Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Mustang vs. My Formula?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang vs. My Formula?

This is a little long, so you can skip to the bottom if you are lazy.

I dont know if this is the right place for this, but im going to ask it anyways. Some kid at school wont shut up about how his car could own mine. I dont race on the street, but I said that I am willing to go to the local racetrack when the weather clears up. I dont brag about my car or like to show off too much, but this is getting rediculus.

I have a 2000 Formula, Automatic, with a Magnaflow catback and an SLP air lid. Thats it. He drives a 1998 Mustang GT automatic He wont tell me what he has for mods, but a friend of mine told me he has a cold air intake, racing cam, headers, low restriction exhaust of some kind, and a good tune. He claimed to get 275 at the rear wheels today, at which I laughed a little, and said my car probably made more stock. He claimed that my car would make no more than 245 at the rear wheels stock("Its not a trans am or ws6" ), at which I again laughed and told him how GM under-rated our cars stock HP at the crank. He thought that was BS. I think I will make about 300rwhp, is this off base at all? Because he said that I wouldnt make more than 290, which he was willing to put money on.

So basically, I am asking who would win in the quater mile, him or me?

Cliffnotes:
Me: 2000 Formula, Air Lid, Catback
Him: 1998 Mustang GT, "Racing" Cam, headers, exhaust. He says 275 HP but could be more, I sure dont trust him.
Who would win?
Old 04-27-2005, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say you would be around 280-290 since you have a auto. If he hasn't done any work to the trans or a stall you should beable to win. Goodluck
Old 04-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

He'd better have all those mods he claims to have, since he was starting with probably the slowest (stock) V8 Mustang in 20 years or so...

Just race him & find-out who's faster!
Old 04-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Teching In

You should be real close to 300HP out back, but either way its a mustang with a 4.slow you should win, there is a guy with a saleen (supercharged) mustang like a 2001 or so and he has done some exhaust work and thats it and I can spank him any day of the week I think his saleen has like 320HP so if this guy has 275HP it should be a cake walk
Old 04-28-2005, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

I put 295 down on a mustang dyno with just a lid, tb bypass, descreened maf. Everything else was stock, even the exhaust. What gears do you have? If you've got 2.73's you should run around a 13.5+/- with those mods. With 3.23's you should be around a 13.3+/-. Either way, you should own him on the street or the track.

Those cars won't have a racing "cam". They'll have 2 cams if they've been swapped. My guess is that it still has the stock cams in it.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bbqz28
I put 295 down on a mustang dyno with just a lid, tb bypass, descreened maf. Everything else was stock, even the exhaust. What gears do you have? If you've got 2.73's you should run around a 13.5+/- with those mods. With 3.23's you should be around a 13.3+/-. Either way, you should own him on the street or the track.

Those cars won't have a racing "cam". They'll have 2 cams if they've been swapped. My guess is that it still has the stock cams in it.
my thoughts exactly....

you shouldnt have a problem...remember, you have the formula for speed!!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Banned

if the guy says it has a cam then he's full of **** because those car had 2 cams. SOHC and if he had those mods on that engine he'd be over 275 at the wheels. when my old Z28 was stock i beat a gears/exhaust/bolton 98 cobra by about 3 cars in less than an eighth mile and i was still pullin him hard
Old 04-28-2005, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

You suck =( I put down the same amount, with the mods in my sig and a tune.
wtf is wrong with my car =((
Old 04-28-2005, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

i think you can take him
Old 04-28-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeyS2k5
This is a little long, so you can skip to the bottom if you are lazy.

I dont know if this is the right place for this, but im going to ask it anyways. Some kid at school wont shut up about how his car could own mine. I dont race on the street, but I said that I am willing to go to the local racetrack when the weather clears up. I dont brag about my car or like to show off too much, but this is getting rediculus.

I have a 2000 Formula, Automatic, with a Magnaflow catback and an SLP air lid. Thats it. He drives a 1998 Mustang GT automatic He wont tell me what he has for mods, but a friend of mine told me he has a cold air intake, racing cam, headers, low restriction exhaust of some kind, and a good tune. He claimed to get 275 at the rear wheels today, at which I laughed a little, and said my car probably made more stock. He claimed that my car would make no more than 245 at the rear wheels stock("Its not a trans am or ws6" ), at which I again laughed and told him how GM under-rated our cars stock HP at the crank. He thought that was BS. I think I will make about 300rwhp, is this off base at all? Because he said that I wouldnt make more than 290, which he was willing to put money on.

So basically, I am asking who would win in the quater mile, him or me?

Cliffnotes:
Me: 2000 Formula, Air Lid, Catback
Him: 1998 Mustang GT, "Racing" Cam, headers, exhaust. He says 275 HP but could be more, I sure dont trust him.
Who would win?
most mustang owners seem to be ignornant about pretty much everything and just think they are the baddest **** on the road. and i laughed out loud when he said a formula is slower than a trans am or ws6, a formula is exactly a trans am with a different body. 98 mustang gts were like the worst mustang ever, i raced a stock 98 gt with my SLOW V6 and i was pulling on him until 50 when he only put 2 feet infront of me by 80. but even with mods they are still garbage, bet him and take all his money.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Teching In

um....just read my sig!!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1's avg around 300rwhp, a little less for autos. If he ain't bsing on his rwhp, you should skull drag his ***, bury him and report back.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

With 3.23's you should be around a 13.3+/-.
Yeah I got the 3.23's.

As for his cam or cams or whatever, I honestly have no idea, I heard this from a friend of mine, because the guy with the stang doesnt seem to like to share his mods with others, so it might be off base a bit. When he drives through the parking lot tho, it sounds like he has to rev real high to go anywhere (Either way his exhaust tone sounds like its going through tin can, but he seem to like it, because my magnaflow "sounds untuned" ). Another thing is that another friend had raced him in an 02 Mustang GT 5spd, totally stock, and said he kept with him. He sprays, but said he wouldnt for the race, and will go all motor, which is probably better, he already blew his motor once.

I will do my best to kick his *** when the weather clears up around here.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by steven99WS6
You should be real close to 300HP out back, but either way its a mustang with a 4.slow you should win,
Yeah, a 4.6 couldn't possibly be fast...
Old 04-29-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZEEMAN
if the guy says it has a cam then he's full of **** because those car had 2 cams. SOHC and if he had those mods on that engine he'd be over 275 at the wheels. when my old Z28 was stock i beat a gears/exhaust/bolton 98 cobra by about 3 cars in less than an eighth mile and i was still pullin him hard
gts are SOHC; cobras are DOHC.

The guy says he has a cam on his GT, that's correct, only one cam.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:59 AM
STF Veteran

No, the SOHC engines DO have two cams, one in each head, and it has two heads as it's a 90' V engine.

Ok, that being said, he's lieing about his rwhp, or VASTLY overestimating.

Those cars claimed 215-225hp crank, and that was a very generous claim. They were slower than the old 5.0s which made 215-225hp crank. The heads sucked, the cams sucked, the exhaust sucked. it has SIX cats.

So assuming he has a gutted exhaust, and killer cams, he STILL has sucky heads to try and draw that air through. 225hp crank is about 185rwhp... maybe less through his auto. He's trying to tell you that some exhaust work and a cam gained him 90rwhp with the shitty non-PI 4.6L heads? BULLSHIT. He's either got juice hidden or he's a liar. We can barely gain 90rwhp from a cam swap and we have killer heads to start with.

You should be around 280-290rwhp stock in an automatic ls1, so with your mods you should be closing in on 300rwhp.

That race is ALL you.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a lot of idiocy in this thread so far. We've got one guy who says the Mustang can't possibly win because it's a 4.6, another guy telling us an SOHC mod motor has only one cam.

I doubt he's making that much power because those non PI heads were horrible (like Skarecrow already mentioned). My friend ran his '98 GT stock with only an H-pipe and a catback and hit a 14.7 E/T. All he did was swap out the non-PI heads for stock heads off of a 2000 GT and ran a 14.1 E/T.. non-ported PI heads. He's got some VT2 cams and a 5-speed going in pretty soon so I can't comment on it yet.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
gts are SOHC; cobras are DOHC.

The guy says he has a cam on his GT, that's correct, only one cam.
Single Over Head Cam - 1 cam over each head, 2 heads = 2 cams
Dual Over Head Cam - 2 cams over each head, 2 heads = 4 cams
Old 05-03-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BBQLS1
Single Over Head Cam - 1 cam over each head, 2 heads = 2 cams
Dual Over Head Cam - 2 cams over each head, 2 heads = 4 cams
Now i'm an *ss, should of said per side, hahaha. Replaced one in a 95 tbird with low milage under warranty, don't know why they didn't do both? Of course, don't try working 20 hours straight. Damn IT has it's downside.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinkin' he MIGHT put up a little fight through the 1/8th until I read he has an automatic. Sorry Ford boys, but everyone knows how pathetic those auto trannies are. Like mentioned earlier: unless he's done some work on that tranny and has a stall, this guy won't be ****. Even if he's puttin' down 300rwhp which he isn't, you'd still walk him.

I raced a guy with full bolt-ons and a supercharger on his '96-'98 Mustang GT M5, and he was BARELY pulling away from me past 80 mph... so you need to put some money on this race and bring many a whitness.