Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Turbo Avenger OWNED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Avenger OWNED!

I was driving through Lincoln IL today going to Peoria for work. I have a 2002 SS 35th Anniversary Camaro. Well, some kid in a black avenger loaded with fart pipe and body kit pulls up next to me. He begins to rev at the light and I can here his turbo spooling and the B.O.V. He takes off at the light and I just mind my buisness but kinda stick with him. A van pulled out in front of me so I got behind him and we got stopped by another light. As soon as the light turned green he nailed it and so did I. Remeber I am behind him, I had to let off the gas so I wouldn't take out his bumper, as soon as we cleared the van in the right lane I swerved over and got dead even next to him, He had it to the floor and running through the gears and I didn't even have the SS nailed and I was with him. So I gave him the wave and floored it. I was suprised at how little power his car had even with a turbo I thought for sure I might have had a race. But he might have been weighed down with all the body kit crap on his car. Who knows he wouldn't try me again at the next light.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:24 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo avenger? Now that's the first I hear of one... I guess people slap a turbo on anything nowadays. I should turbo my wife's LandRover.
Nice kill.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Who the hell makes a turbo kit for an Avenger?

Old 10-12-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyferal

probably a custom job. I'm sure he must have been running no more than 5lbs though. It's like turbo'ing a stock civic. that engine can't handle boost!
Old 10-12-2005, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

All I know is that avenger was rediculously loud...Could have been 5psi but that Blow off valve was loud and I think 5 Psi wouldn't make that much noise?? I dunno I'm turbo dumb.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

An Avenger/Sebring is the same car as a '95+ Mitsu Eclipse/Eagle Talon. I dunno if they make a turbo kit for the V6 models, but the 4bangers are the same 4bangers used in the Eclipse/Talon: the 420A. There are quite a few turbo kits for those engines, so having a turbo on an Avenger isn't that weird IMO. Sure you don't hear about them often, but their engines (reguardless of what car it's sitting in) gets turboed quite often by builders.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bboyferal

probably did a eclipse motor and turbo swap. the stock 4 cylinder is the 2.0 mitsubishi motor in the avenger. or just put the turbo and associated hardwear from the eclipse on it
Old 10-12-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Who cares what engine is in it.. it was obviously **** slow
Old 10-12-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2.0 litre engine in the eclipse talon turbo car has gone 7s in the 1/4 but of course that is a full bore done absolutely everything race car driven by a guy named Shepard.

There are several mid 11 second dsms at local track and they would be faster but need cages so turn the boost down. Again with big aftermarket turbos and all the support mods.

I know what they are capable of I have had two. My current one will be a guaranteed 11 second or faster car.
But yeah most guys don't really know what they are doing with them and tuning and support mods are critical. Still a turbo car can be slow and lose to another car bad one day and be right on your butt or faster the next day depending on how much boost you run ,what gas is in there,etc.

Now don't get me wrong I love my 99trans am ,and 96z28 vert but I also love my 97 turbo talon awd!! Especially when the f bodies are sleeping for the winter or its raining hard or snowing out.They make a killer 4 season driver.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:39 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 thing is an AWD DSM (any gen)- kick ***.. Another thing is a dorky *** FWD Avenger with a BOV! Hehehe.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm a big fan of DSM's.

Only like the first gen's, though.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=MY99TAWS6]The 2.0 litre engine in the eclipse talon turbo car has gone 7s in the 1/4 but of course that is a full bore done absolutely everything race car driven by a guy named Shepard.

ya but the motor in a n/a dsm is different that a turbo, the turbo version is a 4g63, can remember the code for the non-turbo.

ive heard of john shepards car, that thing is a monster.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Who cares what engine is in it.. it was obviously **** slow
just know thy foe my friend, unless u like lossing.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agree the 420a motor if he didn't swap in the turbo engine is not that great of course an not suited to the high boost you can put thru even the stock 2.0 turbo engines.

I had a 1g and liked it but the 2g has more refinements in terms of creature comforts that my 1g didn't have. I do like the style of my 2g but only really the 97 /98/99 talon and eclipse mostly the 95 to 96 had kind of ugly spoiler and front end and stuff compared to my 97 talon.

Of course awd is much better for 60fts especially on the street over fwd . One of the fastest cars at our local track this year was a talon fwd on drag tires that had to slow down to go 11.6 at around 126 mph . 60ft was still only 2.0 he was trying hard to not go under that 11.5 rollcage requirement since track is NHRA. Another awd talon was equally as fast with better 60fts.

So not saying this avenger would be that fast but if he did drop in the better turbo engine and a decent sized aftermarket turbo and some support mods it could be decent challenge for at least a near stock ls1.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Wow...I talk about whooping a turbo charged avenger and we get into a history of DSM and turbo charged AWD vehicles. Now I don't know where I'm going with this but does anyone know how much HP a stock avenger has? Then it would be easier in my mind to figure out what kind of gains he would be looking at with a turbo. I'm just curious as to what the avenger may have had under the hood and what he would have to do to beat my SS? Cuz if some kid with a 4 cylinder vehicle can just go out and slap lets say a 8-10psi turbo kit on his FWD family car and beat me, I just wasted a lot of money on an SS.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ryant430
Wow...I talk about whooping a turbo charged avenger and we get into a history of DSM and turbo charged AWD vehicles. Now I don't know where I'm going with this but does anyone know how much HP a stock avenger has? Then it would be easier in my mind to figure out what kind of gains he would be looking at with a turbo. I'm just curious as to what the avenger may have had under the hood and what he would have to do to beat my SS? Cuz if some kid with a 4 cylinder vehicle can just go out and slap lets say a 8-10psi turbo kit on his FWD family car and beat me, I just wasted a lot of money on an SS.
they are like 120 flywheel hp if i remember correctly, maybe 130-140. i gave up on fast imports long long before i bought my Z. its just not worth it to me to make one of them fast. sure its cool in its own way, but whenever i get home park the car and look at her while walking to the front door it just feels so right. i just hate lossing, so i want to know the most about the competitors that i can. ya know ya cant beat them all. ive became more track oriented with my car and i rarely mess around on the streets anymore
Old 10-12-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Humvee z28
just know thy foe my friend, unless u like lossing.
I wasnt saying they can't be fast.. just that particular one was **** slow
Old 10-12-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryant430
Now I don't know where I'm going with this but does anyone know how much HP a stock avenger has?
140 HP, 130 TQ is what the 420A is rated.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Humvee z28
the stock 4 cylinder is the 2.0 mitsubishi motor in the avenger.
Actually the non-turbo 2L motor, the 420A, is a Chrysler motor, not a Mitsu motor. Chrysler used this motor in the Eclipse, Talon, Avenger, Sebring, and Neon. I'm not sure if it was used in any other vehicles though.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
Actually the non-turbo 2L motor, the 420A, is a Chrysler motor, not a Mitsu motor. Chrysler used this motor in the Eclipse, Talon, Avenger, Sebring, and Neon. I'm not sure if it was used in any other vehicles though.
ohhh i was under the impression that it was a mitsubishi thanks for the info