Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Last run of the IROC

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last run of the IROC

Well this weekend we are going to pull the old tired 305TPI out of the IROC to get ready for the LS1 so I thought I would take it out for one last run. My brother-in-law's came over so I wanted to see how I faired against some newer cars.

1st run was a Mazda 6 (V6/auto/CAI). From the dig I got the jump. Granted I launched the car from 4k cause I'm not worried about breaking anything. I pulled out about 1 car. By 60mph he was already passing me. By 100 he was pretty far ahead of me.

2nd run was a Tiburon GT (V6/Manual/CAI/catback). Again from the dig I launched the car hard and pulled a good 2 cars on him. By 60 he was at my door and by 100 he was at least 3 cars ahead of me if not more.

Sadly the IROC wasn't up to the task. 90% stock and a weak 305ci. Once it's done it will be a new beast.

Well after getting my azz handed to me twice I felt I needed a little revenge for the Chevy so I dropped off the IROC and got the WRX. Well feeling good about the whooping they put on the IROC they thought they would put up a good fight against the WRX.

3rd run was the WRX vs the Mazda. From the dig I launched nicely and put, well at least 4 cars before I shifted into 2nd. By 60mph I was so far a head he shut down.

4th run was the WRX vs Tibby. Again from the dig I put 4 cars before 2nd. By 60mph I was around 6 to 8 cars out (hard to tell in the rear view). By 100mph I could barely see his car. I shut down and he pulled up next to me and gave me the finger with a smile on his face.

Well sorry, I wish I could have told a story about the bow tie winning but it's an old beast and was never really quick to begin with. But once I'm done it will be a different story. I'll make you guys proud of the Chevy. In the end it will be a STS LS1 mated to a 6mt with 4:10 and DR's.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Ah...I love the IROC. Mine had the 305TBI/5-speed combo. You know you can beef up a tpi350 for a few bucks and be pulling stock ls1s right? A much easier and cheaper swap. I did mine in a weekend for about 700 bucks(engine/new flywheel/new cluctch). I never built out my motor to take down the new ls1s but I have helped build 350TPIs that beat down stock ls1s. Good luck with your swap though, Im sure it will be fun. Where do you guys get the money and time to do this cool stuff to your cars?
Old 04-10-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

+1 for IROC love! Mine was slow as hell and got walked by my '02 Durango, but I loved it!
Old 04-10-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I disagree on beefing up the TPI to run with LS1's... I owned a TPI 350 IROC and 90 Firebird Formula. Those engines are not worth modding. Hot Rod Magazine proved it time & time again when they tried like different project cars back in the 90's. I think after thousands of dollars, they might've ended up running mid to high 13's with drag slicks. They are fuel starved, have bad head designs for higher flow, and don't support bigger cams. Pull it and put in an LS1 and never look back.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

I guess its a matter of time and money for some. Perspective for others. If you grew up around the cars I did, you might feel different and vise versa. I think everybody would rather have a ls1 over a l98. Its all about cost per HP.
But getting killed by family cars and suvs while in a IROC is always hillarious.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Dude, post up some pictures when your done.
A good many of us love those 3rd gen F-body's!
Especially the IROC's.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by j_rock
Ah...I love the IROC. Mine had the 305TBI/5-speed combo. You know you can beef up a tpi350 for a few bucks and be pulling stock ls1s right? A much easier and cheaper swap. I did mine in a weekend for about 700 bucks(engine/new flywheel/new cluctch). I never built out my motor to take down the new ls1s but I have helped build 350TPIs that beat down stock ls1s. Good luck with your swap though, Im sure it will be fun. Where do you guys get the money and time to do this cool stuff to your cars?
I doubt I'll get anywhere near my hp goal with a TPI350. I'm shotting for 500rwhp on boost.

As for the money. Well I have a good job and a understanding woman. Ok I have a uninformed woman. If she knew how much I spent on my cars she would kill me. I just picked up a 20g^8cm turbo for my WRX. I told her I traded my old one and $100.00 for it.

Originally Posted by dannyz
Dude, post up some pictures when your done.
A good many of us love those 3rd gen F-body's!
Especially the IROC's.
No doubt on that one. I'm planning a work log with lots of photos. This will be my biggest project yet so I want a record of it. Scary thing is I wasn't thinking of picking up a 240sx and doing a RB26 swap into it. But thats been done over too much. Plus I already own the IROC and it's been a good car. Picked it up in 1997 for $2000.00 and the only thing I every had issues with was the cats got clogged up. My mechanic fixed that issue. $200.00 per year for a car. No bad if you ask me.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
Well I have a good job and a understanding woman. Ok I have a uninformed woman. If she knew how much I spent on my cars she would kill me. I just picked up a 20g^8cm turbo for my WRX. I told her I traded my old one and $100.00 for it.
Keep her away from LS1tech!!!

Oh, if you do an STS, DO NOT put 4.10's!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Oh, if you do an STS, DO NOT put 4.10's!!!
That bad? I had a feeling it was too much gear for it but wasn't sure. I'm still in the planning stages and those plans seem to change everyday. A friend of mine did a home made STS kit on his C5 so I'll consult him on that.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

My brother has a Black 87 IROC, 20th Ann. L98 with True Duals and K&N's and Im pretty sure it will take a new Tiburon V6.
Its around 240bhp,350btq.
I'm not going to stick up for any 305 TPI because ive rode in two of those and I was not impressed at all.
Although I have rode in decent L98's.

I know on paper the motors look the same for output, 190hp compared to 210/215, but from what I have experienced there is a definitive difference.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

I own a 91 z28 350 tpi. Bored .060 over with forged internals, and full bolt-ons, and some weight reduction.(Used to run nitrous) and on the motor it would give my 01 SS a pretty damn good run for it's money. Once I hit 3rd in my 01 ss i'd probably pull pretty hard but down low the L98 will hold it's own. Especially in stop light races if you have sticky tires.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice kills in the WRX man. Good luck on your buildup!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
That bad? I had a feeling it was too much gear for it but wasn't sure. I'm still in the planning stages and those plans seem to change everyday. A friend of mine did a home made STS kit on his C5 so I'll consult him on that.
The STS is certainly proven for power, but it isn't exactly known for its quick spool... Hypothetically, suppose full boost came on at 3,800 RPM with 3.42's in an F-body. This same car then switches to 4.10's. Now, full boost would come on at 4,500 RPM, for example.

The higher the gear ratio goes, the lower the load is on the turbo, producing slower spool... This is an important issue for front mounted turbo F-body's, but it is SPECIALLY IMPORTANT on a remote-mount!!! The same goes for the Corvette.

Some STS cars that are not properly set up do not even see full boost in first gear at all, even without any wheelspin. This is a very important consideration for a remote mount.

Oh, good kills with the Subie.