Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sfc

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sfc

What should i expect to pay to have them welded on my car? Just trying to get an idea so i don't get screwed.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

if you prep the connectors, grinding off the powder coat so they can weld clean.

and prep the frame in the same fashion.

it should be about an hour of time on the rack. really isn't hard once they are prepped.

and make sure they weld them up using a drive on rack, with full weight on the wheels. otherwise they may weld a tweak into the frame.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Depending on the shop and location the average cost is $80-$150

With our set-ups there is no grinding or modifying needed and they go right in place... this means no additional labor for you to have to pay for Or we have the bolt in set-ups as well which you can do yourself and have welded at a later date.

We quoted a customer $80 to install a set of a competitors SFC's thinking it would be a quick easy install... well we were wrong. There SFC's did not fit well and required a lot of grinding and prying to get them in place. This changed his install price but he understood since he was there and saw the poor fitment. Needless to say he bought the rest of his suspension from UMI

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 12-15-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

yea i just bought a set for 80 bucks new from a guy on here. he didn't know who they were made by because they were a gift. he was selling his car and never put them on. hopefully they are good. i'll post pictures later on. maybe somebody can identify them.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Is it recommended to get the bolt-in ones welded eventually? If so, what is the point of not just going the route of weld-in ones right away?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by toothdoc
Is it recommended to get the bolt-in ones welded eventually? If so, what is the point of not just going the route of weld-in ones right away?
If the vehicle is aggressively raced we highly recommend to weld in any SFC's. Many people do not have the capability of welding so the bolt on's work nice in this case... a lot of people will also install the bolt on's themselves and have them welded at a later date when they are ready.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you!

Ryan
Old 12-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the quick answer! My car is a daily driver that will see the drag strip maybe twice a year or so. I just want to tighten things up a bit, so the bolt-in ones sound like they would work in my situation.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 AM
FormerVendor

Yep the bolt ins will be just fine.... and if you get more serious down the road and start racing more you can go get them welded

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 12-15-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

UMI...

so your SFC don't come with any coating??

what about rust?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:56 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by teke184
UMI...

so your SFC don't come with any coating??

what about rust?
All our SFC's are powder coated Red or Black free of charge... we do not sell them uncoated unless it is requested by the customer
Old 12-15-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

With our set-ups there is no grinding or modifying needed and they go right in place... this means no additional labor for you to have to pay for Or we have the bolt in set-ups as well which you can do yourself and have welded at a later date.
the bolded section is what i was refering to. i had to "grind" off the powder coat so the weld was cleaner.
and on the frame you might need to "grind" off the undercoating.

doing THOSE things yourself will save time billed by your installer.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by teke184
the bolded section is what i was refering to. i had to "grind" off the powder coat so the weld was cleaner.
and on the frame you might need to "grind" off the undercoating.

doing THOSE things yourself will save time billed by your installer.
I was not referring grinding paint or powder coat as "grinding"... this is something the buyer should know if they have any type of fabrication ability or knowledge... we are referring to grind metal on the car or item to get it to fit in place or a hole to line up. We have seen some companies items not fit well causing the buyer to do modifying for a proper fit.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the 2-point bolt on's and have had no issues with anything coming loose. I plan on welding them in place sometime in the near future.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can you do the bolt on sfc without a special rack?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

I notice there is some side to side play at the front of the bolt in 3 point SFC. Where do they need to be in this side to side play, since the hole is so large?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:58 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by sstg
Can you do the bolt on sfc without a special rack?
No you do not... the installation can be completed very easily in your driveway with a jack, jack stands and basic hand tools. Not fancy tools or lift needed and depending on your experience and skills the install can be completed in a 1/2 hour - 1 hour. The bolt on kits include all hardware needed and detailed installations instructions with pictures.

4WOFURY- Due to vehicle tolerances we do make the holes slightly larger for a guaranteed fit on every vehicle. Install all bolts in the SFC and center the bolts in the holes and tighten. Also center the SFC in the indent in the floor of the car and make sure its not rubbing the floor anywhere before tightening.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you!
Ryan

Quick Reply: Sfc