Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99 T/A + Spray vs C6 Blown Vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 T/A + Spray vs C6 Blown Vette

Well to start the story I was eating some dinner with my girlfriend and my buddy calls me and says I got this C6 Corvette that wants to run you. So I figured hmmm probably a stock vette with nothing done but haven’t got to race one so I’ll go spank one. So I finish up my dinner and going to meet my friend and the guy with the C6. So I roll in and of course I notice hmm it has a cowl hood on it and looks pretty mean. It was a yellow c6 with a stock appearance with only the hood. So I go and start to talk to him to see what he is working with. I figured he would be all cocky but nope he was a nice fella said he was on break from Iraq for a week and was wanting to get into some action.
So I start talking to him and ask him what kinda mods if any he has. Surprised to find out he said he has a Eaton top mount supercharger? I think that’s what he said. I looked at the motor and it was polished and clean. He said it had been tuned and was just running 5 psi for the moment. The guy said he had most of the basic bolt ons including long tubes, o/r y pipe, catback, intake and a few other mods but was on stock gearing. So I figured this should be a pretty good race. I don’t know how much he was putting down though he didn’t seem to want to say? My mods are in sig + NX 200 Wet shot.
The guy said he wanted to go from a roll on cause he was on street tires and wouldn’t hook up from a dig so I agreed. He said 45 mph so I said sure lets get it. We go out to the country and line em up from a 45 roll and I honk 3 times. I instantly pull him about a car in 2nd gear. I hit 3rd gear and it keeps about even maybe me pulling a half a car or so. Then my favorite gear 4th, I jam 4th and continue the pull and look back and it appears to be about 2 ½ or so cars before I go to 5th. I keep it in 5th for just a sec and then let off. It appears I wasn’t pulling anymore when I shifted. I looked down on the speedo and it was sitting at about 135-140 when I finally let off. I was pretty happy with the results. I figured with the C6 weight difference and his mods we would be pretty even but I pulled him so I can’t complain!
Old 09-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Looks like you would be in the 600rwhp range with the spray. He had a magnacharger, sounds like no cam, maybe headers? Probably putting down upper 400's, maybe low 500's with headers if 6spd at 5psi, and depends big time on if he was running the rich *** tune Maggie sends with it. He should have stayed with you down low, but got killed up top...the Maggies are torque monsters, but run out of breath on the top end.

I'm actually surprised he stayed with you as well as he did given your mods. He may have had a cam too...but mid 500s at best either way. Best maggie #s on stock cubes I've seen is with Tony's (Nineball) car. Most are right around the 500 mark.

Good run!
Old 09-25-2006, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigRon77
Looks like you would be in the 600rwhp range with the spray. He had a magnacharger, sounds like no cam, maybe headers? Probably putting down upper 400's, maybe low 500's with headers if 6spd at 5psi, and depends big time on if he was running the rich *** tune Maggie sends with it. He should have stayed with you down low, but got killed up top...the Maggies are torque monsters, but run out of breath on the top end.

I'm actually surprised he stayed with you as well as he did given your mods. He may have had a cam too...but mid 500s at best either way. Best maggie #s on stock cubes I've seen is with Tony's (Nineball) car. Most are right around the 500 mark.

Good run!
I haven’t had mine dynode but yes, I would expect around the 600 wrhp range my jetting is a little rich so probably around 575 rwhp or so. I like to be safe. I think he said an Eaton but maybe I was wrong… it was a polished roots style supercharger looked similar to 03/04 cobra chargers. But I’m not exact. Yes the car was a 6 speed and he said it was custom tuned from what he said. He said yup 5 psi pulley so it was running safe he said. I would like to run it with a 10lb pulley on it and compare the difference, it should be a GOOD run.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Badass race and awesome kill. Know I'd be dead years ago with a car that made around 600 hp.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice kill

Maggies/Magncharger don't make superchargers they sell kit using the Eaton Roots blower. I think the latest one is the M112R or somthing. A bit like Kennebell, they sell kits but they don't make the blowers they use twin screw units from Autorotor in Sweden.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BeavermanA
Badass race and awesome kill. Know I'd be dead years ago with a car that made around 600 hp.
Thanks! I do now what your saying… it’s definitely hard to keep the car going in a straight line especially from any kind of stop or a low roll. Nittos don’t hold this thing straight. It will start kicking sideways still at round 70-80 mph sometimes just matters how good the road I’m on is.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by boostedrs
I haven’t had mine dynode but yes, I would expect around the 600 wrhp range my jetting is a little rich so probably around 575 rwhp or so. I like to be safe. I think he said an Eaton but maybe I was wrong… it was a polished roots style supercharger looked similar to 03/04 cobra chargers. But I’m not exact. Yes the car was a 6 speed and he said it was custom tuned from what he said. He said yup 5 psi pulley so it was running safe he said. I would like to run it with a 10lb pulley on it and compare the difference, it should be a GOOD run.
The Maggie is an Eaton SC. They have the 112 and just developed the 122, but it's not available yet. Maggie sends a tune with it that is terribly rich, so if he had it dyno tuned, then he was probably putting down low 500s with just headers (assuming that's all he had). I've seen auto numbers as low as 470s and stick numbers as high as 550s (with cam and headers around 6-7psi). If he can go smaller pulley and get to 8psi or so (10 is aggressive), it should be a good run.

Sounds like a pretty good race though!