Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99 TA vs. Procharged GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 TA vs. Procharged GT

Well, got a phone call tonight, and met up with some guys who were hanging around town....One had a 96 GT with bolt ons ant the other has a 2002 (I believe) GT with a FULL Saleen body kit (he passed it off as a Saleen at first lol), bolt ons, and a Procharger...

So, he wanted to run em, and I was all for it...I didn't mention some of this stuff to him, when we stopped to talk, after the race...But my buddy was riding with me, and laughing at my driving

Well, first race, we caught a redlight in the middle of nowhere, and went off it....Never guess what I did...I LEFT THE TRACTION CONTROL ON ...Well, he spun real bad...I actually reached down midway through first gear, hit the button to turn off the TCS, then hit 2nd lol...Still put a good couple lengths on him, before a bad 3rd gear shift, and I let out...Something happened with my 3rd gear, not sure what, but its not the first time...ITs like the car doesn't wanna go into gear and just jerks HARD and almost feels like its stuck between gears, and locks up the tires....Didn't like that at all lol

So, on the 2nd race, he wanted to go from a roll...We went from a 40 roll, and I took the jump....My shifts were SLOOOOWWWW after what happened, so as to MAKE SURE it was in gear good ( I need to make some adjustments lol)...Either way, I still managed to put a 1.5-2 on him by about 100...

3rd race, we went from about a 50 roll, and he took the hit....My shifts were slow again, but I basically just pulled past the guy, and managed to put about a car on him by around 110....

Not bad races, and I expected him to pull me on top end...So I was pleased with the results...And they were cool about everything...Would be willing to do it again when he gets his new pulley

-Will
Old 02-23-2006, 02:35 AM
On The Tree

Good kill
How far are you from Alexandria,LA?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:13 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hah, you live in Alexandria?
<Shreveport
Old 02-23-2006, 05:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Hah, you live in Alexandria?
<Shreveport
Cool! I ran my best N/A time at Red River. That track hooks pretty well.
We should set up a few runs.

Last edited by grey03mach1; 02-23-2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:05 AM

Sounds like a good race. If you need to shift better then that's just incentive to keep driving the car and practicing
Old 02-23-2006, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

greymach,

Thanks....I'm honestly not sure how far I am. Do you know where Hub City Dragway is, in Mississippi? I'm about 5 minutes from it lol...I've raced a couple guys from Louisiana, back in the day, nice guys and fast cars ...My car is gonna be down for a lil while (installing a rear end and some fuel parts, then gettin a tune)....But when I'm done with that, I'd be all for driving over one weekend, I love to race!!!...

ScreaminRedZ,

Thanks, I'm REALLY hoping that adjusting my bumpstops will help the shifting issues though lol..

-Will
Old 02-23-2006, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TARZAN
greymach,

Thanks....I'm honestly not sure how far I am. Do you know where Hub City Dragway is, in Mississippi? I'm about 5 minutes from it lol...I've raced a couple guys from Louisiana, back in the day, nice guys and fast cars ...My car is gonna be down for a lil while (installing a rear end and some fuel parts, then gettin a tune)....But when I'm done with that, I'd be all for driving over one weekend, I love to race!!!...

ScreaminRedZ,

Thanks, I'm REALLY hoping that adjusting my bumpstops will help the shifting issues though lol..

-Will
I'm starting to have withdrawals. I need the weather to clear up this weekend so I can finally get some numbers on the gas.
Hit me up when your car's ready to run. We can meet up and run'em a few times for ***** and giggles. Maybe make a vid. for these guys.
Later,
Matt
Old 02-23-2006, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Nice kill, what kinda #s you put down and do you know what the GT has???? Just curious...
Old 02-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not at all calling anyone out (will prolly lose to the Mach), but I would not be opposed to a few runs after i get my carb installed, EFI on my car is running like ***
Old 02-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Launching!

I run a CFDF clutch myself. It is really really sensitive to the step height of the flywheel. Did you have the flywheel resurfaced when you put in the clutch components? How long have you had the CFDF?
Sometimes they just dont put up with much abuse. Mine has lasted very well, but I dont have near the power you do.
The thing was grabby as all get out for while untill it settled in. And I do have to keep it adjusted or it will get symptoms like what you described. Maybe its just a clutch hydraulics issue and not a tranny issue. Although it does sound like a fried synchro.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

mach,

Sounds like a plan to me...I'll let ya know

JoeGT,

No #'s outta my car, its still untuned...His car is a 99+ GT (I think 2002) with a Procharger, 8 lb. pulley, exhaust, bolt ons..5-speed car

Stanger,

Its all in good fun...we'll all have to meet up sometime!

Sparetire,

I've got the new 12" that CF just started producing. Also got a CF Billet Steel flywheel, all purchased new and installed about 2 months ago....Supposed to hold better....but yeah, its probably a synchro ....I'll run it till it breaks lol

-Will
Old 02-23-2006, 05:21 PM

With your mods you should have rapped him.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:21 PM

What gears do you have?
Old 02-24-2006, 12:59 AM
11 Second Club

stock 3.42's

-Will
Old 02-24-2006, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by davered00ss
What gears do you have?
I wouldn't go there since he is UNTUNED. A GT with 8# of boost bolt-ons and a 5 spd can easly dyno over 400rwhp and weighs less. Rape is outta the question !
Old 02-24-2006, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Not at all calling anyone out (will prolly lose to the Mach), but I would not be opposed to a few runs after i get my carb installed, EFI on my car is running like ***
Don't cut yourself short. Sounds like a hustle to me. j/k We plan on running over at Twin City Dragway on Sunday for TNT. Track isn't the best but at least I can finally my a pass on the gas.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same exact problem with the 3rd gear. I will ram it in there and it will wiggle and pop out and sound like I blew my **** up. I've had it happen like 4 times. 2 times at the track, never got a clean run in it. I have bought a new shifter and going to change fluid and got reloc brackets w/ LCA's because the car is lowered (installing all this Sunday hopefully). May just be the Transmission. Now everyone thinks I suck at driving but whatever lol.

Good runs!
Old 02-24-2006, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zentenk
I have the same exact problem with the 3rd gear. I will ram it in there and it will wiggle and pop out and sound like I blew my **** up. I've had it happen like 4 times. 2 times at the track, never got a clean run in it. I have bought a new shifter and going to change fluid and got reloc brackets w/ LCA's because the car is lowered (installing all this Sunday hopefully). May just be the Transmission. Now everyone thinks I suck at driving but whatever lol.

Good runs!

same thing here....let me know what you figure out...

-Will