many time slips and vid's too. That was the best DA (2000ft) we had had too. Im still working the bugs out should go 11.5-11.6 all motor. My dyno is a bit off because i had crimp bent 2 1/2 inch flow masters. the car now has 3 inch magnaflows so prolly more like 335~345 to the tire. Car drives to and from the track and get 15mpg on the high way too lol. Again it takes time and effort to get a car to do these things.

Last edited by 1dirtybird; 06-26-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can make your ls1 car do magical things too worry about weight, suspension, converter, tire and gearing 1st then hp.

Also from what i have seen it takes an LSX 30~50 more hp to do the same thing as a sbc. I have built alot of both.

And i have many time slips and vid's too. That was the best DA (2000ft) we had had too. Im still working the bugs out should go 11.5-11.6 all motor. My dyno is a bit off because i had crimp bent 2 1/2 inch flow masters. the car now has 3 inch magnaflows so prolly more like 335~345 to the tire. Car drives to and from the track and get 15mpg on the high way too lol. Again it takes time and effort to get a car to do these things.
So what your saying is if I put track suspension,slicks,and a converter,I'd run low 12's? I'm not seeing it unless you weight is south of 2900lbs. Then maybe and that's still hard to believe with so little hp. So if you had 500rwhp you'd run 9's in good weather. Can someone else chime in!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The LS engines are the Big Blocks of this time.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

So what your saying is if I put track suspension,slicks,and a converter,I'd run low 12's? I'm not seeing it unless you weight is south of 2900lbs. Then maybe and that's still hard to believe with so little hp. So if you had 500rwhp you'd run 9's in good weather. Can someone else chime in!
Bottom 10's for sure. Car weighs 3300 with me in it. My buddys 02 ta went 11.90 with alot of converter, suspension, and just bolt-on's weighed 32XX with driver. I built my buddys 00 frc it made 369/375 and went 12.39 w/1.85 60ft and has trapped a best of 114.5 on the same night. Just bolt-on's, heads, stock cam, and a fried stock clutch! Thats with stiff *** suspension. It will see 11's for sure with a new clutch and trans.

I can see you aint getting it, but if you were in az I'd take ya out for a good kicking. But till then keep reading the internet its always right
Old 06-26-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bottom 10's for sure. Car weighs 3300 with me in it. My buddys 02 ta went 11.90 with alot of converter, suspension, and just bolt-on's weighed 32XX with driver. I built my buddys 00 frc it made 369/375 and went 12.39 w/1.85 60ft and has trapped a best of 114.5 on the same night. Just bolt-on's, heads, stock cam, and a fried stock clutch! Thats with stiff *** suspension. It will see 11's for sure with a new clutch and trans.

I can see you aint getting it, but if you were in az I'd take ya out for a good kicking. But till then keep reading the internet its always right
No need to be a ******** and I know that the Internet isn't right but I always ask alot of questions. Wish I was closer so we could race. Win or lose! How much power did your buddies t/a make run 11.90?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

No need to be a ******** and I know that the Internet isn't right but I always ask alot of questions. Wish I was closer so we could race. Win or lose! How much power did your buddies t/a make run 11.90?
You are right. As in my 1st reply I said "good kill" as it was. We race alot out this way and talk ALOT of ****. Sorry if i was a bit dickish.

The expressoin of a "good kicking" is lost if not herd with a British accent lol.

It made 32X ish through a 5k+ converter he made it into a stock eliminator car and it ended up going low 10's with just a cam.

Edit if you scroll down the gen 1 section there are a couple threads on my build, you will see there is more/and less to it, then i let on to.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
600 CFM carb and 475 rwhp hey...
That's what I thought to myself.
600 carb and ROFLMFAO ......
Old 06-26-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You are right. As in my 1st reply I said "good kill" as it was. We race alot out this way and talk ALOT of ****. Sorry if i was a bit dickish.

The expressoin of a "good kicking" is lost if not herd with a British accent lol.

It made 32X ish through a 5k+ converter he made it into a stock eliminator car and it ended up going low 10's with just a cam.

Edit if you scroll down the gen 1 section there are a couple threads on my build, you will see there is more/and less to it, then i let on to.
ok cool

Quick Reply: Puppy kicked a 71' nova