Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Pounced on a Camaro w/4.10s and 4000 stall

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pounced on a Camaro w/4.10s and 4000 stall

Got next to a guy last night in my C6, It was a white camaro with Loud exhaust, and ran from about a 30 roll, put several car lengths on him by 100, then ran from a dig, and got about 4 lengths on him by 100, stopped at the next light, he said he had 4.10 gears, and a 4000 stall, and ran 11.9 at the track, ran again from the dig, and whupped him again. Mine only ran 12.2 but I pulled this guy hard. Wish I had some slicks to launch this thing at the track to see some 11's. Fun race though and cool guy with a nice sounding car.

Daren
Old 03-07-2006, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Well it seems he was lying about running an 11.9 then. I guess knowing his trap speed would help out a little. I would say he was fudging about running an 11.9. Nice kills.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Nice Kill

Love the new C6 and Z06 (just not practical with a wife and kids and the TA works good for that) and I am sure DRs will put you in the 11s.

Jack
Old 03-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Launching!

He said his MPH was 117, but I highly doubt that too!

Daren
Old 03-07-2006, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

i could see him being an 11 second car if he launched the hell out of it and 60 ft'd his way there, but trapping 117 and getting pulled like that by a 115 mph car.. I'd have to venture this guy was closer to stock than he let on.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Considering that his car was an automatic, I'm not surprised that you took him. Autos are good for consistancy, not power or acceleration compared to a 6-speed manual, especially on the street. The 4,000RPM stall converter is good for the launch, but after that its nothing but a handicap.

Nice races
Old 03-07-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Considering that his car was an automatic, I'm not surprised that you took him. Autos are good for consistancy, not power or acceleration compared to a 6-speed manual, especially on the street. The 4,000RPM stall converter is good for the launch, but after that its nothing but a handicap.

Nice races
Man o man, did you just open a can of worm's....
Old 03-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Nice races

You're and idiot. I'll just leave it at that.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess the fact that automatics being bad for acceleration and all is why they are so popular in strip only cars, I mean, who gives a **** about acceleration when drag racing, right? Maybe thats why the fastest times in the archives are so slow, they used automatic transmissions to get there, WONDER WHAT IT COULD DO WITH A MANUAL!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chadder
You're and idiot. I'll just leave it at that.
Sure, don't explain yourself, don't offer any reasoning, just call me names.

Come back when you graduate middle school
Old 03-07-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dannyz
Man o man, did you just open a can of worm's....

Only 84 posts and so wise...

LOL
Old 03-07-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Sure, don't explain yourself, don't offer any reasoning, just call me names.

Come back when you graduate middle school
He won't need to explain, do some research.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Banned

"The rock will fall if you drop it." I OFFER NO EXPLANATION FOR THIS ONE EITHER
Old 03-07-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't see how you could have pulled on him like that from both the roll and dig if he was truly as fast as he claimed, unless he couldn't get traction. Nice Kill With a stall you would think he would be gettting those times from pulling good 60 foot times. So unless he wasn't getting good traction on the street(though you'd think he'd be better set up than you), he was probably off on his times, maybe just guessing. Either way a kill is a kill, and you got him
Old 03-07-2006, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Congrats on your KILL.

Nice track times too.
I would love to run a C6 ,just to see how things would go.

I love my SS ,but if i could make it work i would have either a 03 Cobra or a C6 as my next toy.

Nice races
How did you come up with that ?
I have a car with a 4000 stall and can not say i agree with anything you posted at all. Have you ever rode/drove a car (LS1 ) with a 4000 stall in it?

For example: i run 7's in the 1/8th mile with a stock internal motor with a full weight car. Most of which is due to the automatic and the 4000 stall.

My car rocks even from a 80 mph highway roll. Gotta love a big vertor for instant and steady pull.

But,as usual this is only my opinion.

Dave

Last edited by redsscamaroboy; 03-07-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Nice races

Edit: You're an idiot.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by urbanhunter44

Edit: You're an idiot.
Says the retard pointing his finger.

I suppose thats why they put 6-speed manual transmissions in Vipers, Corvettes, Ferraris, Porsches, and Ford GT's. So they are all slower

I'm going to explain this and I'm only going to explain it once:

First of all, get off my back. I know as well as the next guy that an LS1 with a built 2-speed and slicks, a high stall converter, and low rear gears is going to more than likely be faster than the same car with a 6-speed stick. Its just a matter of going from point A to point B as fast as possible, no need to factor in top speed, efficiency, fuel economy, or driveability.

However, that combo of only 2 speeds and low gears is completely useless on the street. It wouldn't even be driveable. Hence the reason I say a 6-speed manual has the advantage over the automatic. Look at any stock vehicle times. 9/10 times the manual is faster than the automatic. Thats due to better gear ratios, less drivetrain loss, a direct connection to the wheels, and anywhere from 1 to 3 extra speeds to work with. Not saying you can't overcome those things and still be faster than a manual using a shift kit/stall converter, but no matter how you look at it its still going to put down less power and be less efficient than a manual in the same vehicle.

Manuals offer the best combination of power, acceleration, top speed, control, fuel economy, and driveability over any automatic. Case closed.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

I will gladly show you how an automatic can do from a roll.

The reason they have manuals is for more control of engine rpm and speed for road racing.

Dude you really are a newb and you are posting based on your hypothesis not from actual facts and data. You are a magazine racer case closed..

To: 06c6fvr-overall how do you like your C6? I am looking at them more and more everyday now.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
I will gladly show you how an automatic can do from a roll.

The reason they have manuals is for more control of engine rpm and speed for road racing.

Dude you really are a newb and you are posting based on your hypothesis not from actual facts and data. You are a magazine racer case closed..

To: 06c6fvr-overall how do you like your C6? I am looking at them more and more everyday now.
And you obviously don't have a clue about the efficiency of an automatic transmission compared to a manual. Pair any of the cars I listed about with stock automatics, and I guarentee you that each one will be slower. Sure, a built auto with a stall converter and low gears can be fast, but stock for stock, manual is faster. Get a clue, seriously, case closed
Old 03-07-2006, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Line up next to me I'll give you a BIG fucken clue..

LOL you are proving your newb status to me with your remarks, an auto doesn't need a built trans or low rear end gears to go good..

A simple stall is all that's needed. Explain to me, since you know so much why if autos are so inefficient that when I put a 3500 stall on otherwise stock ls1 it will drop 5 tenths in the quarter..

I await your response..

Now, if you care to apologize for wasting my shamefully wasted time, I'll consider accepting it.