Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Rx7 vs ls1 SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Rx7 vs ls1 SS

I was driving down a road with mild traffic in the middle of 3 lanes and i noticed a red w/black top SS up ahead in the fast lane. I caught up to get a better view and noticed it had an exhaust.

As I passed by I saw the driver leaning foward to look at my car. At the moment there were cars in front of both of us so we couldn't run 'em yet. but je stomped on the gas for a second and hit the brakes.
looks like he wants to play. I do the same to let him know i'm game. So we drive for a few more minutes until we could get in front of the two cars in front of us.

We finaly got to line up from about 40. I took the hit and he imediatley followed suite. I was able to pull close to half a car (more like a fender). and held it through 3rd with him not gaining and me not pulling any more. we stopped at about 90 or so.

Rx7---1
SS----0

we then slowed back to the speed limit and exchanged and then caught a light. I rolled down my window and asked him if he was stock (other than the obvious exhaust) but i couldn't tell what he said. he asked me also and i told him "I have a few things done" then the light turned green with neither of us ready so we rolled of the line and did a 1st gr punch. It is very cold out hear and we both spun BAD but even while spining he still pulled about a bumper on me in 1st then when second gear came, i got a little sidways but stayed in it. He hooked first and pulled his lead to half a car. I finaly cought traction in third but by now he was almost a full car out on me and barley inching away. so i shut it down.

Rx7---1
SS----1

We then went our seperate ways. It was a very clean car, and sounded good too. All in all it was pretty fun.

Oh yea I was riding solo and he had a female passenger.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

what have u done 2 ur RX7?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:20 AM
Teching In

oops...
sorry i forrgot to post my mods.

Intake
exhaust
light flywheel
street/strip clutch
short shifter
smic
upgraded ECU
these runs were on 13.5 psi
stock pea shooters
average driver
Old 12-16-2005, 12:57 AM
Launching!

what yr RX7
Old 12-16-2005, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BPLS1
what yr RX7
It's a 93
Old 12-16-2005, 01:27 AM
Board Certified Idiot

Your rx7 come factory with the TT in it ??. Cause the factory output was 10Psi..with No boost gauge.They put down at the (FLY) Around 255. 3 more Psi is not doing much..for you with your other MOds i dont see how u Gained a fender on him.. he should have pulled you EZ at higer speeds.. But they are nice cars if they are well MAINTAINED.. Nice Race BTW
Old 12-16-2005, 01:45 AM
Teching In

you are correct about the factory TT, 10 psi stock boost, and 255 at the FLY. but the 3psi does in fact help my car quite a bit(with the other mods of course)
with my current setup i should be just over 300 to the wheels. i hope to hit 330 but I don't think i'm there yet. BTW my car weighs in at 2800lbs.

I have NEVER lost to a stock LS1 weather it was in a vette or f-body. And I have never been "easily" pulled by a "lightly" modded one either. but then again, i've only raced a handfull.
I've had my a$$ handed to me by a cammed Z28 though.

I like being the underdog though. I'm sure the guy i raced today thought he would pull me easily also lol.
Thanx for the props!
Old 12-16-2005, 01:48 AM
12 Second Club

good races
Old 12-16-2005, 05:08 AM
Staging Lane

the race sounds very believeable. it only takes a couple boltons to be ls1 territory or faster. fd's are awesome cars, good races.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

The fd3 weighs around 2800 pounds, when a ls1 with all options weighs 3800 pounds. plus a passenger.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:53 AM
Board Certified Idiot

i am not saying he did not win.. just saying hard to belive his Car witt mods i would assume is putting down at the wheels 280 .his car puts down 230ish stock.. i rember my lt1 wiht only minor bolt ons was able to take a rx7. so i see no reason why a ls1 cant.. but a win is a win none the less
Old 12-16-2005, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ProjectD
I was driving down a road with mild traffic in the middle of 3 lanes and i noticed a red w/black top SS up ahead in the fast lane. I caught up to get a better view and noticed it had an exhaust.

As I passed by I saw the driver leaning foward to look at my car. At the moment there were cars in front of both of us so we couldn't run 'em yet. but je stomped on the gas for a second and hit the brakes.
looks like he wants to play. I do the same to let him know i'm game. So we drive for a few more minutes until we could get in front of the two cars in front of us.

We finaly got to line up from about 40. I took the hit and he imediatley followed suite. I was able to pull close to half a car (more like a fender). and held it through 3rd with him not gaining and me not pulling any more. we stopped at about 90 or so.

Rx7---1
SS----0

we then slowed back to the speed limit and exchanged and then caught a light. I rolled down my window and asked him if he was stock (other than the obvious exhaust) but i couldn't tell what he said. he asked me also and i told him "I have a few things done" then the light turned green with neither of us ready so we rolled of the line and did a 1st gr punch. It is very cold out hear and we both spun BAD but even while spining he still pulled about a bumper on me in 1st then when second gear came, i got a little sidways but stayed in it. He hooked first and pulled his lead to half a car. I finaly cought traction in third but by now he was almost a full car out on me and barley inching away. so i shut it down.

Rx7---1
SS----1

We then went our seperate ways. It was a very clean car, and sounded good too. All in all it was pretty fun.

Oh yea I was riding solo and he had a female passenger.
Sounds like to me an even race. If you gunned it first and he folllowed with neither one pulling. I call that an even race. Because if he went first and you following you wouldn't of passed him either, does that mean he wins?

Good race by the way.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Here is my full list of mods:
Stock Motor and twins
Intake, DP, MP, CB, PFS SMIC, Profec B Spec II, PFC w/com. <--Tuned by Steve Kan ACT S/S clutch, SR Motorsports LW FW, Fluidyne, Greddy pulley kit(no airpump) H&R springs, Defi Boost and EGT gauge, turbjeff battery tray, aluminum AST.

A few people with less mods than mine have cracked 300 to the wheels. but those with mine are easily doing it. I really need to get on the dyno so I won't have to guesstimate my power.

And out of curiosity what does a typical lt1 w/boltons run in the 1/4? Because unless they are well modded I usually don't even bother trying to race them.

I've run a best of 13.1 at the track, and I consistantly trap 109. This is on crappy street tires spinning and getting wheelhop through 1st and 2nd gear. I'm only a tire change away from 12s. I doubt that is very impressive for a highly modded ls1 but I think that is a very equal run for a stock to lightly modded one no?

Wickedwarlock,
If he did take the hit and i followed i doubt i could have reeled him in and deffinatley would call that a win for him. If you go and the other car follows that's a race, granted it's not a heads up race. But then again this was on the street not the track.

thanx again for the props guys.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Nice kill and death. I have much repect for FD's having tangled with a few in my Cobra. Of course, these were well modified and up over 400 RWHP cars, very quick but they still had a narrow powerband, which cost them.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Stock Motor and twins
Intake, DP, MP, CB, PFS SMIC, Profec B Spec II, PFC w/com. <--Tuned by Steve Kan ACT S/S clutch, SR Motorsports LW FW, Fluidyne, Greddy pulley kit(no airpump) H&R springs, Defi Boost and EGT gauge, turbjeff battery tray, aluminum AST.

A few people with less mods than mine have cracked 300 to the wheels. but those with mine are easily doing it. I really need to get on the dyno so I won't have to guesstimate my power.

And out of curiosity what does a typical lt1 w/boltons run in the 1/4? Because unless they are well modded I usually don't even bother trying to race them.

I've run a best of 13.1 at the track, and I consistantly trap 109. This is on crappy street tires spinning and getting wheelhop through 1st and 2nd gear. I'm only a tire change away from 12s. I doubt that is very impressive for a highly modded ls1 but I think that is a very equal run for a stock to lightly modded one no?

Wickedwarlock,
If he did take the hit and i followed i doubt i could have reeled him in and deffinatley would call that a win for him. If you go and the other car follows that's a race, granted it's not a heads up race. But then again this was on the street not the track.

you'd give a good run to stock fbody with LS1 or one with lid and exhaust Anything above that would probably take you
Old 12-16-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice kills. Yea at 300 whp and 2800 pounds that would def be in the same territory as a 3400 pound SS with exhaust and a passanger. If it was a full exhaust SS he would probably be trapping around 106-109mph, and with you trapping 109 Mph and the weight advanatge its a no brainer. I am a fan of the rx-7's real nice looking cars, and the twin turbos help too haha. Hate the rx-8's though, should have kept the twins!
Old 12-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra03
Nice kill and death. I have much repect for FD's having tangled with a few in my Cobra. Of course, these were well modified and up over 400 RWHP cars, very quick but they still had a narrow powerband, which cost them.
Yea i got a view buddies that are over 400 and they get to play with the modded terminaters. I'm left in the dust when they go at it. I'd like to run a stock or extremely lightly modded one(non-pullied) just to see what I can do.

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
you'd give a good run to stock fbody with LS1 or one with lid and exhaust Anything above that would probably take you
That is probaly true but i hope that changes when I finaly upgrade my fuel system so i can up the boost Untill then i guess i will just pick on stockers lol

98Z28MASS

I agree about the rx8s, even though they handle well, those cars or just don't go.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Stock Motor and twins

Wickedwarlock,

Nice kill and death! We would be a close race. Where are you located?
Old 12-16-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z2K_MrJ
i am not saying he did not win.. just saying hard to belive his Car witt mods i would assume is putting down at the wheels 280 .his car puts down 230ish stock.. i rember my lt1 wiht only minor bolt ons was able to take a rx7. so i see no reason why a ls1 cant.. but a win is a win none the less
a turbo car...specially a rotary one with a turbo back exhaust does a huge amount for it.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by grey03mach1
Nice kill and death! We would be a close race. Where are you located?
I'm in the Tulsa OK area. let me know if you are local.