Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Needing advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing advice

So the other day I'm out crusing and something happened that made me realize that I should upgrade my suspension and my brakes. The only problem is, I have no clue where to start. I am looking to upgrade the suspension for straight line acceleration and obviously I want bigger more efficient brakes. I've done some searching on here, but haven't turned up alot that was really useable. Maybe I haven't been searching for the right thing, who knows? I was hoping maybe someone could get me pointed in the right direction. I am putting some 17x9.5 rims on it next month and then the suspension and brakes come next. Thoughts anyone?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can I replace the rotors and brake pads with ones that are supposed to be direct oem replacements and be okay? I think I may need some a new front shock on the drivers side. Can I replace it myself? I would do both at the same time. The only reason I think I need one is cuz it squeaks when I go over hills or dips or speed bumps.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the most important piece in your suspension is your shocks, i can tell you that much right now. im no brake expert but some good blank rotors like brembo blanks and some hawk hps pads too. o and dont forget some good fluid, very important.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

the brakes on ur car should be just fine for stopping power just replace the things that need to be lik new brake pads and rotors. and for the shocks u can replace them both yourself if you know wat your doin
Old 01-18-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Swift_01_z-28
So the other day I'm out crusing and something happened that made me realize that I should upgrade my suspension and my brakes.
So what happened? I'm guessing you spun out?
The only problem is, I have no clue where to start. I am looking to upgrade the suspension for straight line acceleration and obviously I want bigger more efficient brakes. I've done some searching on here, but haven't turned up alot that was really useable. Maybe I haven't been searching for the right thing, who knows? I was hoping maybe someone could get me pointed in the right direction. I am putting some 17x9.5 rims on it next month and then the suspension and brakes come next. Thoughts anyone?
If it is the case that you lost control, suspension made for straight line racing will only make matters worse.
As for brakes a good set of blank rotors (like brembos) and some good pads (like hawk pads) will be fine.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=17&ModelID=7
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=17&ModelID=7
Old 01-18-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, the car decided that it wanted to turn itself around on me. I was doing a little burnout and I pushed it too hard and the car pulled almost a 360 and then started sliding and went off the road. It was mostly my fault, but it seemed like my brakes didn't want to stop the car.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C5 brakes come into mind first. make sure theyll clear your rims however if you do go that route. i love mine and dont regret getting them at all. suspension wise. i did anti sway bars, TA, and adjustable panhard bar and its a totally different feel. subframe connectors might come next and then spring/shocks. it works out pretty good for what i want. but everyone has their own personal preference

Originally Posted by Swift_01_z-28
Yeah, the car decided that it wanted to turn itself around on me. I was doing a little burnout and I pushed it too hard and the car pulled almost a 360 and then started sliding and went off the road. It was mostly my fault, but it seemed like my brakes didn't want to stop the car.

that happens too. once you start going into a slide. the momentum of the car shifting its weight is alot of power for the brakes and tires to try and control. sometimes no matter how hard you hit the brakes your going to keep sliding
Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
that happens too. once you start going into a slide. the momentum of the car shifting its weight is alot of power for the brakes and tires to try and control. sometimes no matter how hard you hit the brakes your going to keep sliding
Yeah, I learned that the hard way. I got lucky though, I was in the middle of nowhere with no one around but me and the golden temptress and she damn sure got the best of me that day.