Need some adivice on a brake setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some adivice on a brake setup

Hey guys, My brakes are toast, Plus the car gets put away next weekend anyways

I have a 93 lt1

I have no problem. cutting the spindles. Alot of ppl that I have talked to have said that the ls1 brakes will be a comparable upgrade to the c5 from what I have stock.

I am getting 17 inch wheels over the winter, So What I was thinking about for a starting set up would be to get the C5 Brake brackets Using a c5 brembo rotor with the ls1 caliper ( Proly a used one I can rebuild) . A hawk pad and stainless lines for the front and back.

This would be instead of swaping to a ls1 spindle rotor and caliper set up before going to the c5 rotor

As well I have read that the gto Caliper is the same as used on the c6 and will fit in the same bracket.

Does this sound like a good upgrade? And then I can upgrade the caliper and to a different rotor in the future. I am trying to keep the initial cost between 400-500

Here are the kind of roads I take daily

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITXgcn4GMGU
Old 11-06-2008, 06:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

LS1 brakes work fine when you use good parts. The trouble is most don't, and to be very, very honest the C5 stuff is way too much like the LS1 stuff to be considered a huge upgrade. Some see it that way, but then they also changed stock pads, lines, etc. for new pads, fluid, lines when they did the C5 upgrade.

C5/C6 calipers are the same design as an LS1. The pads are almost identical in size. The rotors for a C5 are 12.8", vs. an LS1's 11.8, vs. your 10.5"

I know it's not popular to say that C5/C6 isn't necessary, but frankly unless you do a lot of track days (road-course type stuff) and need the extra cooling capacity of the 12.8" rotors, it's largely a waste of time and money.

I recommend you go to LS1 stuff. You can still use good rotors (we have Brembo, ATE, and a few others), Hawk pads, stainless lines and good fluid.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-06-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a C5 brake upgrade owner, i will agree with Sam, especially if you are trying to keep the cost down. The LS1 brakes are AWESOME and work great with a good rotor/pad/fluids. Sam has great prices has well.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

The only down side to upgrading to LS1 brakes is getting your hands on spindles that are not bent. If you go to a junk yard, try to see the car they came off of.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the reply same, I looked at some of your packages and I will proly be giving you a call this winter as I want to lower the car as well

Originally Posted by chavez885
As a C5 brake upgrade owner, i will agree with Sam, especially if you are trying to keep the cost down. The LS1 brakes are AWESOME and work great with a good rotor/pad/fluids. Sam has great prices has well.
Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
The only down side to upgrading to LS1 brakes is getting your hands on spindles that are not bent. If you go to a junk yard, try to see the car they came off of.
Thanks for the replys guys.
I guess what I am trying to decide is since I would need to change the spindles anyways. If it makes more sense to spend the money I was going to on spindles on the caliper brackets. And since I was planning on getting new rotors anyways get the c5 rotors and use a ls1 or gto caliper which ever I may find new or used.

That was my thinking behind it,
Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I'll add C5 rotors weigh more. That's addition unsprung weight, but also more flywheel mass. If you need the rotor size for heat dissipation that's one thing. If you don't you aren't gaining anything, and in fact in small ways hurting performance (just a touch).

This is the classic case of using what works for the need. More isn't necessarily better, sometimes more is just more.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a whole front K member from a 99 WS6 for sale if you want it, its complete suspension and breaks and nothing is bent!

Quick Reply: Need some adivice on a brake setup