Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock 14 5.0 vs stock ls3 5th gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
do 5th gens really feel slow to you guys?

i admit my 1le isnt a rocket but it has no problem getting going in any gear.

they are big and heavy but i think they overcome that to an extent.
I was very under whelmed by them. The 6G is a much better car all around
Old 05-05-2016, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 459 Likes on 360 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Not at all. The gearing is long in them so that will throw some off. But the chassis is great....best out by far till the 6gen.

These guys are mostly just eat up with 5br0s. They ain't near the car a 5gen is. Rather uninspiring is what i got outta driving one. Maybe it was the hype....maybe i expected to much. Big let down.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Here is how I look at it (unbiased). I personally owned a 5g 2ss so my info is not guess, or opinion based off of hype or hearsay. The 5g, 5.0, and 392 6.4 mopar are all great cars and are fast from the factory relatively speaking. Are either one of them 'slow turds' not really when you are comparing to a Camry or Civic. It is between the two (5g and 5.0) the 5.0 stock is the better performer and you can definitely tell this when test driving each car back to back (as I did). I personally liked the interior and exterior styling much better in the 2ss but I was also aware with mods it's anybody's ballgame (performance wise).

The 1Le has 391's so is automatically a little bit more responsive and quicker off the line than a l99 or ls3 (non 1le car). They are not turds but are the slowest of the three in stock form. I sold mine a little over a year of ownership bc I was just not impressed with it (even after hc and fbo). It still comes down to personal opinions of what one likes. It is not a bad car neither is a 392, or coyote.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fast02Z06
Here is how I look at it (unbiased). I personally owned a 5g 2ss so my info is not guess, or opinion based off of hype or hearsay. The 5g, 5.0, and 392 6.4 mopar are all great cars and are fast from the factory relatively speaking. Are either one of them 'slow turds' not really when you are comparing to a Camry or Civic. It is between the two (5g and 5.0) the 5.0 stock is the better performer and you can definitely tell this when test driving each car back to back (as I did). I personally liked the interior and exterior styling much better in the 2ss but I was also aware with mods it's anybody's ballgame (performance wise).

The 1Le has 391's so is automatically a little bit more responsive and quicker off the line than a l99 or ls3 (non 1le car). They are not turds but are the slowest of the three in stock form. I sold mine a little over a year of ownership bc I was just not impressed with it (even after hc and fbo). It still comes down to personal opinions of what one likes. It is not a bad car neither is a 392, or coyote.
Right there with you. I test drove 3 stock L99 2012-2013 5Gs and one bolt on L99 5G and 2 stock S197s and then the car I ended up buying. Tested all sorts of different trim levels between 1ss, 2ss, gt base, gt premium and landed on the premium.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Right there with you. I test drove 3 stock L99 2012-2013 5Gs and one bolt on L99 5G and 2 stock S197s and then the car I ended up buying. Tested all sorts of different trim levels between 1ss, 2ss, gt base, gt premium and landed on the premium.
I just put in bold the area where you fucked up.

EDIT: Excuse me, I meant where you AND GM fucked up.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
I just put in bold the area where you fucked up.

EDIT: Excuse me, I meant where you AND GM fucked up.
L99 5G out of the box was a turd but a few guys here with dedicated setups like 62nalide and rhino79 have done well with the vvt L99.

Out of the box I couldn't even get the damn things to spin the tires stock and I've seen them run mid-high 13's here as the norm in the 1/4 and 8.8-8.9 in the 1/8th stock as the norm.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:28 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Fast02Z06

Stock for stock it's a drivers race if both are driven to their potential. The 5br0 may feel quicker do to the much much shorter gearing.

The 3.91s in the 1le has little affect on the snappiness of the car. Really you don't even know they are there until you get to 4th gear. The gear splits are almost identical till then. What makes the 1le feel more responsive is it has eps and it's wheel/tire combo is like 6lb lighter each and much shorter height. A more taught suspension helps also.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Stock for stock it's a drivers race if both are driven to their potential. The 5br0 may feel quicker do to the much much shorter gearing.

The 3.91s in the 1le has little affect on the snappiness of the car. Really you don't even know they are there until you get to 4th gear. The gear splits are almost identical till then. What makes the 1le feel more responsive is it has eps and it's wheel/tire combo is like 6lb lighter each and much shorter height. A more taught suspension helps also.
Idk about driver's race. I went 8.2-8.3 with stock power and stock tune. All stock L99s I see here did 8.8-8.9. Pretty darn near the current stock 6G and 5.Br0 gap.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I'm not talking about l99s. It seems the conversation was 1le's really......but there have been quite a few l99 run even into the high 12s.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not talking about l99s. It seems the conversation was 1le's really......but there have been quite a few l99 run even into the high 12s.
Definitely not at my track, but I wish I could have ran my car at a hero track where they are capable of that.

Do you happen to have Phil's stock 5G slip? I'm curious to compare.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:07 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

No...but there is no real comparison. A 5gen will 1/8 like ****. It's harder to get the extra weight moving with stupid tall tires and gearing. They run better once out a bit.

You said stock power stock tune. What mods did you have?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

No...but there is no real comparison. A 5gen will 1/8 like ****. It's harder to get the extra weight moving with stupid tall tires and gearing. They run better once out a bit.

You said stock power stock tune. What mods did you have?
My car 1/8ths like **** too. Traps are the start of 3rd gear. Picks up more on big end.

When I purchased the car, the previous owner had installed the 19" RTR wheels and some miscellaneous bullshit suspension parts I ended up replacing all of with parts I liked as I was chasing down a suspension squeak noise. Ended up being the expensive Metco LCAs that were squeaking.

Car had the miscellaneous bullshit suspension mods but it didn't really amount to much as the 275/40/19 Continental DWS tires all around only managed a 2.0572 and 2.0608 60. Was still stock everything power wise and tune. I say stock power and stock tune as it had 19" RTRs and different tires and suspension but obviously judging by the 60 the suspension didn't help much. I managed to cut a 1.93 with the same tires my last 1/4 run with headers, orx, and aluminum DS and a tune.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

But Hio... He owned one... you didn't. He should know don't you think?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 166 Likes on 116 Posts

L99 was a total turd stock
Old 05-07-2016, 06:30 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
But Hio... He owned one... you didn't. He should know don't you think?
He also takes dick in his ***. Anything he thinks he knows is questionable.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:08 AM
Launching!

He also takes dick in his ***. Anything he thinks he knows is questionable.
My God dude why are you so obsessed with his personal life? I never talk mess on here and seldom even comment but I can't help notice how you constantly harp on him being gay. This shows your true character and makes you look even more disgraceful than you are smh. I know Zach and can 100% promise you in person you would not dare make these comments to him to his face. Carry on though I just had to comment because you obviously have some interest with something deeper than cars and your hate on Ford products.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:52 AM
Banned

Dont bash dougie...he's poor, white, and angry at the world for nor be able to afford anything this century.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mariojmoe
My God dude why are you so obsessed with his personal life? I never talk mess on here and seldom even comment but I can't help notice how you constantly harp on him being gay. This shows your true character and makes you look even more disgraceful than you are smh. I know Zach and can 100% promise you in person you would not dare make these comments to him to his face. Carry on though I just had to comment because you obviously have some interest with something deeper than cars and your hate on Ford products.
Did he say something that isn't true?

Old 05-07-2016, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Ok guys....no more malin fun of the gay guy. I'm sorry.

He actually does seem pretty cool.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by big hammer
L99 was a total turd stock
the one i rented for a week years ago was imo ok.

but i just opened up my stock 1le and it felt and sounded healthy.

Quick Reply: Stock 14 5.0 vs stock ls3 5th gen