Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

owned me a cobra tonight

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default owned me a cobra tonight

Blue foxbody mustang with cobra badges. Pulls up next to me and peels out in 2nd gear and has to hit his brakes almost immediatly becof a car 10' in front of him. Couple miles of this and the road opens up. I figured I would lose but damnit I'll give it my best. Stop at a light I switch to the left lane. Light turns green and he spins. I start with no spinning and I'm off I got a good 1/2 car on him switched it to 2nd a little early then the Harlen goes off and I switch to third and I shut it down at 80 with 1 car and because the light ahead turned red. Dude rolled up his windows and pretended not to see me smiling at him.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lmao what a ***
Old 10-07-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I may be incorrect, but I believe the 93 fox Cobra's were only available in Red. He was more than likely badged. Also, I hardly call one length an 'own'.

Then again, he was asking for a losing. Nice win.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What about throwing cats in the microwave for fun and profit?
Old 10-08-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 9silverbird8
What about throwing cats in the microwave for fun and profit?
thats messed up....ha
Old 10-08-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

In a druken stupor make a shirt that says I throw cats in the microwave for fun and profit walk to the nearest bar and walk through a PETA rally. Appear in the bar and find out that the local news channel is reporting on it live and they throw a feed on where you walk by in your shirt and you get beers bought for you when people realize that you just walked through the report and into the bar door. I guess you had to be there.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ponygt65
I may be incorrect, but I believe the 93 fox Cobra's were only available in Red. He was more than likely badged. Also, I hardly call one length an 'own'.

Then again, he was asking for a losing. Nice win.
Didn't they come in Teal and Black?? I believe they did.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

I guess you could put a badge on anything....of course, I also have to kinda disagree with ponygt65. I mean, the guy "pickin' the fight" wouldn't give props when he was beat...heck, evidently the one length was enough for him to appear to feel owned given he rolls up the windows and quits....if he thought he could get him, why not give it another shot?
Old 10-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Launching!

yes they came in teal and black - and a red/ orange color. Maybe some more, but I know they came in those colors. They look rather different, but there are a lot of clones out there - I would imagine it wasn't a real 93 cobra.

and besides everyone and their brother puts cobra badges on a regular mustang.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Didn't they come in Teal and Black?? I believe they did.
i know they definatly came in teal also...
Old 10-08-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

I'm going to ask around I didn't hear a supercharger on it and I'm mustang dumb I don't know if all yearswere f/i or some years were adn some weren't. It had the cobra badging and when I won I figured it was a clone but I was hoping it wasn't as I still have yet to race a real cobra win or lose.

-Nate
Old 10-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Launching!

the fox body cobras were nothign special at all.
barely faster than regular fox's. Only real difference was the 'cobra' intake. just a nice good lookin collectors piece.

no one would be impressed by beating a 93 stock cobra. rated at 235 HP

here ya go.

http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/history_79_93.htm

-nathan
Old 10-08-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93ChevExt5.7
I guess you could put a badge on anything....of course, I also have to kinda disagree with ponygt65. I mean, the guy "pickin' the fight" wouldn't give props when he was beat...heck, evidently the one length was enough for him to appear to feel owned given he rolls up the windows and quits....if he thought he could get him, why not give it another shot?

True...my only point was I don't call one length 'ownage' and why advertise a cobra when you aren't sure if it was or wasn't?

But as whiteknight pointed out...the Cobra's were only rated at 10 more HP.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:55 AM
Teching In

From what I've read the '93 Cobras were underrated from the factory and made around 270 horsepower. I wanted one so bad. At the time I was driving an '86 GT with T-Tops that let water pour in on me anytime it rained. 200HP. Yuck!
Black, Red, and Teal were the colors offered from the factory but aftermarket companies offered body kits to turn foxbodies into Cobra clones.
Fairly collectible with a production run of 4,993 cars. Blue was not a color offered so it probably wasn't a legit Cobra. On the other hand, it could have been making more power! 270's not a hard number to surpass!
Nice kill since the guy's such an *** about losing!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:16 AM
mcG
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redfiresnake
From what I've read the '93 Cobras were underrated from the factory and made around 270 horsepower. I wanted one so bad. At the time I was driving an '86 GT with T-Tops that let water pour in on me anytime it rained. 200HP. Yuck!
Black, Red, and Teal were the colors offered from the factory but aftermarket companies offered body kits to turn foxbodies into Cobra clones.
Fairly collectible with a production run of 4,993 cars. Blue was not a color offered so it probably wasn't a legit Cobra. On the other hand, it could have been making more power! 270's not a hard number to surpass!
Nice kill since the guy's such an *** about losing!
mustangs had t-tops??
Old 10-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Launching!

hehe no 93 cobra was pushing 270 from the factory.... you cas toss that out the window right now.
Granted the 5.0 engine does respond well to being opened up - but you all know that. When you get a 5.0 it can either be pretty damn slow, or pretty damn fast.

and yes some mustangs had t-tops, very limited number, they are fairly rare, if you had a four eye (86) with ttops you shoulda held on to it and restored it. big money.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mcG
mustangs had t-tops??
the mustang two did
Old 10-09-2006, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ponygt65
True...my only point was I don't call one length 'ownage' and why advertise a cobra when you aren't sure if it was or wasn't?

But as whiteknight pointed out...the Cobra's were only rated at 10 more HP.
Fair enough. I don't know that I would brag about one length either, unless I knew he was modded or it was against someone I don't believe I should be able to give any challenge too....kinda like the 6.0ltr GTO from this past Friday night - that guy apparently did not know how to shift. Either that or he needs some work done....lol
Old 10-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight98TA
hehe no 93 cobra was pushing 270 from the factory.... you cas toss that out the window right now.
Granted the 5.0 engine does respond well to being opened up - but you all know that. When you get a 5.0 it can either be pretty damn slow, or pretty damn fast.

and yes some mustangs had t-tops, very limited number, they are fairly rare, if you had a four eye (86) with ttops you shoulda held on to it and restored it. big money.
Personally I don't know if it had 270. Wish I could have ridden in one or even better owned a Teal one with black cloth upholstery.
Here's some of the literature I found in "Mustang 5.0 & 4.6", a book by Matt Stone. Major changes were new lower and upper intake manifold. The heads were revised with intake and exhaust ports being larger along with larger valves. Crane supplied them with revised rocker arms. Throttle body and mass air sensor size were increased. Also a different cam. Also new higher flow fuel pump and fuel injectors and new intake tract. Tranny was beefed up to handle the additional power along with better brakes.
I don't know if that adds up to 270 HP but surely it was more than 10?
I loved the T-tops up until the day I got T-boned on the passenger side and the roof got pushed up a couple of inches. They pulled it back down but of course it was never the same. I think they had the T-Tops on a few hundred '88 Mustang GT's before they deleted the option.

Last edited by Redfiresnake; 10-09-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Launching!

oh man that's rough!Sorry for your loss. There weren't many built like that.

my 89 Supercharged GT got smashed to pieces by some jackass too. Car was sitting in a parking lot and BAM front end all sorts of screwed up.

Well I believe the cobra came with the advertised 235HP,
if you look throughout the history, the 5.0 which was orignally rated at 225HP over the years actually lost HP from the factory, causing it to be re-rated at 205 HP (i believe) due to minor changes throughout the years.

So you figure the cobra had about 30more HP over the regular 5.0. That would sound about right for a upper / lower intake, and slighlty different MAF / TB.

There is a lot of info out there about the differences. Either way the Cobra was sexy and i'd kill to get my hands on a real one.