Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Lost to a 5.0 with unknown Mods :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lost to a 5.0 with unknown Mods :(

Was at the gf's house tonight like I am every night thanks to these wonderful night classes. I usually leave around 11pm so I can go home and catch some ZZZs. it was in the low 70s tonight.

So I get to the end of her road and before turning on the highway I take a few moments to change my CD. I notice a pair of cars coming up so I got on it a little to accelerate onto the highway.

I'm cruising a nice 60mph (limit 55) and I see one of the car cars approaching me in the other lane. I have the window down and was listening to lips of an angel . I hear this distinct rumble, and as I glance in the side view mirror I see what looks like mustang headlights.

After a few moments he's running even with me, and I recognize the car as one of those 79 Mustang GT pace cars. We all know how an exhaust can make even a stock mustang sound bad, so I didnt know what it had done to it. I was surprised I could even hear it because even my exhaust is pretty loud.

I could tell he was ridding in 3rd gear cause he'd let off the gas to stay even with me and the car would instantly slow down. We passed an intersection of the highway still nose to nose, then after I notice all the cars in the other side of the highway (4 lanes divided by grass median) had passed, I throw the car into 3rd gear and give him a little jump. He jumps back and goes WOT, so on go the high beams and the pedal to the metal.

From 60-110mph I had a good 1.5 car lengths on him. I dont know if he didnt expect my car to do that or what, but after about 110 till 13xmph he got his 1.5 cars back and put 1.5 cars on me. We both slowed down after that.

I caught up with him and we rode side by side to the next light.

We both commented each other's cars as we waited for the light to turn green. I could hear his cam loping (sp) somewhat was I waited.

The Light turns green and I roll into the throttle. I had no traction except for the last few hundred rpms of first gear. As he was pulling away from me I noticed his nice big fat rear tires. to about 70mph he put 2.5-3 car lengths on me.

My exit was coming up so I got over and gave him a waive and a honk as he drove by.

Called my friend afterwards as I remember him saying some other guy he knew in town owned a 79 pace car like his, and it was that guy. He wasnt sure on what mods Warren (guy I raced) had, but he said nothing much drivetrain or suspension wise was stock on it.

Good race. Not too shabby for the 165,000 mile grandpa car.
Just a typical bolt on LT1 that runs mid 13s in the hot summer (been to the track twice this year waiting for new driveshaft to go back )

Matt

Last edited by buffman; 10-03-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you had fun racing atleast. I'm sure he had quite a few mods to put 3 cars on you. Time to start modding some more.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

sounds like a fun night, in yer slow buick. haha, J/K Matt. Find out what he has so we can gossip more in here!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Good death. Guessing what older foxbodies have under the hood is like picking the winning lottery #'s. Could of been a 302 to a 460. lol. Either way it's cool that you both had fun! -Mark
Old 10-04-2006, 11:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yeah, foxes are sneaky little guys. They like to boost them up too. But good death!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Good death! Yeah, those foxes are sneaky. There either really slow or really fast.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Didn't the guy act a little surprised that a frickin' Buick Roadmaster was decently keeping up with him?!?
Old 10-04-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Who knows. Last person I surprised with the Roadmaster was a c5 vette back when I was having an electrical problem

I'll have to find the guy (livs in my town) and see what's under the hood.