Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a WRX and SRT NEON and got Killed

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raced a WRX and SRT NEON and got Killed

Well I was crusing down one of the main drags by my house and saw a blue wrx fly up behind me and he reved when he pulled up beside me and his turbo DID NOT SOUND STOCK, was real loud and had a whistle sound to it. He asked if I wanted to do a roll and I said sure why not so we go on three honks and he instantly gets the jump cause he's a stick and once I get to hook up I start pullin on him by like a car. He then tells me he wants to race on the freeway with his buddy in a srt 4 neon that was following. We all light up on the freeway doing about 65 had all 3 lanes tookin up and on 3 everyone took off and I was about a car back up to about 130. The wrx sits back this time while I raced the neon and on 3 again I jump out about have a car but once the neon shifted into 4 he got a 1 car jump and was gradually pulliln. Kind of surprised the hell out of me how quick they were. The wrx told me he had bov, boost controller, intake, exhaust, etc, and the neon never said what he had but from the look of his interecooler, his car defferently had something his turbo was loud enough to ring my ears with my windows down. Seemed that my ls1 could pull them on the bottom like around 15-50 but after that it was there race.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Thats odd... usually its the other way around. Just get full exhaust and that'll take care of it.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The wrx wasn't an STI? Without a frontmount those wrx's aren't that fast, easiest way to pick out the quicker ones. When they swap the turbo they almost always switch to the fmic. If he only had those mods then you shoulda taken him. The SRT-4 prolly had the same mods that the wrx said he had. Get some headers and a stall and it'll be different next time you see them.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

yeah it was an sti, I think they had more then what they were sayin you just had to see and hear them. They probably think there badasses runnin around town followin each other in there turbo charged cars. I give them credit for beatin me tho fair race. Dead stop 1/8th mile race it would of been really close I think I would of tookin the wrx
Old 09-25-2006, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry to say it but from a dead stop you would have been screwed. If you can't get them from a roll on then AWD is going to OWN YOU.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
The wrx wasn't an STI? Without a frontmount those wrx's aren't that fast, easiest way to pick out the quicker ones. When they swap the turbo they almost always switch to the fmic. If he only had those mods then you shoulda taken him. The SRT-4 prolly had the same mods that the wrx said he had. Get some headers and a stall and it'll be different next time you see them.

Yea I never did understand the point of the top-mount intercooler on the STI...helped my buddy swap his to a front mount after he did a turbo upgrade and could never see why the top mount would be effective? Any idea?
Old 09-25-2006, 12:23 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Yea I never did understand the point of the top-mount intercooler on the STI...helped my buddy swap his to a front mount after he did a turbo upgrade and could never see why the top mount would be effective? Any idea?
Could be related to rally history. Top of hood = clean intercooler. Front mount = intercooler quickly covered with junk.

Even on stock turbo and top mount, regular (non STi) WRX's can hang with a stock LS1. Tuning and the correct selection of bolt-ons goes a long way.

People using BOV's on WRXs represent the two extremes; either they don't know what they're doing or they have access to substantial tuning.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 09-25-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are an auto then you need a Stall. Full Exhaust too. I just murdered a modded Srt4 the other night. An STI or SRT 4's are the least of my worries.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Could be related to rally history. Top of hood = clean intercooler. Front mount = intercooler quickly covered with junk.
Except that all of the WRC STIs (even the Group N ones, I believe) have BIG front mounts. I dunno the answer as to why the street ones are this way. Maybe packaging?? Trying to avoid damage in accidents?? Not blocking stock radiator/aircon condenser?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Sorry to say it but from a dead stop you would have been screwed. If you can't get them from a roll on then AWD is going to OWN YOU.
My first race with the wrx was pretty much from a dead stop we were going about 5 mph and since I have drag radials it helped me out alot, if I had street tires the wrx would of probably put about 3 cars on me instantly. I still spun for a second but immediately when I got full traction I put a car on him. Turbos are notorious for roll ons thats why if I race them for now on its gonna have to be from a dig.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea but if you were going from a dig all the sti would have to do is launch the bitch at 5k and he would instantly pull you. ive had it done to me. and also, what else do you have done to make your 315 nittos lose traction? i put down around 360/370 hp and i cant get my nittos to spin at all and im a m6 too.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DomesticLS1
They probably think there badasses runnin around town followin each other in there turbo charged cars.
Who doesnt.... Anyone that usually travels in groups think they are a super group of fast cars... From what i have seen lately around my area its camaros/mustangs... I believe around here ppl leave pontiacs to them selves.. even tho the bird and camaros are the same thing i never see a bird roll up with a group of camaros..
Old 09-25-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

don't STi's put down close to an 8 sec 1/8 mi? that's really fast, even against a DR'd F-body.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LastLT1
what else do you have done to make your 315 nittos lose traction? i put down around 360/370 hp and i cant get my nittos to spin at all and im a m6 too.
Honestly that is all have done. Maybe its the 28 pounds in each tire? Ever since I put my poly tranny mount in, If I stomp it from a dead stop or even a 5mph, I can get them to break lose for maybe a couple seconds max. They still have about 75 percent life left so maybe there not fully broken in??? But there is some asphaults out there that I can not spin at all on. All concrete is different even all asphaults all different some roads are just slicker then others.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:30 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

From what I remember, cold Nittos do lose grip and will spin on higher hp cars- they need to be warmed up. BFG DRs are sticky all the time and their soft sidewalls help keep traction on a launch.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS

Even on stock turbo and top mount, regular (non STi) WRX's can hang with a stock LS1. Tuning and the correct selection of bolt-ons goes a long way.

People using BOV's on WRXs represent the two extremes; either they don't know what they're doing or they have access to substantial tuning.
Not in my experiences...of which I have had plenty. Including multiple set races with STIs.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:10 AM
Teching In

say what you will but my lightly modded TMIC equipped Subaru Forester XT traps in the 105-107 range.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:01 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wvutransam
Not in my experiences...of which I have had plenty. Including multiple set races with STIs.
That's interesting, as 103mph trap isn't gonna hold off much (that is the higher strata of usual stock turbo WRX capability with TMIC and supporting exhaust mods, but definately in stock STi territory). Real experiences trump numbers however, so nice kills.

Edit: Just went back and read your mod list.... those bolt-ons pushed you out of reach, as you've described.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Launching!

The top mount sucks for WRXs. I think they did it for ease of packaging and crash requirements. Remember that the US has that 5mph under a certain amount of damage reg. If you have a front mount, its hard to pass that reg. I know the early US EVOs have a lot more weight right where you dont wnt it up front to pass that reg compared to Japanese models.

From some reading I did on NASIOC awhile back, going from a TMIC to a FMIC can get pretty costly too, which sucks.

Honorable death, and personally I dont think its wise to count out a DRed car against an AWD automaticly. Honestly when you look at 60 times on even a crappy track you see DRed autos hitting similar times as a street tired AWD. On a normal road with some dust and not much rubber stuck to it, it will be more in favor of the AWD, but not insurmoutably so provided you get some more power.

Rematch!
Old 09-26-2006, 09:22 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

^
Good point about a well prepped RWD setup with tire and suspension to hook. It's a wash if the talent is there to back up the setup.