Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Chromoly

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chromoly

Can someone help me out and tell me what parts its worth to go chromoloy or adjustable parts?
Old 11-04-2008, 07:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nutshell: moly steel weighs just the same as regular mild steel but it's a stronger material, this means that less of it can be used to construct the exact same part. less material of greater strength but the same mass = lighter part that's still as strong. this is good because you'll lighten the load (good for suspension parts) but it will cost you more. adjustable parts come into play if you'll be racing (be it drag, road racing, autox, etc) or lowering your car. they allow you to adjust things like castor, camber, toe, rear end alightment and other suspension geometries to keep everything in the right place to retain ride quality and tire wear on a modified street car or to tune your suspension for whatever kind of racing you'll be doing.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the actually weight savings; is it worth the extra money to save weight? let me put it this way; say you're replacing the whole rear suspension and tq arm (LCA, PHB, TQ Arm, ect). What would be the weight difference between mild steel and CM?

IMO 5lbs isn't worth the extra money, but say, 10-15lbs would be; or am i looking at this wrong?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Not sure how much total on that setup but holding an A arm made of moly in one hand and mild steel in the other, you can tell a big difference (due to the wall thickness on moly is thinner and just as strong). Just dont have a scale to weigh them....

Last edited by Otto-813; 11-06-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

^I don't think the weight is the item to debate.. If it's a stronger part, you won't have to worry about it.. Personally, I do everything CHMLY on my car.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^I don't think the weight is the item to debate.. If it's a stronger part, you won't have to worry about it.. Personally, I do everything CHMLY on my car.
Thats the whole reason people use moly is because its lighter and just as strong.

Originally Posted by SS101
nutshell: moly steel weighs just the same as regular mild steel but it's a stronger material, this means that less of it can be used to construct the exact same part. less material of greater strength but the same mass = lighter part that's still as strong.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

depends on your budget! not sure about the exact weight savings