Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

What's up with all the B.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default What's up with all the B.S.?

I'm at Jiffy Lube last week and there's an older IROC parked out front. Kind of rough looking, but a Z all the same. Asked the guy cashing me out who tell's me it's his. He also adds that he just dropped in an LS-6 along with a 9in rear. Say's its a mover. "Wow, can you give me a peek"?, I ask. "Nah", he say's. "Hood latch is broken". I walk out to take a peek underneath anyway, and of coarse, it's all original. Nother guy I know has a 68 GTO. Tell's me it runs low twelve's. Pop's the hood. Stock, right down to the exhaust manifolds. Say's its got a lot of internal mod's, cam, headwork, everything. Hell of a smooth idle you got there Al. Yeah, said your name. But the imports. There's the real race cars man! Selling my Z next week! Only engine mods needed to run 11's are an AEM cold air intake and MSD plug wire's and a high flow muffler!!!
Seriously, I love the street car's that I come across. Just wish the owners didn't feel they had to lie about their ride's.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not all owners of domestic are like that. You will encounter that a lot more in import circles though.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty much the oppisite. I hate going through everything I have (it gets tiresome when people are always asking), so I either just say nitrous and exhaust, or just a pulley.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

I hear it a lot too. "My stock Stang beats bikes" "My car picks up the front wheels." Maybe they think you'll like them more if they have cool stories? I dunno, but most BS stories are transparent and I feel more uncomfortable being around people who need to lie all the time. Don't insult my intelligence and just tell it to me straight -I'll still be your freind if you lose a freakin' race. Who cares? Hell, I lose all the time. There's always someone faster.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:46 PM
Tech Resident

Theres nothing wrong with getting beat... just means u need to work harder... it wouldnt be any fun to always win. but i guess some people dont get that
Old 11-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

It is possible to run 12's with stock exhaust manifolds. Theres a drag race series called FAST Factory Appearing Stock Tires, there is a Vette that runs 10's on bias ply tires and a ZL1 Camaro in the 11's along with a bunch of Hemi cars. I do think they have to run exhaust manifolds but they can be tweak. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ITSTOCK
I'm pretty much the oppisite. I hate going through everything I have (it gets tiresome when people are always asking), so I either just say nitrous and exhaust, or just a pulley.

I just don't even try anymore. Whether or not I had vette fuel rail covers on my car people always ask me "how hard was it to drop that vette engine into thise car". I just tell them anymore it was a piece of cake.
Matt
Old 11-29-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just don't even try anymore. Whether or not I had vette fuel rail covers on my car people always ask me "how hard was it to drop that vette engine into thise car". I just tell them anymore it was a piece of cake.
Matt
lol
Old 11-29-2005, 07:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't count how many times I have heard someone say there car runs 11's or even faster ( most of the time it is a import ). Most of the time I can get them to race and have won all of them so far . After the race the first thing they always say to me is " wow you must run 9's " What do you say to that?

Best of all I know of a few people that time there car by there stop watch.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Teching In

I too have started lying about my cars HP/ET's....everytime I tell the truth the person asking the question has a car themselves that makes more HP than mine (550rwhp) at home in the garage.....or they're getting ready to "build a motor" that should make 800hp or more........or, one of their friends has a 9 sec street car

So now, even at the track when people ask.....my car has LS1 edit, a gear and runs high 12's. After this comment the response is usually "wow, that thing rolls" Choose your poison my friends.

Busa196
Old 11-29-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

This one aquaintance of mine had a 89 TPI formula for a while, referred to it as "the beast" and told me it had 300-something horsepower. I was very skeptical of that boast since they don't do near that stock, must be modded right? I think he said he had a cam in it, but w/e.

I asked him to pop the hood and under there it looked worse than my 95 tahoe's engine bay did. Rusty and dusty. and of course completely stock.

It did have some cutouts though....
Old 11-30-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

I've been in this game for over 30 years. Ain't nothing changed, nothing at all.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ITSTOCK
Hell i dont bother anymore with mine either.Plus half have no clue on what im telling them anyway.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Does anyone have a friend who has a car, that stock runs low 16's, and he brags to you about how he has 2000 bucks that hes gonna spend on it on mods like a cam, exhaust, throttle body spacer(its a truck), and a K&N intake, and he makes the comment, after bragging about how bad *** its gonna be, that it should run with my car!!!!! Bullshit, my car has 2 seconds on your piece from the factory, plus the 20,000 bucks in the drivetrain, and his 2000 dollar modified silverado will keep up. Yahh, doubt it. Ohh, and he has another car, a supercharged riviera, with a smaller pulley and a home made intake that runs mid 12's. Its a tank, I dont think so. I'm the opposite, I understate my car so people dont ask so many freakin questions.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

as i was pulling out of my parking space at walmart a kid with a wrx sti revved his engine behind me, so i pulled up next to him where he stopped and Bs'd with him. im like "damn dude is that a STi?" hes like "yep and its got stuff done to it." so i added, "wow man "i bet that baby gets it!" hes replies all cocky and **** "yeah man". i asked " take it to the track yet?" "Nah man. you take your TA to the track?" I said "Nah. what do u think this car can do in the 1/4 mile?" He said 14s, maybe 13s" I said "Really? dang thats pretty good" Then we both pull out onto rt 47 in front of the shopping centers in vineland NJ where its 3 lanes wide. green light we both take off normal. then he jumps on it. then i proceeded to beat him like a red headed stepchild lol. The look on his face was priceless. I love my car.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Oh yeah i can relate to those other stories. Like how "My friend's 500 hp Evo will beat you" Im like no way really? or seriously, this one kid i know, Everytime i see him, hes got a story-- Yeah man im gonna twin turbo my lancer rally for 800 hp. or heres another one he says-- Im gettin a skyline and twin turbo'ing that too. That boy has more stories than Walt Disney!! He's such a Storyteller.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

yeah a guy who graduated from my school would always say stuff like that. at first he was gonna get a turboed eclipse on 18 in spinners. turns out he didint get it but instead a 97 v6 5sp camaro. then he said his rich uncle was has an 04 cobra that has over 500 hp. and his uncle bought him a 03 cobra for gradution and was modding it for him. never got that one either. then he said his uncle got rid of the cobra that he was gonna give him. and that hes getting an 04 GT. never got that one either. and the other day when i saw him he said hes fixing to put a down payment on an 01 black vert Camaro SS with lid, exhaust, "chip", short throw shifter, and other mods. for $10k. hahaha. but hes still driving his 97 camaro as of right now.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

omg you guys ain't seen nothing till you've sat next to this idiot in my 2nd period for 10 minutes. It's not car related, but he'll lie about any stupid retarded thing.

"I have a shed full of 40 machetes, and my dad killed my neighbors dog with one and we ate it."
"I learned kenjutsu when I was 8."
"I had sex with 2 bi sexual girls and can't even remember cause I was wasted."
"I have a glove with steel knuckles that I hit my friend with and he cried."

yeah... crap spews from his mouth 24/7. I loathe that kid with every fiber of my being. I know another kid thats always lying about his car but I honestly think it's cause he doesn't knwo any better. It's a 96 cherokee 4.0 and he thinks he'll see a 10mpg gain and 40hp gain from headers, catback, air filter.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

LMAO!!!! great stuff guys!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 1 BLOWN V8
I couldn't count how many times I have heard someone say there car runs 11's or even faster ( most of the time it is a import ). Most of the time I can get them to race and have won all of them so far . After the race the first thing they always say to me is " wow you must run 9's " What do you say to that?

Best of all I know of a few people that time there car by there stop watch.
Ya know, it never occured to me that some of these guy's might be timing their car's with a stopwatch!