Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Street Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Racing

I'm talking for $ or even just for fun/reputation. Living in the country and only having seen dumb movies, I don't know much about it. It's obviously illegal and dangerous, and it seems it would be fun if done somewhat responsibly (closed roads, no traffic, etc)

obviously the track is the best place to go. regulated, legal, medical assistance nearby, etc. but lets face it, stoplight to stoplight and rolling up on random people is just plain fun and how/why performance cars and modifying got started.

Is there much money being made by the top guys? Anybody know anything about it or have any stories to tell?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will let you know this... Myself and many other people could pay for college with the money you make. I never condone it. Everyone should know the risks and try to take it to the track. Please be smart. You end up dead if you go about it in the wrong way... I.E. Morons driving stupid in traffic, who crash and take lives.....

just my take.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

responsibility and safety is always important, yes. like i said, if i were to ever participate, it wouldnt be around any traffic. preferably a stretch of freeway late at night or something of the sort

with that being said, there's really that much money being made? news to me

do people bet at the track as well? not so much as on the street? please discuss
Old 12-16-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jeremys
responsibility and safety is always important, yes. like i said, if i were to ever participate, it wouldnt be around any traffic. preferably a stretch of freeway late at night or something of the sort

with that being said, there's really that much money being made? news to me

do people bet at the track as well? not so much as on the street? please discuss

betting is still huge at the track as well. I have participated in races and watch for money runs from 1,000 to 5,000+++ for a single race. High rollers bet large down here. Gets crazy but definately fun. I have made quite a bit of money on street races... It is enough money made
Old 12-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Dont listen to Gray, he's just watched Fast & Furious too many times.

Seriously, there is money to be made, but dont underestimate your competition. Depending on your region, you have to have a VERY fast car to make good money. Your barely modified cars aren't going to be shooting off at the mouth and betting big. Thats chump change racing for the fun and the sport of it. The fast cars are the high rollers and where the big payouts are, but you better go big or go home because those boys dont play.

Personally, its not my thing. Even just little fun runs on the street I've never bet any money on a race. I just do it for the fun every once in a blue moon. I dont have the money to do it regularly or in an organized fashion, and I also dont care to face the consequences if caught.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:44 PM
Tech Resident

Around here all the races are for less than $100, mostly just for fun. I think a lot of it depends on where you are and what groups you know.

P.S. Dont get caught, or dead... dead is bad.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Just go to the track and hustle people you know you can beat
Old 12-16-2005, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Big money racing is alive and well in Houston, I've seen a 5k per car race before.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

def. i have made over a paychecks worth in one night of racing LOL... i love/miss houston

but alas, i must go to school and party in austin LOL
Old 12-16-2005, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

A lot of it has to do with your location. Houston is a hot bed for it and is Chicago. Here in AZ I have seen a few big money races but most are for a few hundred. Like someone has said already the big money is made with crazy fast street cars, basically the people who can afford to lose 5K becasue they have spent a ton on there car already. Once you get to know the big dogs you will see how it is actually done and the places they go will usually be the best and safest (cop wise).
Old 12-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Dont listen to Gray, he's just watched Fast & Furious too many times.

Seriously, there is money to be made, but dont underestimate your competition. Depending on your region, you have to have a VERY fast car to make good money. Your barely modified cars aren't going to be shooting off at the mouth and betting big. Thats chump change racing for the fun and the sport of it. The fast cars are the high rollers and where the big payouts are, but you better go big or go home because those boys dont play.

Personally, its not my thing. Even just little fun runs on the street I've never bet any money on a race. I just do it for the fun every once in a blue moon. I dont have the money to do it regularly or in an organized fashion, and I also dont care to face the consequences if caught.
yeah i sold my mustang a couple weeks ago. looking for a new car

this sounds like a fun way to make mod money
Old 12-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jeremys
yeah i sold my mustang a couple weeks ago. looking for a new car

this sounds like a fun way to make mod money
or lose it

I got caught street racing and it is now just not worth it. I still look back and it was fun and I would seriously give it a thought if someone revs on me at a light, but getting ASE certified and getting a job at a local dealership(they like clean driving records) is a smarter route to take. I just hope I never get too cocky/stupid and take the bait. Some people you just gotta shut up, but the risks are too high.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i wouldnt do it until i had a damn fast car that i knew was capable of winning against some of the best
Old 12-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Launching!

It's not even that, it's getting caught.

I dunno where you live but in VA if they really want to they can take your car on the scene.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Street racing? Never heard of it.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time I street race is if I I roll up next to somebody, and it's usually just a quick punch. I never take part in organized racing... I do love the track though.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

not realya street racer but the races I did have on the street were not 1/4 mile runs, they were an still are long big mile races, most noteable being a 32 mile course I have set up here localy. It takes about 20 to 25 minutes to cover depending on the car and the biggest bet racing this course was 8 bucks, dinner at local 24 hour resturant. Nothing like racin the back roads at 100+ for an 8 dollar dinner, but the bragin right for them roads is worth more than cash, even the local cops think so!

ya wanna race the course is still open! for challengers!
if ya got what it takes for 150 + blind intersection stop signs and big hills!
Old 12-17-2005, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

Why is it that when Motorcycles take off like a bat out off hell from a stoplight, cops look the other way, but when cars do the same thing, they are pulled over and sited for reckless driving or Expedition of speed???????

I like short bursts runs up to the speed limit like everyone else, but cops would pull my *** over in a heart beat, but Motorcycles do it all the time and it's O.K (in front of PD no less)....

Enlighten me....
Old 12-17-2005, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was busted about 4 months back but since im from a small town and county the cop asked "well...who won?" and then said get home or he'd have to start writing tickets and thats a lot of paperwork for him at midnight. i was lucky. they never caught us in the act, but they caught us lined up.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jake b.(killer quad)
not realya street racer but the races I did have on the street were not 1/4 mile runs, they were an still are long big mile races, most noteable being a 32 mile course I have set up here localy. It takes about 20 to 25 minutes to cover depending on the car and the biggest bet racing this course was 8 bucks, dinner at local 24 hour resturant. Nothing like racin the back roads at 100+ for an 8 dollar dinner, but the bragin right for them roads is worth more than cash, even the local cops think so!

ya wanna race the course is still open! for challengers!
if ya got what it takes for 150 + blind intersection stop signs and big hills!

youve got to be kidding.