Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Could I do this without messing up anything?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could I do this without messing up anything?

Could put lowering springs and use stock shocks? A friend of mine told me you shouldn't do it because the stock shocks wont be able to handle it. Is this true?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are doing the labor yourself, it is highly recomended to do the shocks/struts and strut mounts (if needed) mainly for the fact that you're already in there, so why not?

When I put my Eibach Pro-kit on, the strut mounts were so rusted away they were useless and the stock shocks and struts had around 100k on them so I opted to replace them with Monroe synsa-tracs, which are pretty much an OE type shock.

However, I wish while I was replacing everything, I had done a little more research. I really want new shocks all the way around after only having the monroes on for a bout a year. I want something much smoother and more performance oriented.

So to make a long story short, you do not NEED to do the shocks and struts but I would If it were my car!!

Do it right once. . . the first time!!
Old 01-27-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Junkie

stock shocks SUCKED even at stock ride height.

replace them...you won't regret it.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Can you do it without "messing anything up"? Yes.

Should you? Not if you have the ability to get better shocks. It was mentioned before, the stock ones suck, and don't do a good job of dealing with stock springs, let alone lower and stiffer ones. Shocks are srping dampers--so a change in spring generally asks for a change in damping anyway, let alone when the stock stuff was pretty far off the mark.

I have customer on lowering springs with OEM shocks. The good news is most report the ride doesn't get worse. The bad news is the ride and stability of the car wasn't good to start with.

Let me put it this way. Your question is basically there suspension eqivilent of wanting to run bigger cam with stock heads, intake and valve springs..... Sure you can, but the result certainly won't be what you'd otherwise get with a proper combination of parts.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Thanks Sam, teke, and drummy, and steve for starting this thread. I'm about to do the same thing and this thread just saved me a lot of guess work.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought Konis from Sam after I purchased my springs. I read all of the stories about how horrible the stock shocks are and decided to do them all at once. I couldn't be happier and my car handles and rides great! Definitely ditch the stockers if you can.