Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

SS vs. RX7

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 03:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS vs. RX7

I was driving around looking for a friendly run and after no success I decided to head home. And on my way I notice some familiar looking headlights in the rearview. so I slow down to about 60 and wait. He must have been checking out my car bc he caught up quick but it took him forever to pass. I noticed he had a passanger(female) while I was alone. and he had some kind of exhaust. I never got to talk to the guy so I don't know if that was all he had or not. I got back even with him and dowlshifted to 3rd gr and waited.(I have no horn) The guy would only look straight ahead and after goosing the gas a few times i still got no responce.... feeling disapointed i figured he didn't wanna run so i upshifted and continued on my way. Well he comes back up and starts pacing me with his had on the top of his wheel and his head cocked forward like he is getting ready for the most serious race of his life lol. I go back to 3rd and wait again. The guy still won't take the move so i goose it again. Keep in mind i don't have a horn to honk and he won't look over. I was starting to get frustrated and was about to give up and and all of a sudden he goes for it! I quickly follow suite and the race is on. The initial jump he had didn't do him much good as i began passing him before the end of 3rd. I shifted to fourth and steadily walked away until i let up at about 125-130 and He must have lifted a bit b4 me because he was quite a ways back. I slowed down and rolled my window down and waited for him to catch back up. I gave him a thumbs up but he still didn't look over so he never saw it . And while he passed me his female passenger just stared at my car with her mouth open. lol

I was hoping for a better run out of him but oh well it was fun non the less.
for all i know all he had was an exhaust system. could have been more...

My 7 is pretty much full bolt-on w/stock fuel and tune. Unported motor and stock twins.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:24 AM
Launching!

lol...I was reading the whole thing thinking you were driving the SS.

how much power are you putting down? how manys #s of boost you running?
Old 11-27-2005, 07:07 AM
Teching In

I thought u were in the SS too -lol. A local guy with a beefed up 93-95 rx7 with huge single turbo, high boost, high dollar,etc. (went low 7's in 1/8th), lined with my buddy's ls1 z (with heads/cam/stall/125 shot and 1 passenger) - from a dig and got walked hard.
They are expensive, but look pretty good imo.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:15 AM
Teching In

RX-7's are beautiful, but a nightmare from a design stand point. My good friend bought a 93 that was nothing but problems for a year, between solenoids, actuators, and the mile of vacuum hose, it was just problem after problem. It finally broke a seal so we just swapped in a remanned engine, and for the first time in a year its actually really fun to drive. However now we are battling the heat issue, it has melted his cruise control cable, and another solenoid...

Nice kill in the Seven the only thing my friend has got to race from a roll is a supercharged Benz and that was not pretty at all.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by evo_killer
I thought u were in the SS too -lol. A local guy with a beefed up 93-95 rx7 with huge single turbo, high boost, high dollar,etc. (went low 7's in 1/8th), lined with my buddy's ls1 z (with heads/cam/stall/125 shot and 1 passenger) - from a dig and got walked hard.
They are expensive, but look pretty good imo.
which got walked hard? if its the ls1 and he has heads cam and 125 shot and couldnt get low 7s he should start all over lol. But im thinking your talking about the rx7.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

you must have alot of work done, good kill. I love the way you can wind out the rpm's in the rx7's. There is one that I raced that had stock turbo, boost controller, full exhaust, intercooler upgraded and a few other bolt-ons. we started from 2nd gear going 40mph and I didn't pull till I hit 4th gear, once I hit 4th I pulled really hard ( 3-4 cars ). It was like he ran outta steam on me. One of the best import races I've ever had. I like the older ones, the newer rx8's are just plain ugly and slow as ****. Again, good kill...........
Old 11-27-2005, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Yea, the LS1 walked away-far away-from the RX7 (in my story above). And, I agree they do seem to be hard to maintain and work on.
Nice kill by the way.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by evo_killer
Yea, the LS1 walked away-far away-from the RX7 (in my story above). And, I agree they do seem to be hard to maintain and work on.
Nice kill by the way.
they hard to maintain and work on with the stock twins..ocne you get them out of there and a signle..everything is a lot less complicated, but they still have issudes with heat because of the enourmous heat that the rotary produces.

good kill..I love fds, but I love fcs more...lol
Old 11-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Thanx for the compliments guys. I have never been on a dyno(street tuned) so i don't know how much power. But i should be in the low 300's. I hope to hit about 330hp @ 13psi on the dyno but I think that may be a little optomistic.

Sorry for the confusion, after re-reading the story myself i can't even tell which car i am until the end lol

And yes they are a bit of a pain to maintain. But the more you know about them the easier it gets. one of the main problem is all those damn vacume lines that get hot and brittle and crack. But with proper maintanence they can go a long and are a blast tp drive
Old 11-27-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ProjectD
Thanx for the compliments guys. I have never been on a dyno(street tuned) so i don't know how much power. But i should be in the low 300's. I hope to hit about 330hp @ 13psi on the dyno but I think that may be a little optomistic.

Sorry for the confusion, after re-reading the story myself i can't even tell which car i am until the end lol

And yes they are a bit of a pain to maintain. But the more you know about them the easier it gets. one of the main problem is all those damn vacume lines that get hot and brittle and crack. But with proper maintanence they can go a long and are a blast tp drive
are you still running sequential..or did you do the non sequential mod?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:45 AM
Teching In

still sequential and loving it. Oh and about the heat issue, i can deffinatley relate to that but after I put in my Fluidyne radiator my temps were reduced to a much more comfortable level.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Teching In

also if you lose a seal, just pull it and throw in a ls1
Old 11-27-2005, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Well if I ever do decide to put a piston engine in the car it will be an ls1. but I don't think i'll be loosing faith in the rotary anytime soon
Old 11-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Banned

sounds like you have that beast running pretty good I agree if all else fails drop a ls1 with a twin setup
Old 11-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001z
if all else fails drop a ls1 with a twin setup
Old 11-27-2005, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kill.

Before i knew any better i raced a Supra with my stock SS ,he told me he replaced the turbo as his only work done.
Little did i know he did not have a problem with his turbo,he just swapped in a bigger turbo,with all the tuning and fuel adjustments he stomped my SS pretty bad,but only after we got past 60 ish. I pulled him pretty good out of the hole.

So i am riding my R1 with a few friends when my brother-in-law pulls along side a RX7just looks over at him as he passes,the next thing you see is the 7 puked out a ton of black smoke and just sling-shot right past him!

Got all of our attention.

I tried to catch up to the action and have some fun too,but the RX7 and my brother-in-law took off before i got there. He was riding a 04 ZX6R Ninja(his best time was 10.8x@129)pretty quick bike(for a 600 especially),they take off with the RX7 pulling away from him and staying ahead of him till the 7 started popping(rev limiter,im sure) we were on the highway and went from 80ish till 150ish.

I got to watch the whole thing as i paced behind the bike ,my R1 is much faster than his Ninja!

I learned the hard way along time ago about turbos and boost,then i was schooled (or at least my brother-in-law was) about the RX7 specifically.

Nice cars IMO,good kill.

Dave
Old 11-27-2005, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ProjectD
Well he comes back up and starts pacing me with his had on the top of his wheel and his head cocked forward like he is getting ready for the most serious race of his life lol.
I love that. I see so many people do that. I remember some dude in a civic was tryingt o pass me in our wagon. With just the slightest easing onto the throttle I kept him at my rear bumper (wife would've made a scene about me punching it real quick).

Nice kill, man. 7s are the coolest.