Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

me vs 99 Cobra with mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default me vs 99 Cobra with mods

Hey, just got done with a quick race with a 99 Cobra. This guy is a real ***, he had a 97 mustang with like 4.10 gears and talked a buncha ****. Everywhere he went, he was spinning tires all over the place... anyways, I beat the living daylights out of that car and havent ran into him until tonight.

I was taking my gf home, and this black 99 cobra with this super loud exhaust, weird looking hood, rolls up next to me, and much to my surprise its him. So i follow him onto the highway and we go from about 50 (not where I really wanted to be with the A4) and he jumps out and im at his door, he shifts and pulls a car, my car shifts and I creep back to his door, He shifts again and I start pulling on him and I see his friend tell him to shut down.

He follows me to a gas station, and he says im the 1st WS6 hes got to race since his new car... He says hes got a full exhaust, 4.10's, and a intake maybe, and a couple other things. Claims it puts down 320hp. I say he has a cool car and all, and ask why he shut down right after his last shift, He says because of his 4.10 gears he woulda took off on me. I give him a funny look, and I begin on my way.

my question is... did this race go like it should have? With the mods he has, is his car supposed to be that fast? I thought the 4.10 gears would have hurt his top end, and this was why I was pulling back on him at the end. Also, I now know I gotta start modding the car, what should I start with? I know I have to get a stall for the A4, and I guess after that headers and new intake will be up. With these mods I should have no problem pulling away from him right?
Old 02-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS6VERT
..we go from about 50 ... and he jumps out and im at his door, he shifts and pulls a car, my car shifts and I creep back to his door, He shifts again and I start pulling on him and I see his friend tell him to shut down... ...He says hes got a full exhaust, 4.10's, and a intake maybe, and a couple other things. Claims it puts down 320hp. ...

....my question is... did this race go like it should have? With the mods he has, is his car supposed to be that fast? I thought the 4.10 gears would have hurt his top end, and this was why I was pulling back on him at the end.
The outcome sounds about right to me. I would guess he's at ~305-310 rwhp. He would not have done as well without the 4.10's. The 99 Cobra is a 4valve which breaths well up top and safely revs to 7k, so the 4.10's help him a lot. That engine even does well with 4.56's for drag racing. Apparently your power curve is a bit better, which is why you started to pull on him up top. I'm assuming he had a passenger and you didn't - that would matter in a close race.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If that's all you have for mods, the results sound about right. Gears and Mustangs go together very, VERY nicely. His reason for letting out up top isn't right though...you would have trucked right past him if you would have taken it faster.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4v cobras with steep gears do pretty well till they crap out at 105
Old 02-11-2005, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

I had my gf with me but she weighs about 105lbs.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:30 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my gf with me but she weighs about 105lbs.
Yeah, sure j/k
Old 02-11-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by black00TA
4v cobras with steep gears do pretty well till they crap out at 105
4.10s @ 105 mph with stock sized tires is only ~5600 rpm. His peak HP is at ~6100 rpm, so he would still have quite a bit of pull left.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Hey, just got done with a quick race with a 99 Cobra. This guy is a real ***, he had a 97 mustang with like 4.10 gears and talked a buncha ****. Everywhere he went, he was spinning tires all over the place... anyways, I beat the living daylights out of that car and havent ran into him until tonight.

I was taking my gf home, and this black 99 cobra with this super loud exhaust, weird looking hood, rolls up next to me, and much to my surprise its him. So i follow him onto the highway and we go from about 50 (not where I really wanted to be with the A4) and he jumps out and im at his door, he shifts and pulls a car, my car shifts and I creep back to his door, He shifts again and I start pulling on him and I see his friend tell him to shut down.

He follows me to a gas station, and he says im the 1st WS6 hes got to race since his new car... He says hes got a full exhaust, 4.10's, and a intake maybe, and a couple other things. Claims it puts down 320hp. I say he has a cool car and all, and ask why he shut down right after his last shift, He says because of his 4.10 gears he woulda took off on me. I give him a funny look, and I begin on my way.

my question is... did this race go like it should have? With the mods he has, is his car supposed to be that fast? I thought the 4.10 gears would have hurt his top end, and this was why I was pulling back on him at the end. Also, I now know I gotta start modding the car, what should I start with? I know I have to get a stall for the A4, and I guess after that headers and new intake will be up. With these mods I should have no problem pulling away from him right?

a4 pullin m6 on roll race= ur car faster /thread

the thing about roll racing is...its not about who is ahead, but who gets the jump and who pulls.

i love roll racing, it relfects a cars horsepower better then off the line, however, if its done wrong the results will be inaccurate.

an example of inaccuracy would be: two cars that are exactly the same ( type, power, gearing, tranny , engine etc) lets say they both line up, at whatever speed, if one gets a good jump, he will keep pulling away, because he is always goin 1-2 mph faster, and as long he is just goin 1-2 mph faster he is pulling away.

thats why when someone else gets the jump then u pass them its a ****** huge deal.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
4.10s @ 105 mph with stock sized tires is only ~5600 rpm. His peak HP is at ~6100 rpm, so he would still have quite a bit of pull left.
I think he was being sarcastic...
Old 02-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Teching In

I didn't catch it; at what mph did you shut down?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

not too sure, it was around 110 i guess
Old 02-12-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

With 4.10's? ****, you would have continued kicking his *** on top end. They have nice power up top, but you'd still pull him.