Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My S10 vs brothers 05 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My S10 vs brothers 05 GTO

Well it finally happened and my truck wasnt running its best. I foolishly had my timing set at 8 initial and 30 total. Anyway, heres what happened

We both left the gym at the same time and he had 2 passengers so I feel my chances are a little better. We hit the first light after leaving the gym. I am stalling my truck up and my tires begin to break loose so I back off a bit. The light goes green and my truck bogs and sounds like it cuts off. He is still beside me(bad traction loss) so i stay in it and my truck wakes up and goes. I shift at 6k and he is still right beside me. Rev 2nd up to 5800ish and bang into 3rd. He is still right beside me and not pulling. I creep inches every time he shifts but its pretty much dead even. Race ends shortly after the shift into 3rd for me.

After the race my truck seems to be cutting out with part throttle so I pull over thinking I might be out of gas. I wasnt but I filled the tank anyway. I opened my hood and saw my clear fuel filter was empty. Could this be a bad fuel pump? Anyway...long story short...my truck was running sub par and ran side by side with him. With him missing the passengers and me running good it would probably still be even.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Doesn't sound like your truck is slow to me .
Old 12-28-2005, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. I guess its not really slow but not nearly as fast as I would like. Everyone is that way once they get used to their ride. I will be racing him again tomorrow with my timing set at 14 initial and 34 total to see if that makes a difference.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:31 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Very Nice.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Well it is clear there is driver error on my brothers part from this race. I bogged for 1/2 to a full second and he was still beside me spinning. I confirmed this when I raced him last night and I was in my dodge. I threw it in 4hi and stalled it. We raced from a light 2 times. First time he wasnt ready and was in the process of messing with the traction control and I took him up to 55...then he passed me. Second run he was ready and set...light goes green and I pull him up to 45 and then he passes me.

Update on my s10...the timing must have done the trick. It doesnt bog as long as I dont stall it and just give it half throttle then roll into it. Peels a bit but its controllable. He left the gym early so I couldnt race him. Until next time. Later
Old 12-29-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

How much power is the S10 putting down..............the 05 GTO's are no chumps, nice kill anyways..
Old 12-29-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joewee350
Thanks. I guess its not really slow but not nearly as fast as I would like. Everyone is that way once they get used to their ride.

Yeah I know what ya mean there .
Old 12-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My crown vic USED TO BE fast, then my LT1 used to be fast, now my 5.0 is still kinda fast but its getting slower Anywho, sounds like if I ever see your S10 it will be a pretty good run, I would say drivers race, good kill on the GTO. I'm still trying to track down my 1qt per 1500 mile oil loss. I am pretty sure it is leaking SOMEWHERE b/c when I stand behind it I dont see any smoke when its revved and none on cranking in the morning. Dont mean to steal a thread, but any ideas? BTW, I have seen a C6 Z06 in S'port...looked MEAN!
Old 12-30-2005, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Saw a yellow C6 ZO6 a couple of days ago but chickened out of going and getting killed by him. I have no idea how much HP my truck has. It seems like something goes wrong with it every other weak. I solved my stalling problem and now I can get it to launch with mild peel. We will try to run again soon. Stranger88 I too am having a leaking problem and will track it down shortly. I dont know where you could look though. Good luck. Later
Old 12-30-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice truck, that would probably be a good race then if it was runnin right